overall

RATINGS: 2812   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.01   EST. CALORIES: 273   ABV: 9.1%
With a huge, Pacific Northwest hop aroma & character upfront, Storm King subsides into massive, roast malt complexity. More flavor than mere words can adequately describe. Rich and substantial, it will warm your heart.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
irishsnake (355) - Oakland, California, USA - FEB 7, 2003
Pours extremely dark, with a brown, slow-forming but emphatic head. Nose shows a little age (raisiny), along with some roast and a little too citrusy a hop. Initial sweet flavor quickly overcome by combined bite of hops and roast malt. A very dry imperial stout. Hop flavor unfortunately too pronounced, and somewhat off target

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
Pjones6738 (500) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - FEB 5, 2003
Really dark. Here's an interesting one. Poured this into a pint-and-a-half glass I have. Tried my best to get some head out of it. When I set it down after pouring, it had almost no head. Half a minute or so later, it expands, and I now have about an inch of head, which isn't going away. Roasted chocolate aroma. Hmm...okay, I'm halfway through this glass, which I'm drinking rather slowly, and I have no idea what to make of it. A little more bitter than I'd expected of an imperial stout, but this is the same company that makes Hop Devil, so I suppose its to be expected. Its an odd taste, like pouring chocolate on a grapefruit. I can't decide if I like it or not. If this was supposed to be an imperial IPA, then I guess they've succeeded. Otherwise, I don't know. Raindog, the gentleman that he is, sent me two bottles of this, so I'll give my final opinion after having the other one.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
EddieG (169) - Palos Heights, Illinois, USA - FEB 5, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 13, 2003 Not what I expected this year... Sorry..lets talk shop to all others in area about adherence to style or not... Let me know. EDdie G

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
GregClow (2879) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - FEB 2, 2003
Colour is a beautiful opaque black with ruby flashes and a small mocha head. Rich, smoky aroma with hints of malt, chocolate and oily hops. Flavour is nice and mouth-filling, with the roasty malts and peppery hops in perfect harmony. Warm, lingering finish that becomes slightly boozy as the beer comes closer to room temperature.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
jskendzel (602) - Washington DC, USA - FEB 1, 2003
Very rich and sweet aroma right from the start. Poured thick and oily, somewhere in the middle of the road in consistency when compared to other Imperials I've tasted. Mouthfeel is good, and the profile consists of smoked malt, and some (but rather limited) toasted notes. Raisins too. Finish is mildly bitter. Alcohol well hidden. Not as thick as others I've tasted, but still a good example.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
winterlager (101) - Orchard Park, New York, USA - JAN 31, 2003
Very very good stuff...just goes down so smooth and just warms you...I could drink this to relax with and just begin with or end a evening with..

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
bac080 (398) - Bloomington, Illinois, USA - JAN 27, 2003
Victory Brewing sure does love their hops. I, however, do not. Not bad overall, but disappointing for an imperial stout.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
chronictonic (472) - Oreland, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 23, 2003
I've had this on tap several times this year - it's as good as ever. Fully body, rich malt flavors but with plenty of hop kick to keep it all in balance.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
JPDIPSO (4956) - Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 21, 2003
Black and opaque with a thick light chocolate head. Sweeter aroma - light hops and caramel. Starts with a light citrus and moves to a sweet chocolate, light licorice infused flavor. Hoppy yes, balance somewhat. While I enjoy the beer, the style is so off as to distract. An India Imperial Stout? I feel like the sorting hat in Harry Potter - "Where to put this one?". My second of two bottles - thanks to hopscotch, and my rating, (numbers, it all about the numbers) if not opionions, still waits. OK - Very good Beer but not world class!.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
JoeM500 (1904) - Crown Point, Indiana, USA - JAN 20, 2003
Bottle version from Venom, I must thank him again for our big year-end trade!!! Great Rogue-like hops all over this one (front, back, above and below!). The alcohol is never too much or in-your-face but will be evident after you drink one or two! Not the massively complex stout that I expected, but either was the Dark Lord that got my perfect rating. This is just a hoppy smooth stout with just the right amount of burnt coffee, roasted malt flavor and big alcohol to distinguish it from the rest. I'd love to sip this side by side with the other Imperials.