overall

RATINGS: 2298   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.58   EST. CALORIES: 159   ABV: 5.3%
Bottle: Filtered.
Ingredients: 2 row German pale malt; Czech Saaz, German Northern Brewer hops.
Heaps o’ hops are hiding under the full, frothy head of this elegant Pils. All German malt subtleties linger beneath a long dry finish of this classy quencher. One of Michael Jackson’s 500 Classic Brews

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
mwsf (360) - San Francisco, California, USA - JUL 18, 2002
Yellow fizzy beer in the kindest sense of the term. Wonderful hoppy, malty aroma. Huge frothy white head that lasts ’til the last drop. Quite bitter, crisp, clean, spicy, malty, hoppy flavor. Medium body. As first, I thought this was overhopped but by the bottom of the glass, the strong hop bitterness, flavor, and aroma had grown on me. This is a damn fine beer.

tartz99 (10) - USA - JUL 18, 2002
This may well be a perfect beer. From the bottle to the glass, it screams ’drink me’. There is a floral/spicy mouthwatering aroma. Wonderful. And the taste is pilsner perfection. A beautiful meld of hops and clean malt flavor. This beer is a must-have.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Jayb0 (1080) - Cherry Hill, New Jersey, USA - JUL 17, 2002
my favorite regularly produced beer from this excellent brewery

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Wilecat (66) - Charlotte, North Carolina, USA - JUL 15, 2002
nice color and slight floral aroma. Greats pils

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
TAR (2518) - Lafayette, Colorado, USA - JUL 11, 2002
UPDATED: AUG 24, 2011 What a heck happened? It now smells like yeast, and the hop aroma and flavor are rather dull and restrained. And the pilsner malt sorely lacks vividness. Rather unclean.

I continually revisit new batches in hopes of finding a good one. After years of doing so, I give up. This beer is far from the brightly lemony, herbal, peppery, and cleanly malty pils it once was. My last bottle was truly nauseating with downright putrid notes of circus peanuts, spent tealeaves, and vitamin B. Over the past five years or so, this beer has varied from almost drinkable to utterly poor, with this particular bottle being representative of the latter. My score represents the average relative to my countless experiences.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
RAUCHFEST (122) - PROSPECT PARK, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 10, 2002
better than any pils i had in germany or the world for that matter on draft at the brewery is the way to go a great hops and malt masterpeice

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
FlemishChar (224) - Virginia, USA - JUL 9, 2002
CORRECTION: I have just been informed that this beer does not contain Cascades bot Saaz and Tetts. Still, I swear I feel the spirit of Sierra Nevada in the hops.. Certainly doesn’t taste Bohemian flowery to me. ORIGINAL COMMENTS Very experimental pilsner, with Cascades instead of Saaz. It has a strong Cascade aroma reminiscent of Hop Devil or the SN stuff. The taste is like a lighter, crisper version of Hop Devil, with a brutal blast of hops and a long bitter finish. Not as malty and delicate as czech pilsners. The head is a sight to behold, I’ve never seen Pilsner Urquell or Czechvar produce such a beautiful, rocky head.. Looks like molten marshmallow.. Suprisingly easy to drink considering its extreme bitterness..

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
legion242 (2315) - Richardson, Texas, USA - JUL 7, 2002
Nice yellow color; Head left something to be desired; Grassy, wonderufl nose. Dry, grassy palate. A satisfying pils- maybe one of the best I have encountered.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
beerbukkake1956 (4) - New York, USA - JUL 5, 2002 does not count
The number of wines I have sampled is greater than the number of beers reviewed by the three most prolific raters on this site combined. I’m fairly new to beer, but I know what to look for in an alcoholic beverage. The first beer I recommend to friends is the Prima Pils. Even the staunchest Bud/Corona/Phlegm fan can instantly recognize that this is a quality brew that goes far beyond what one expects of a Pilsner, yet it is not an oddball brew. With decent body and a head that can only be described as ridiculous, this can easily fill the bill for one’s standard brew. Victory may well be America’s best overall brewery.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
hopscotch (9956) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - JUL 5, 2002
UPDATED: JUN 3, 2003 This beer rocks! I'm not a huge fan of pilseners, but this is a damn good beer. The nose is spicey, buttery and slightly floral...with a hint of honey. A sharp, well-hopped beer with a very crisp, dry finish. A hint of clover honey at the wee end. As I stated, not my favorite style, but a damn nice effort nonetheless!