Victory Resolution Porter

(RETIRED)
Victory Resolution Porter
     click to upload
overall

RATINGS: 32   MEAN: 3.65/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.6   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 249   ABV: 8.3%
This beer is the resolution, the final act, of our old brew house. Replaced by a new, German-built brew house this October, the old Century served us well, and deserved a chance to live its glory one last time. It has done so in Resolution Porter. Brewed to the Baltic porter style that is essentially a variant of the imperial stout style, Resolution Porter features 7 malts for rich depth of flavor. Characteristics of dark cherries and oak are apparent, but tempered by lager fermentation and cold aging. Hoist a glass of this extremely limited lager as you draft your New Year's resolutions. Malts: 6 imported, German malts and British roast barley Hops: 3 German and British varieties of whole hop flowers Alcohol by Vol. 8.3%

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
shameusburp (171) - Virginia, USA - FEB 7, 2005
Thanks to the manager of Victory brewpub for allowing me to take a growler back to VA. My first impression was a Storm King but a porter. Itís extremely smooth and drinkable.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
GrandpaSteve (10) - Downingtown, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 2, 2005
Ok, Iíve never had a Baltic Porter before, I just know a wonderful beer when I taste one. The beer was very dark in color with a rich tan head. The aroma was a dark chocolate and mellow smokey maltyness. This was exceptionally smooth with wonderfully balanced malts. As my friend and I were drinking it we wondered at the alcohol content. He said 4.5, and I said it was probably 5 or 6. We were blown away when we asked and found out it was 8.3. I would have never guessed it was this high. Again I noticed how full bodied and smooth this beer was without being syrupy. The beer left a nice lacing on the glass. I could have had a few of these, but instead I got a growler filled to go. It went great with a pork roast dinner on New Yearís day. I hope Bill and Ron find a reason to make this again - it really shows of their skills with lager.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
jasonp (1555) - Leesburg, Virginia, USA - FEB 6, 2005
Sampled at jeffc666ís gathering, compliments of Shaemus_Burp. Clear dark brown with ruby edges and a light brown head. Roasty coffee nose with a good dose of hops. Taste has a bunch of roasted malt along with notes of chocolate, dark fruit, pipe tobacco and more hops. Gets more flavorful as it warms...Roasty finish with a touch of alcohol. Very, full, round and creamy on the palate, just awesome. I loved this.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
DocLock (7861) - Lower Pottsgrove, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 5, 2005
Pours raven black with a big, tan head. Aroma of malt, chocoff, slight cherries, vanilla, and oak. Tastes malty, with some chocoff, subdued cherries, and a slight oaky dry finish that is very characteristic of a Baltic porter. I could picture myself in the Baltic drinking this with a 300 dollar call girl next to me. I resolve to have more of this in 2005.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
dberger624 (1028) - Phila, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 22, 2005
Draft at the Grey Lodge. Solid Porter. Wasnít as sweet as some othe baltic porters I had but it still was very good. Nice roasty flavor to it. Dark as night.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
csbosox (1223) - Prairie Village, Kansas, USA - JAN 16, 2005
First of all, thanks egajdzis/Eric for the chance to try this beer. Expertly hand-bottled 12oz from a growler. 56į. Sampled in NB Worthy glass. Dark black with a light brown head that dissapates quickly. Nice lacing. Roasted malt nose with citrusy hops and a touch of chocolate. Flavor is roasted malt that is initially sweet then slighty sourish with cherry notes and a hint of citrusy hops with a long balanced finish with lingering flavors. The 12oz were gone too fast and it pains me that I canít open another and enjoy it all over again. This is a great porter.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
hopscotch (9163) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - JAN 18, 2005
Hand bottled by egajdzis... This beer rocks!... Very, very dark lager with no head worth mentioning (just a creamy, beige ring holding the beer within my snifter). Ruby highlights when held up to the Sun. I really gave this lager time to warm. It stands at 60 degrees F. The nose is of chocolate, light sourgham molasses, dark cherries, dark fruit, seared toffee and alcohol. The flavor is sweet and chocolatey up front, but finishes with citrusy hops and roasted notes and is a touch acetic. Full-bodied with a heavy, oily mouthfeel and mild carbonation. Lengthy, mocha, dry finish. So very underrated. World class effort by Victory!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Volgon (2763) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - JAN 30, 2005
XBF05: Clear ruby with a very small white head. Roasted chocolate and light hops in the aroma, starts and ends lightly sweet, with a touch of acidity at the end. A yummy porter.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
axilla (962) - New Providence, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 18, 2005
Enjoyed this one at the brewery while watching Philly stomp the Vikings. Very dark body with a head that appeared to be a giant cluster of little beige pearls. Aroma is dark chocolate and sweet carmel. The flavor very roasted, blackened. Some sweet cherry flavor followed up with a nice bite. Very nice!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
BuckNaked (1230) - Tempe, Arizona, USA - FEB 6, 2005
Bottle sampled at jeffc666ís B-day gathering 2/6/05: Thanks to shaemus_burp for this one. Dark, near black body with a small tan head. Aroma is chocolate, charred chocolate, alcohol, fruit, fennel, pear, apple, and some nice hop notes when swirled. Taste is charred chocolate, hops, grapefruit, dark roasted malts, spicy yeast, pear, apple, grains. Very sticky and syrupy. Medium body.