RATINGS: 2967   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.01/5   EST. CALORIES: 273   ABV: 9.1%
With a huge, Pacific Northwest hop aroma & character upfront, Storm King subsides into massive, roast malt complexity. More flavor than mere words can adequately describe. Rich and substantial, it will warm your heart.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Jeppe (2631) - Brooklyn, Alabama, USA - MAR 21, 2004
What a perfect beer to rate for my 400th! This is one of the best beers I have ever tasted!! Huge thanks to Denton (Jokes) for trading me this!!
Pours a tar black body with a beautiful tan head. The aroma is absolutely delicious! Bitter chocolate, roasted malt and toffee - full and heavy! I don't really feel like drinking this, I could be inhaling it all night long....!! Very soft and smooth mouthful. Full-bodied flavor of chocolate, raisins, dark roasted malt with some citrus in the background. An outstanding and extremely complex stout! Can't wait to taste it on draught - could it be my first perfect 5.0?

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
rajendra82 (998) - Alpharetta, Georgia, USA - MAR 19, 2004
UPDATED: DEC 17, 2005 Pours an inky dark black with brown highlights, with a khaki head that disappears pretty quickly. The remaining carbonation has a hard time working itís way through the syrupy thick body. The first whiff is that of dark chocolate, raisins, and licorice. Further sips reveal hop spiciness, burnt wood like maltyness, and medicinal tasting alcohol. Oily mouthfeel with slick molasses like consistency. Not as much roasted barley taste as I was expecting, but very smooth and relatively easy to drink for such a bold brew. The hight ABV is very deceptvely hidden under there.

This is my second bottle of this wonderful beer, which came as a part of the Secret Santa 2005 package from BA Riggsy. The first time I had it, it was an year old sixpack. This time it is fresh. Compared to the review of the aged bottle, this fresh sample poured a lot more foamy, and had a leafy hop presence that dwarfed eveything else. Felt more like I was drinking a union of a DIPA and an RIS. Teeth coating bitterness, over the top roastiness, and fantastic citric notes made this one of the most drinkable Impreial Stouts to have sampled. Oh how I wish I had more.

kbjames (244) - Utah, USA - MAR 17, 2004
UPDATED: AUG 13, 2004 This is a very very good imperial stout by victory. Nice dark coloring, lots of roastiness and carmelization. Don't pass this one up

pootzboy (1671) - Hawgville, Ontario, CANADA - MAR 16, 2004
I like a good Baltic or London XX porter so trying this Victory stout was done on a friend's advice. I'm glad I took the bait. The first thing one notices about this porter is the incredibly complex aromas. The balance is biased towards the hops between chocolate-fruity sweetness and bitter hopping. The mouth feel is full and rewarding and it has a dry-ish tart finish as the hops take over the delicious complex musty body. Poured a dark smokey mahogany that denies light to be seen through it (Crystal clear cola poured in small quantities). Smallish brown head dissipates quickly and goes to a thin ring that clings to the sides of the glass for the rest of the drink. Pungent smells of musty chocolate and cherries and licorice....deeelicious! Starts with a strong surge of full bodied sweet maltiness with smoky- chocolate accents and hints of fruit then thins out a bit on the back of the palate as the hopping kicks in and becomes a dry biased taste of bitter sweet mustiness as the "warming effect" of an "imperial" strength beer kicks in. A very good strong stout ...if there is a fault it is that it may be a tad too strongly hopped for the style. This is a really good beer if not a great beer but aging would definately improve it's character. Iíll put a case in the cellar and be back for more next winter.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
neojon (1) - Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 16, 2004 does not count
Bottled on 11/18/03, same as my 21st birthday, drank on 3/16/04. Pours dark black with dark brown head. Couldn't detect the alcohol with the chocolate coffee malt flavor taking over. Man, I'm glad I picked up a case of this stuff. My first Storm King, and not the last.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
brownaler (414) - Alexandria, Virginia, USA - MAR 16, 2004
UPDATED: DEC 1, 2005 Re-rate: OK, this is a little bit better than I rememberd. Has the smoky aroma and great balance of milkiness and malt. Have to rate this baby before it gets too damn hot. Large tan head with fine bubbles and pitch black body. A grainy malt flavor in front and a velvety chocolate finish. Very nice, but I think I prefer Old Rasputin.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
slang (654) - Columbia, South Carolina, USA - MAR 15, 2004
UPDATED: JUN 7, 2007 Average initial head that dissipates quickly. Under this lies a completely opaque black stout. Not too much lacing but small traces of foam hold the edges. Nose is very sweet with chocolate hitting me first followed by some coffee-malty-ness. The taste is sooo great. It is bitter like bakers chocolate, but the hops really donít overwhelm. There is a slight taste of burnt bread, but even this is very pleasant. It was extremely drinkable with almost no trace of alcohol, more less 9.1 percent of it! The end is predominantly coffee like. My first Imperial Stout.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
Brewso (238) - Mt Kisco, New York, USA - MAR 14, 2004
This is why I think it is best to rate a beer after having a number of different experiences with it if possible. This past summer I had one from Nov '02 while I was sitting on the deck with a beautiful evening breeze. It was aged 8 months allowing the hops to mellow perfectly and the bold bittersweet chocolate malt coupled with the undetectable abv (along with the environment) created a heady tingly sensation. It was beervana. Since then I have had a bunch aged and young. All wonderful but none reaching the height of that experience. So yes I do believe circumstances effect ratings. That night was a 5. My rating here represents a more objective mean.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
dlclark (73) - Bloomington, Illinois, USA - MAR 14, 2004
This beer is a bargain. A great stout with a little hop kick. It's not lacking anything.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
HopasaurusRex (195) - Glen Ellyn, Illinois, USA - MAR 12, 2004
2002 bottling-aged over a year-Very lovely dark black color-seems totally opaque. After one year, still a solid hop backbone and a lovely roasty flavor with coffee and dark chocolate. Still seems to have the ability to age a few more years.