overall

RATINGS: 212   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.29   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 243   ABV: 8.1%
In 1987, when we arrived in Bamberg, Germany for the first time, St. Otto was not there to greet two thirsty travelers in a rented Fiat. Heíd been dead for 848 years but we were alive, and our recent visit to the Belgian brewery of Orval only fanned the flames of our desire for fermented pleasures. the smoked malt(írauchí)beers of this lovely town where St. Otto was once bishop were our siren song, luring us into deep, exotic flavors that we never before imagined in beer. Three decades later we wondered what smoked malt might add to a Belgian-style dubbel ale. Here it is, an Otto revival of sorts. We hope it helps rejuvenate some of our brain cells that were martyred in Bamberg so long ago.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
phaleslu (6509) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - AUG 18, 2013
750 ml bottle via a trade a couple years ago. Probably a late 2010/early 2011 vintage. Pours a cloudy amber with a very big beige head. Virtually no smokiness, just some husky dryness on top of a lot of fruits- apples, grapes, plums- a hint of spice, and rye toast. Light-bodied, with a mellow, thin, smooth mouthfeel and low carbonation. Just not smoky. Probably too old, but still. This was a letdown.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Crispy34 (385) - Texas, USA - AUG 15, 2013
Bomber bottle. Aroma is has some smoke, but also a sour smell as well. Appearance is brown with some head. Taste starts out kinda belgian eSt then goes smoky. Palate is dry and smoky. Overall, a different beer in a good way. I would buy again. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
jbruner (2317) - Athens, Georgia, USA - JUL 26, 2013
Pours a hazy copper from the bottle with little to no head or lacing. Aroma is smoky grain and a hint of citrus, perhaps from the hops. Taste is smoky malt, bacon, and a dry, slightly bitter finish. Decent, but I think I like dark smoked beers better.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Lubiere (9998) - Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA - JUN 16, 2013
A hazed brown ale with a thin mocha head. In aroma, smooth smokey malt with light fruity notes, dark fruits, nice. In mouth, a smooth sweet candy sugar malt with dark fruits, banana, smoked malt, light molasses, well balanced.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
bigguns22 (678) - Maryland, USA - MAY 8, 2013
Pepper up front very unique but lite. Good but not great smokey and fruity and a lot of pepper notes but does not stand up to bold flavors best drank by its self . ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
twindog (261) - Hampstead, Maryland, USA - MAY 8, 2013
Not a lot going on noise or pallet nice pepper note light brown in color small head flavor leaves very quick ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
AirForceHops (3181) - Epping, New Hampshire, USA - APR 27, 2013
750 ml bottle. Got at Nikkiís in Providence, R.I. Murky brown color, no head. Smell is light smoked malt. Flavor is light smoked malt with some Light tones of malted wheat. Smoked brews arenít my cup of tea. I keep trying them hoping I will like them, well for what it is, it maybe good. Not for this guy.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
AdamJackson (2608) - Enfield, New Hampshire, USA - APR 27, 2013
Heavily smoked nose, very very smokey but it has sort of a peach nose as well. Whoa. this is a lager, right? Very thin, all smoke 100% smoke whoa.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
blankboy (6052) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - APR 25, 2013
My bottle [750ml] shared with HogTownHarry, JoeMcPhee, jercraigs & mabel. Pours a hazy ruby-red with some sediment and an average size lasting frothy beige head. Some lacing on the glass. Aroma of smoke, almost meaty, along with caramel malt, fruit, light hops and the smell of markers. Nice flavour of smoke yes but itís also quite fruity and yeasty -- different and enjoyable. Medium bodied. Man, I really liked this.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
dimenhetfield (2487) - , Florida, USA - APR 16, 2013
Bottle shared with friends. Definitely a good bit of smoke happening in this one. Like sticking your head in a camp fire. Smoked beers arenít really my thing but I was glad I was able to try this.