Victory Resolution Porter

(RETIRED)
Victory Resolution Porter
     click to upload
overall

RATINGS: 32   MEAN: 3.65/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.6   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 249   ABV: 8.3%
This beer is the resolution, the final act, of our old brew house. Replaced by a new, German-built brew house this October, the old Century served us well, and deserved a chance to live its glory one last time. It has done so in Resolution Porter. Brewed to the Baltic porter style that is essentially a variant of the imperial stout style, Resolution Porter features 7 malts for rich depth of flavor. Characteristics of dark cherries and oak are apparent, but tempered by lager fermentation and cold aging. Hoist a glass of this extremely limited lager as you draft your New Year's resolutions. Malts: 6 imported, German malts and British roast barley Hops: 3 German and British varieties of whole hop flowers Alcohol by Vol. 8.3%

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
GrandpaSteve (10) - Downingtown, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 2, 2005
Ok, I’ve never had a Baltic Porter before, I just know a wonderful beer when I taste one. The beer was very dark in color with a rich tan head. The aroma was a dark chocolate and mellow smokey maltyness. This was exceptionally smooth with wonderfully balanced malts. As my friend and I were drinking it we wondered at the alcohol content. He said 4.5, and I said it was probably 5 or 6. We were blown away when we asked and found out it was 8.3. I would have never guessed it was this high. Again I noticed how full bodied and smooth this beer was without being syrupy. The beer left a nice lacing on the glass. I could have had a few of these, but instead I got a growler filled to go. It went great with a pork roast dinner on New Year’s day. I hope Bill and Ron find a reason to make this again - it really shows of their skills with lager.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
egajdzis (5336) - Spring Mount, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 31, 2004
UPDATED: JAN 17, 2005 Poured an opaque black color with a medium sized, tan head tha tleft nice lacing on the glass. Aroma of dried fruits, smoke and roasted malts. Taste of lightly sour cherries and various other dark fruits, burnt chocolate, toffee, and bitter coffee. Full/round mouthfeel. Much better fresh off draft than getting growlers or hand bottled samples.