overall

RATINGS: 2770   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.01   EST. CALORIES: 273   ABV: 9.1%
With a huge, Pacific Northwest hop aroma & character upfront, Storm King subsides into massive, roast malt complexity. More flavor than mere words can adequately describe. Rich and substantial, it will warm your heart.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 11/20
jonpop99 (2) - USA - NOV 21, 2002 does not count

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
bluemeow76 (693) - Lewis Center, Ohio, USA - NOV 20, 2002
Chocolatey espresso goodness! Nice pour and great warm aroma.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
aracauna (2994) - Georgia, USA - NOV 19, 2002
Imperial Stout Blind Tasting notes (11-16-02): Big hops, some chocolate, burnt. Mouthfeel feels a little thinner than you’d expect from the well formed head. <P>It seems that the trip in the mail may have done a little harm to the beers in the package this beer came in because it and 2 others seemed a little light on the head. Still, this slight defect did little to detract from the quality of the beer. Huge roasty, burnt malt hits the nose strongly hinting of coffee with lighter hints of caramel. The flavor pops your taste buds with more coffee, and caramel. Very rich and a bit sweet. The palate is a bit grainy, but still creamy without being to heavy. My first experience with the imperial stout has been a good one.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
iwantalambic (1478) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - NOV 18, 2002
Floral citrus hop aroma doesn’t seem to make sense at first coming from the purple black liquid without head. Huge roasted nuts and bitter chocolate shock the palate - just the opposite of what to expect from the hop aroma. The finish comes full circle and the sweet floral hops linger. An interesting and intriguing imperial stout, well done.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
hopnpop (69) - Wexford, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 18, 2002
This beer approaches near perfection, albeit if you’re a hop head desiring a nice stout. Aroma is more hops than anything else. Taste consists of more hops, cocoa & lightly toasted malts. This beer pours extremely well out of the bottle too.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Dogbrick (7243) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - NOV 17, 2002
Another winner from Victory. Bottled on 10-25-02. Thanks to urbnhautebourg for hooking me up with this one! Being a Stoutie I was really looking forward to this one and I was not let down. I was reminded of a cold cup of coffee as I poured, it was that color. Aroma of coffee, dried fruit and chocolate. Wood-burned flavor of malt, alcohol and espresso kept my interest throughout. I’d like to try a bottle that has aged a bit next time, because I have the feeling it would be even better. Thanks to Victory for living up to their name again!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
slimjim (106) - New Jersey, USA - NOV 12, 2002
Dark ruby to black in color. Full bodied. Hints of coffee. Roasted flavor. DELICIOUS. The best Imperial stout to date.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
CrimsonGhost1971 (188) - USA - NOV 9, 2002
Very impressive brew. Has a good mix of coffee and chocolate. Definitely worth every cent. ;)

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Jokes (1453) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - NOV 8, 2002
UPDATED: AUG 27, 2003 A revisiting of this Imperial Stout has shown me that I have rated this too high. I can't really explain it all that well, but while I'm a big fan of over the top, thick, rich beers, this one just doesn't do it for me. Massive hops, burnt coffee, bitter chocolate and warming alcohol all sound good to me, but here, I'm not sure it messes the way it should. Still enjoyable but a bit overrated in my books. At least this time around...

4.2 It's pretty think and certainly black. Not much head, and what's there quickly disappears. Aroma is made up of an astounding amount of cascade hops. Underneath, hints of chocolate, coffee, and dark fruit can be found, with a light touch of alcohol. A nice rich, full flavor is found, mostly of espresso moving through to a hoppy bitterness. It took me a couple of these to find my way past the hops. Come to find out I was past it in the beginning, but I wouldn't let myself be. Very pleasant and drinkable. I'm really glad I have 10 more.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Hopistotle420 (1178) - Amherst, Massachusetts, USA - NOV 6, 2002
UPDATED: FEB 24, 2004 Thick tan head, aromas of coffee, dark fruit, light hops in the background. Dark midnight black hue. Sweet malts supporting a full bodied bitter onslaught of cascades. This shit is warming, molasses, candied dark fruit, burn grain, chocolate/espresso. Very nicely done, im impressed.