overall

RATINGS: 2852   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.01   EST. CALORIES: 273   ABV: 9.1%
With a huge, Pacific Northwest hop aroma & character upfront, Storm King subsides into massive, roast malt complexity. More flavor than mere words can adequately describe. Rich and substantial, it will warm your heart.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Kasteelfreak (341) - Fallbrook, California, USA - AUG 8, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 17, 2006 From my score you can tell Iím very excited about this beer. This is second to Alesmith Speedway stout. This is very smooth for the alcahol content. really chocolatey, sweeter than expected with nice hops in the finish. Rates up there with my alltime favorite. Maybe top five. I should open a Speedway to compare, but Iím way too hammered. Rerate 071605: Not how I remember it. I could see through it as I was pouring. Taste is dry, not as sweet as most imperial stouts. Lots of roasted bitterness. The light body is kind of a disappointment. Taste and body have Coca Cola qualities to it. Iím really not sure what to think. The roastiness is good, but itís just a little thin. Score decreased from 4.3 to 4.1. One pint taken off appearance and one taken off palate. Rerate 111706 bottled on 12/04: Like a fine wine- complex with subtle flavors. doesnít rely on being overpowering like most imp stouts. I wouldnít say this is thin, itís just an easier to drink imperial stout with excellent flavors and nice balance.

lunaticharness (183) - Torrance, California, USA - AUG 8, 2003
nice deep black beer with a decent aroma, the begining the beer was hoppy and refreshing, but the beer ended out to taste dull at the end, i dont know if that is because of the temp it reached or what.. but i do have 5/6 of a 6er left so i might be changing this review

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
SG (465) - Valley Center, California, USA - AUG 6, 2003
Black as black can be with a small, tan-colored head. It's like a blackhole sucking any light around into it. The smell is alcohol and a swarm of different malts. The taste is the same...big! Espresso-like bite with subtle hops that slowly get more notable. Smooth to bitter play with a slightly funky ending. It's great but something just ain't right. I'll have to get another one to compare but I'm not super impressed.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
andy609 (143) - Auburndale, Massachusetts, USA - AUG 4, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 14, 2005 I am aware that this is the top rated beer at that other site. Blacker than night with a nice reddish brown head. Nice hoppy aroma promises that this isnít your granddadyís stout. Nice hoppy flavor with a good malt accent in the finish. Nicely balanced. Canít taste alcohol in this one, surprisingly. I donít know what the most astounding thing about this wonderful brew is, the great name, the great taste or the great price. This is the best value in beer! Cheaper than some 40ís!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
deprogram (115) - Renton, Washington, USA - AUG 4, 2003
12 oz. bottle Victory's packaging excels, as always, with an understated but beautiful design. Here's to a lovely bottle, and a lovely taste, too - scent of sweet burnt chicory, retiring before the monstrous taste, sharp and tingling in layers of malt sweetness. Burning start, evenly balanced finish - this is a pleastantly hearty beer for a Monday evening. Bravo, etc.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
GreatStelle (363) - Chico, California, USA - AUG 3, 2003
I'm impressed with the excellent coffee flavor. So good, love the bitterness. Go buy this beer!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
DubbelO7 (42) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 30, 2003
Wow. What a presence. Huge body . Espresso-like in appearance as the label claims. Had been reading about this one on another beer site and had to try it. Had to call around to about 6 beer distributors here in Pittsburgh to find some. Most places said it was seasonal and they wouldn't get any 'til this Autumn. Mellinger's which is inthe Oakland section of town near the Universities has bunches of it, owner says he bought a shitload of it last Fall . At any rate... this is the beer that eats like a meal as they say . I prefer this type of stout over the dry Irish type. I used to think Murphy's was good but this is overall so much better IMO . Probably not the best choice for the hot humid weather we're getting this Summer but good nonetheless I suppose if you're in the air conditioning . I was impressed with Victory's Hop Devil and will surely try other beers of theirs. I recommend this one highly even if you aren't a stout person. It's a good frame of reference for an ideal stout. As good or better than Sam Smith Imp. stout and about $20 less per the case !

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
SJP (483) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 30, 2003
this thing is blacker than my lungs. Nice tan head and an aroma that makes me think I'm drinking an IPA. Very smooth going down, with a strong roasted malt flavor. The alcohol is noticable, but just barely. Damn good.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
AceOfHearts (1375) - Mountain View, California, USA - JUL 26, 2003
Bottle. Okay, FINALLY I have this beer, like 9 months after my brother drank one on his own without letting me sample it. We coined the phrase "I'm going to go storm king on you" based on this incident. Yeah. Motor oil pour, small head. Reminds me somewhat of a Stone RIS. Some fruit in the smell...dark malts, cherries, some mild hoppiness in the delicious flavor. Finally, my precious Storm King...

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
drinkbeer (283) - Redondo Beach, California, USA - JUL 25, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 2, 2003 Very nice. A lot more hoppy than I am used to for an Imperial Stout. nice roastedness and alcohol presence as well. Cool!