overall

RATINGS: 3036   WEIGHTED AVG: 4/5   EST. CALORIES: 273   ABV: 9.1%
With a huge, Pacific Northwest hop aroma & character upfront, Storm King subsides into massive, roast malt complexity. More flavor than mere words can adequately describe. Rich and substantial, it will warm your heart.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
entertheiceman (242) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - MAR 2, 2005
UPDATED: APR 21, 2005 Bottle from 11/02 drank on 3/1/05. Kinda dissapointed in this one after reading all the hype. Seemed thin and had too much emphasis on dark fruit flavors and no coffee presence. I have one more bottle from 02 and I will try to rerate when I finish that off.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
TC29 (1) - LIBERTYVILLE, Illinois, USA - FEB 25, 2005 does not count
i had it on tap at the firkin in libertyville. i heard it was not going to be on for very long.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
IslandHaole (1228) - Mililani, Hawaii, USA - FEB 22, 2005
Bottle code 081 A3, no idea how old this is. A medium light brown head tops off this used motor oil black brew. Wow, nearly IPA-ish with these floral Cascade hops but sniff slower, deeper and the rich chocolate roasty malt profile comes through. Smells like the best of both worlds, pleases both the hop head and malt lover in me at the same time. A delicious, well balanced mixture with the dark roasty malts and the bite of the hop. A smooth creamy feel only adds to the experience of drinking this. Oh man this is GOOD! Can’t wait to get my paws on more of this, thank you Belle!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
Enormo (26) - Davenport, Iowa, USA - FEB 21, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 23, 2005 Bottled on Dec 7, 2004. I can almost guarantee that I had a bad bottle of this. I had it last year and thought it was better than expedition. But I never got around to rating it. I hate to give this such a low rating, but I have to. The smell of hops that I remember was nowhere to be found. The body seemed very thin and it tasted much sweeter than I remember. Tasted more like a dunkel than an imperial stout I am hoping the other 5 bottles do not disappoint as this one did. If one of the other bottles live up to expectations I wll re-rate.

StewardofGondor (1934) - Washington Heights - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - FEB 21, 2005
UPDATED: NOV 18, 2005 2005.
Thinner than last year’s and I can see some light coming through the snifter. Hops are fresher than hell, and the roasted malts are only moderately amplifying flavor to a tune of mocha bitterness, but with only half the requisite chocolate sweetener. We’ll revist this one next year and/or when I crack open its counterpart aging in the cellar.

2004.
Medium viscosity, shallow off-white head. Smells of floral hops, cloves and malts. Wonderfully flavorful. Rich, smooth; can’t taste the alcohol but I can feel it going to my head. Burnt dark chocolate, slow brewed coffee and roasted malt. Bitter finish. God bless imperial stouts. Special thanks to goldtwins for the bottle!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Jan Primus (160) - Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA - FEB 20, 2005
Pours black with a condensed, lasting tan head. Aroma is hops and coffee. Taste is hops, malts, coffee, chocolate and liqourice. Very complex, everything perectly balanced, mouthfeel is extraordinary. Alcohol is completely hidden. Whoever can pick this up locally is very fortunate.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
hellomynameis (876) - Mayer, Minnesota, USA - FEB 18, 2005
Lots of sweet malts, chocolate and roast aromas. It is a super dark brown colour with a thin but persisting head. This, creamy, and smooth, the flavours of bakers chocolate, roasted malt, hops and maybe a hint of coffee fill my mouth. This was really great.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
FROTHINGSLOSH (6621) - GREENSBURG, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 16, 2005
UPDATED: MAY 16, 2015 I have managed to enjoy this beer a number of times both in draft and from the bottle. This fine brew pours thick, black and oily with a small creamy dark brown head. The aroma is bakers chocolate and moderate floral hops. The flavor is very bitter with notes of bakers chocolate, floral & perfumey hops, roasty malts and anise. The mouthfeel is thick and full. Long bitter finish with anise and floral hops that coat the tongue and refuse to leave. The draft tends to be less hoppy and has more depth to the chocolate flavor. I prefer the draft but would not shy away from the bottle on this one.

Saarlander (1686) - Saarlouis, GERMANY - FEB 15, 2005
My special beer for valentines day!Poured dark, with a dark tan head. Alcohol was covered very well, and flavor was a nice bitter chocolate, coffee. I enjoyed this Imp Stout alot! Thanks to my secret santa, pineypower!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
BeerAteHer (384) - St. Paul, Minnesota, USA - FEB 14, 2005
Typical malty stout aroma. Taste follows a basic formula - a sweet stout with a hefty proportion of hops mixed in. Alcohol fairly well hidden (think how proportionally close to a huge glass of wine this is!). My personal preference is for a dry stout but this is quite respectable. Has similarities to classic cognac.