Vintage Bourbon Barrel Scaredy Cat Stout

RATINGS: 4   MEAN: 3.67/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.11   ABV: -

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
dionysus (1449) - Arizona, USA - FEB 24, 2012
On cask @ Vintage. Pour is deep brown/black with a khaki head. Aroma shows light to moderate roast, with both dark/milk chocolate, oats, and seems a little sweeter than the original. Could just be my imagination though, but as other reviewers have mentioned, no bourbon to be found. Flavor is much like the original with maybe some additional tannin from the oak chips, but not too much overall variation. I had much higher hopes for this one, but in the end, it still turned out very drinkable.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
cbfobes (2153) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 30, 2011
On cask at Vintage in Madison, the bartender told me that this was Scaredy Cat aged with bourbon chips in it, so not a true barrel aged beer and that’s probably why the bourbon doesn’t really shine through much. Aroma and flavor is much of the same as the original Scaredy Cat with a little bit more roastiness in it. Good just doesn’t blow me away.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
MrPickles (438) - Waunakee, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 26, 2011
On cask at the brewpub. No hit of the bourbon on the nose at all. Flavor has none either. Taste and mouthfeel is incredibly smooth, but again NO bourbon at all. If I had this blind I would have enjoyed it even more, but I was a bit let down as there was no bourbon in there.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
madvike (2582) - Middleton, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 23, 2011
On cask at the brewpub - Pours dark black with a fine-bubbled tan head. Doesn’t smell at all like it’s bourbon barrel aged. In fact, it smells like regular Scaredy Cat, though more roasty than sweet. Lots of roast and charcoal on the nose, but none of the expected bourbon sweetness. Taste is the same roastiness, with chocolate and a bit of coffee and smoke. Is there a bit of sweetness in there, or am I just looking for it? I don’t know, but if the barrel is there, I’m really not getting it. Thin and a bit watery just like the original. Tasty, but just not getting the bourbon.