overall

RATINGS: 2880   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.01   EST. CALORIES: 273   ABV: 9.1%
With a huge, Pacific Northwest hop aroma & character upfront, Storm King subsides into massive, roast malt complexity. More flavor than mere words can adequately describe. Rich and substantial, it will warm your heart.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
RotsaRuch (1) - Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 30, 2002 does not count
UPDATED: AUG 12, 2003 Had this year's brew on tap yesterday at Victory. Dark, beautiful and delicously hoppy. Bought a case to cellar. Aging will improve brew; much smoother and better balance.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Duffbeer (192) - Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 29, 2002
A very powerful stout. Vey hoppy for stout.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Discofish (152) - USA - SEP 28, 2002

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Prostman (1077) - Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 24, 2002
Like a darker, thicker version of HopDevil. I love my hops, but not in this style of beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
ElGaucho (2252) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - SEP 23, 2002
UPDATED: APR 13, 2004 4/13/04: Re-rate. Just one observation; this is one damn fine brew. None of the stomach ache I experienced during my first tasting a year and a half ago. And, I retract my statement that I wouldn't want another one. The hoppy finish is the signature distinction that makes this brew. 9/23/02: Apoptosis- So that's where my stomach ache came from minutes after finishing a Storm King! I guess it's the high, 9.1% alcohol content burning my insides. Nevertheless, a celebratory occasion for my first tasting of a Ratebeer Top 10 beer! And, I can see where all the hullabaloo is coming from. Storm King is technically brilliant. A rich, chocolatety/coffee-like nose; even the hops is evident, which is rare to pick up in an Imperial Stout with such olfactory complexity. The appearance is near perfect, if not perfect. All of the required elements: persistent, tan, fine-bubble head (root beer-like), contrasting black body and beautifully intricate brussels lace. This is a very rich, sweet brew; most certainly not a session beer. In fact, the sweetness would prevent me from even wanting to drink more than one in a sitting. In summary: an extremely well made beer, but so rich that I was not interested at all in having a second one.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
DaSilky1 (2606) - San Diego, California, USA - SEP 22, 2002
UPDATED: MAR 9, 2003 6/19/02: poured black with a big dark tan head...alcohol & coffee aroma...sweet coffee/chocolate flavor, thick mouthful Re-Rate 9/22/02: so smooth, silky, chocolatey, with plums dancing in warmed skies..re-rate 1/18/03: not so opaque, high carbination, strong hop profile for an imperial, and the mouthfeel wasnt that great..still a good beer though.. re-rate..either this beer is inconsistent or my palate is inconsistently retarded..but i got a watery mouthfeel here and a lack of any deep flavors that i enjoy in the great imperials.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
apoptosis (1317) - Denver, Colorado, USA - SEP 20, 2002
This stout has great chocolate-coffee flavor, which masks the high alcohol content...until it burns your esophagus. Nonetheless, I think this is an important addition to my ’favorite stout’ list.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Uglyradio (791) - Greenville, South Carolina, USA - SEP 17, 2002
Wow!! Great Imperial stout. I can’t describe the aroma this beer has. It’s wonderful. The balance of malts and hops is perfect, with no residual bitterness. I should have bought more of these while I was in DC.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Dickinsonbeer (5076) - Hoboken, New Jersey, USA - SEP 16, 2002
Definately the best Imperial stout I have ever had. Didnt even notice the 9% alcohol. Very complex, it had a dark maltiness with a slight taste of plum especially when it warmed up, and still had a good balance of aroma and flavor hops. They made this beer perfect as far as i’m concerned. Great as a nightcap, or to have with a hearty dinner.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Murphy (1759) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - SEP 14, 2002
Certainly a world class stout. Very thick and dark, lots of malt. I’d love to try this off draft someday. I’d take the Bells Ex Stout over this, but still very acceptable.