overall

RATINGS: 2826   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.01   EST. CALORIES: 273   ABV: 9.1%
With a huge, Pacific Northwest hop aroma & character upfront, Storm King subsides into massive, roast malt complexity. More flavor than mere words can adequately describe. Rich and substantial, it will warm your heart.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Nuffield (3671) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - FEB 12, 2003
Everything's done right here--great black color, thin caramel head. Aroma is slightly dull for what it is (even after it warmed more) but the flavor was tempered and balanced--dry, slightly bitter chocolate, hint of smoke, deep roasted flavors. I do agree it is a bit on the hop side of things, which I'm not as much of a fan of. Oily, easy drinking, good palate. If this were the only beer I could drink, I would complain, though I would miss the slightly better interpretations of the Imperial Stout as well.

beerguy101 (5286) - Newark, California, USA - FEB 10, 2003
Dark black color. Small head. Aroma is roasted malt, slightly chocolate. Full bodied stout. Big roasted malt flavor. Chocolate and coffee flavor. Kind of hoppy for an Imperial Stout. Very robust flavor. Smooth taste, slightly dry. Nicely balanced. Mouthfeel is full. Finish is clean and dry. Aftertaste is bitter.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
jgb9348 (4740) - Arlington (Pentagon City), Virginia, USA - FEB 10, 2003
Completely opaquely black in colour with a thin brown head. Small bubbles appear on part of the glass at certain areas. Fantastic smell with a hint of hops, malt and sweetness. Smells almost like heaven. Full-bodied taste with a great chocolate taste and many different 'roasted' tones. A full malt taste with a subtle amount of hops throughout the taste. A great overall beer, definately worth picking up if you are in the mid-atlantic -- noting it is much more reasonable in price than other imperials, such as Samuel Smiths, etc.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
ARMed (603) - Garnet Valley, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 9, 2003
Too bad this was the last beer I drank on my recent pilgrimage to Victory brewpub. Very smooth and tasty. Chocolately base with a smokey overtone. Dark and rich with a nice punch. Alcohol is hidden at first but soon becomes morte and more evident as you finish the pint. Nice aromatic sense abounds this beer. Wish I drank this as my first beer rather than my last.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
irishsnake (355) - Oakland, California, USA - FEB 7, 2003
Pours extremely dark, with a brown, slow-forming but emphatic head. Nose shows a little age (raisiny), along with some roast and a little too citrusy a hop. Initial sweet flavor quickly overcome by combined bite of hops and roast malt. A very dry imperial stout. Hop flavor unfortunately too pronounced, and somewhat off target

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
Pjones6738 (500) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - FEB 5, 2003
Really dark. Here's an interesting one. Poured this into a pint-and-a-half glass I have. Tried my best to get some head out of it. When I set it down after pouring, it had almost no head. Half a minute or so later, it expands, and I now have about an inch of head, which isn't going away. Roasted chocolate aroma. Hmm...okay, I'm halfway through this glass, which I'm drinking rather slowly, and I have no idea what to make of it. A little more bitter than I'd expected of an imperial stout, but this is the same company that makes Hop Devil, so I suppose its to be expected. Its an odd taste, like pouring chocolate on a grapefruit. I can't decide if I like it or not. If this was supposed to be an imperial IPA, then I guess they've succeeded. Otherwise, I don't know. Raindog, the gentleman that he is, sent me two bottles of this, so I'll give my final opinion after having the other one.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
EddieG (169) - Palos Heights, Illinois, USA - FEB 5, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 13, 2003 Not what I expected this year... Sorry..lets talk shop to all others in area about adherence to style or not... Let me know. EDdie G

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
GregClow (2892) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - FEB 2, 2003
Colour is a beautiful opaque black with ruby flashes and a small mocha head. Rich, smoky aroma with hints of malt, chocolate and oily hops. Flavour is nice and mouth-filling, with the roasty malts and peppery hops in perfect harmony. Warm, lingering finish that becomes slightly boozy as the beer comes closer to room temperature.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
jskendzel (602) - Washington DC, USA - FEB 1, 2003
Very rich and sweet aroma right from the start. Poured thick and oily, somewhere in the middle of the road in consistency when compared to other Imperials I've tasted. Mouthfeel is good, and the profile consists of smoked malt, and some (but rather limited) toasted notes. Raisins too. Finish is mildly bitter. Alcohol well hidden. Not as thick as others I've tasted, but still a good example.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
winterlager (101) - Orchard Park, New York, USA - JAN 31, 2003
Very very good stuff...just goes down so smooth and just warms you...I could drink this to relax with and just begin with or end a evening with..