overall

RATINGS: 2915   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.01   EST. CALORIES: 273   ABV: 9.1%
With a huge, Pacific Northwest hop aroma & character upfront, Storm King subsides into massive, roast malt complexity. More flavor than mere words can adequately describe. Rich and substantial, it will warm your heart.

Aubrey (3482) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - OCT 19, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 19, 2005 Very black; not even a trickle of light seems to escape. Velvety and thick texture, but not overly syrupy. Right from the beginning, deep, dark chocolate exudes in gushes. Grassy, earthy hops follow through, carrying a healthy bitterness and taming the sweetness. Lesser notes of coffee and roast. Very tasty imperial stout.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Wakie (612) - Centreville, Virginia, USA - OCT 9, 2002
Dark black and evil. I liked it a lot. It poured like motor oil and looked like it too. Had a thick chicory aroma. Powerful full stout taste of malt, coffee, and hints of chocolate. The aftertaste reminded me of a freshly mowed lawn for some odd reason. A very rich, very full stout. Makes the Beamish taste like water.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
estoppel (1028) - Buffalo, New York, USA - OCT 3, 2002
UPDATED: JUN 28, 2008 RERATE 5/02: Wonderful coffee flavor plenty of malt and not overwhelmed by the hops. Rerate 3/05, bottled 12/04: Black body, good-sized tan head, nose of subdued hops and sweet chocolate. I notice that they removed "bottle-conditioned" from the label I hope they did not remove that characteristic from the beer. This somewhat smoother than the Storm King I recall, with less hop bite and bitter coffee and more rich chocolate. Coffee emerges as I work on it, and the alcohol presence diminishes. Some toffee has appeared in the nose. Mmmmm.

achilles4481 (11) - Albany, New York, USA - OCT 1, 2002

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
muzzlehatch (4422) - Burlington, Vermont, USA - SEP 30, 2002
Very dark, though not quite the engine-oil of some Imps; thick viscous head dies fairly quickly, leaving a thin trace above the impenetrable body. Nose is sweet latte, with maybe a touch of brandy. Flavor impressive, full, with the alcohol well-hidden, chocolaty-sweet and more readily drinkable than many; not as thick and chewy nor as harsh as other examples, a good balance; but perhaps a bit "weak" if that is the word, in comparison with the Kalamazoo and Rogue I’ve had recently; just doesn’t stand out as much as I expected it to. Very good overall, but just a might "tame."

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
RotsaRuch (1) - Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 30, 2002 does not count
UPDATED: AUG 12, 2003 Had this year's brew on tap yesterday at Victory. Dark, beautiful and delicously hoppy. Bought a case to cellar. Aging will improve brew; much smoother and better balance.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Duffbeer (192) - Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 29, 2002
A very powerful stout. Vey hoppy for stout.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Discofish (152) - USA - SEP 28, 2002

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Prostman (1077) - Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 24, 2002
Like a darker, thicker version of HopDevil. I love my hops, but not in this style of beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
ElGaucho (2282) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - SEP 23, 2002
UPDATED: APR 13, 2004 4/13/04: Re-rate. Just one observation; this is one damn fine brew. None of the stomach ache I experienced during my first tasting a year and a half ago. And, I retract my statement that I wouldn't want another one. The hoppy finish is the signature distinction that makes this brew. 9/23/02: Apoptosis- So that's where my stomach ache came from minutes after finishing a Storm King! I guess it's the high, 9.1% alcohol content burning my insides. Nevertheless, a celebratory occasion for my first tasting of a Ratebeer Top 10 beer! And, I can see where all the hullabaloo is coming from. Storm King is technically brilliant. A rich, chocolatety/coffee-like nose; even the hops is evident, which is rare to pick up in an Imperial Stout with such olfactory complexity. The appearance is near perfect, if not perfect. All of the required elements: persistent, tan, fine-bubble head (root beer-like), contrasting black body and beautifully intricate brussels lace. This is a very rich, sweet brew; most certainly not a session beer. In fact, the sweetness would prevent me from even wanting to drink more than one in a sitting. In summary: an extremely well made beer, but so rich that I was not interested at all in having a second one.