Serve in Tulip

RATINGS: 377   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.3/5   SEASONAL: Spring   EST. CALORIES: 135   ABV: 4.5%
It’s a lively jazz rhythm, a vigorous sway, a change of view or even a roll in the proverbial hay. Now it also means the welcome jolt of joy you’ll experience upon your first sip of this session saison. Bracing, but benign, this Belgian style ale enlivens any experience with a spicy, aromatic start, citrus snap and fresh finish. Swing into spring with taste!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
notalush (5514) - Denver, Colorado, USA - MAR 21, 2013
Let me preface this review by saying that I went in really wanting to love this beer - given the quality of helios, who wouldn’t? - by the middle of my first bottle, I was trying really hard just to like it - now, by the middle of my second bottle, I am trying hard not to hate it - first of all, it is not a saison - it is a dry wit - usually, I can be forgiving of adjunct-laden saisons - I had a local one recently that had quite a few adjuncts, but still managed to be quite tasty - perhaps because this is overspiced to the point of being unrecognizable as a saison, I cannot be forgiving - I like the dry, crisp character of the beer - however, all I can taste and smell are spices and a hint of tart citrus - overly bitter throughout - where is my baby helios, god dammit!?

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
MacBoost (1607) - Pouring Bus, New York, USA - MAR 21, 2013
Pours a very clear straw with a white head. No funk in the nose, disappointing. Aromas of lemon, ginger. Very light and dry on the palate. A nice little blonde ale, but this is not anywhere near Helios. Scroll past.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
mansquito (4479) - Nueva York, New York, USA - MAR 21, 2013
Somewhere... 12oz: Pours light golden with a white head. Aroma is farmhouse funk, flowers, and spice. Taste is bitter at the front. Funky. Full saison taste with a light body. Some aftertaste. Almost no sweetness.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
TheEpeeist (3608) - Media, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 21, 2013
12 oz bottle. Clear gold with a brief white head leaving sheets of lace. Nose is dough, light lemon and banana; simple but nice. Crisp then fluffy finishing with a buzz. Taste is lemon cookie, grass, ginger and radish. A touch of peppery heat lingers. I could do a sixer if i was in the right mood.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
jsmerig (1387) - Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 18, 2013
Pours a light yellow with a foamy white head and an active carbonation. Aroma of pumpernickel and lemon zest. Taste is grainy, grassy peppery with a bit of citrus. Dry and crisp but a little too bitter. Not my favorite style but a decent rendition nonetheless. Once and done. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
alexsdad06 (7463) - Ohio, USA - MAR 17, 2013
12 oz. bottle. Pours a slightly hazy golden color with a small to medium sized quickly disappearing white head. The aroma has a big herbal component, grass, light citrus with mild spices. The flavor also leans to the herbal side, light spices, grass, pale malts and light citrus. The key word with this is light; it is thin and soft on the flavors. I would put this in the worth trying once category. Nothing is bad, but there are many beers I would rather have again.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
jredmond (6670) - New York, New York, USA - MAR 17, 2013
Bottle with Ken during some Settlers of Catan. Pours a bright hazy yellow golden body and nice white lacing. Aroma is lemons, lots of yeast, spice, lavender, coriander and grass. Mouthfeel is super bitter, prickly carbonation with notes of zesty yeast, lemons, dry grassy hops and spice.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Ernest (6905) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - MAR 16, 2013
Bottle. Head is initially small, frothy, white, mostly diminishing. Body is medium yellow. Aroma is lightly malty (toasted grain), lightly hoppy (herbs), with notes of coriander, lemon peel, sage, peppercorns, lavender, etc. Flavor is moderately sweet, lightly to moderately acidic, lightly bitter. Finish is lightly sweet, lightly to moderately acidic, moderately bitter, spicy. Light to medium body, watery/velvety texture, lively carbonation. Fans of Helios have long wished Victory would make a lower-alcohol version of that wonderful beer. Well, you can imagine my excitement when my eyes locked on this brew sitting there quietly on the shelf...at least until I noticed that it said "spiced" on the label. So naturally I only bought one bottle, fearing the worst. And sadly, those fears were realized as soon as I poured it into my glass. They fucked this up with a ton of spices, like nearly every other American brewery would. God dammit. God fucking dammit. I hope you’re in the mood for witbier, because that is exactly what this is. Spices galore. Fuck. What a huge disappointment. Mind you, it’s an ok witbier...there’s no flaws per se (aside from the ass load of spices), and the flavor balance is good (other than the strong aftertaste of spices), but a saison it is not, nor is it the little brother to Helios that we all had hoped for. Please try again, Victory. I’m being serious...try again...make us a 4.5% Helios Junior. Please. Please. Please.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
TheBeerGod (5690) - Newport News, Virginia, USA - MAR 16, 2013
Bottle. Translucent gold pour with a short, dense, foamy white head. Spicy and grainy nose with hay, straw, flowers, yeast, earthy notes and herbs. Taste is spicy upfront with more grains, toasted malt, flowers, hay, straw notes, earthy hops, fresh herbs and citrus notes. Body is medium with a strong, prickly carbonation. Ends with more spiciness, strong herbal notes, yeast, grains, straw, grass, citrus and hay.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
DCLawyer (1969) - Falls Church, Virginia, USA - MAR 16, 2013
Bottle->shaker. Light gold with decent white head. Aroma has grains, yeast, citrus, pepper. Tastes of yeSt, spice, herbs, citrus. Light and mild. Drinkable.