overall

RATINGS: 2803   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.01   EST. CALORIES: 273   ABV: 9.1%
With a huge, Pacific Northwest hop aroma & character upfront, Storm King subsides into massive, roast malt complexity. More flavor than mere words can adequately describe. Rich and substantial, it will warm your heart.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
CrimsonGhost1971 (188) - USA - NOV 9, 2002
Very impressive brew. Has a good mix of coffee and chocolate. Definitely worth every cent. ;)

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Jokes (1453) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - NOV 8, 2002
UPDATED: AUG 27, 2003 A revisiting of this Imperial Stout has shown me that I have rated this too high. I can't really explain it all that well, but while I'm a big fan of over the top, thick, rich beers, this one just doesn't do it for me. Massive hops, burnt coffee, bitter chocolate and warming alcohol all sound good to me, but here, I'm not sure it messes the way it should. Still enjoyable but a bit overrated in my books. At least this time around...

4.2 It's pretty think and certainly black. Not much head, and what's there quickly disappears. Aroma is made up of an astounding amount of cascade hops. Underneath, hints of chocolate, coffee, and dark fruit can be found, with a light touch of alcohol. A nice rich, full flavor is found, mostly of espresso moving through to a hoppy bitterness. It took me a couple of these to find my way past the hops. Come to find out I was past it in the beginning, but I wouldn't let myself be. Very pleasant and drinkable. I'm really glad I have 10 more.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Hopistotle420 (1178) - Amherst, Massachusetts, USA - NOV 6, 2002
UPDATED: FEB 24, 2004 Thick tan head, aromas of coffee, dark fruit, light hops in the background. Dark midnight black hue. Sweet malts supporting a full bodied bitter onslaught of cascades. This shit is warming, molasses, candied dark fruit, burn grain, chocolate/espresso. Very nicely done, im impressed.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
obxdude10 (2027) - Limerick, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 3, 2002
Re-rate: This stout is something special now, after stopping by for another visit to their pub I sampled this again, and then I drank it the rest of the night, very excellent stout, lots of roasted flavors, a very malty & sweet aroma, color is pitch black, hints of coffee in the flavors, this is right up there (close, but just not quite there) with DFH WWS, very excellent stout

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
jbrus (4992) - Delft, NETHERLANDS - NOV 1, 2002
Not very strong but very nice chocolate and coffee aroma. Very black, light brown head with a pink glow, perfect lace. Full flavored, firm body, cofee. Toasted finish, bitter, little alcohol burn. Very much my kind of beer! Thank you Oakes!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
BIG746 (13) - Hockessin, Delaware, USA - NOV 1, 2002
This is a fine beer. Hops nicely balanced. I got a case from the brewery a month back with the intentions of laying some away. Ha! I just returned with another 12. Perhaps I can resist two of them for a while, but I doubt it....

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
SirHopsAlot (44) - Cockeysville, Maryland, USA - OCT 30, 2002
The car was a quart low, but now I have something to fix it with. What a great appearance this beer has. I love a beer that looks like motor oil. What a great beer. very full bodied with a great roasted malt flavor. nice undertones of chocolate and citrusy hops. Bravo Victory

MartinT (7760) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - OCT 26, 2002
UPDATED: SEP 15, 2010 A serene yet powerful citrusy hop aroma moves into pulsating mokaccino...A stream of chocolate and molasses gracefully covers the coniferous hop resins...With its vanilla edges, this Imperial Stout is not nearly as heavy as most American versions are these days...This is almost an Imperial Black IPA...

Aubrey (3431) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - OCT 19, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 19, 2005 Very black; not even a trickle of light seems to escape. Velvety and thick texture, but not overly syrupy. Right from the beginning, deep, dark chocolate exudes in gushes. Grassy, earthy hops follow through, carrying a healthy bitterness and taming the sweetness. Lesser notes of coffee and roast. Very tasty imperial stout.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Wakie (612) - Centreville, Virginia, USA - OCT 9, 2002
Dark black and evil. I liked it a lot. It poured like motor oil and looked like it too. Had a thick chicory aroma. Powerful full stout taste of malt, coffee, and hints of chocolate. The aftertaste reminded me of a freshly mowed lawn for some odd reason. A very rich, very full stout. Makes the Beamish taste like water.