overall

RATINGS: 12   MEAN: 3.61/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.32   EST. CALORIES: 312   ABV: 10.4%
The “big brother” in our Belgian Abbey ale family. Subtle flavors of mandarin, pepper, tropical fruit and vanilla fused with a gently warming alcohol heat. Sinfully smooth for its towering strength.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Brigadier (3015) - Clevelandish, Ohio, USA - JUN 8, 2010
On tap at brewpub
This quad was a little bit of a letdown. Perhaps I was not in the mood for a huge beer at the time but whatever the reason this was the weakest link in the chain of five beers. Even so I would be willing to give it a second chance. Whenever I make it back to Madison I intend to check out Vintage again with a fresher palate.

Aroma / Appearance - Cloudy and semi-opaque only a trace amount of light was able to sneak through the listless body. Creamy sheets of lacing slid down the sides like oil slicks in the Gulf. Thick and heavy like caramelized cheesecake the nose was very rich. Pecan pie, honey, almonds, mandarin oranges, pepper, and hints of chocolate created an impression that lingered in the nose. Dominating the beers around it I am glad I saved it for near the end.

Flavor / Palate - The chewy mouthfeel was a trace too syrupy for my personal liking. Spiciness overwhelmed the caramel, orange rinds, and lemon wedges. Chocolate sneaked in at the end but was masked by a warm alcoholic burn. Perhaps I was just not in the mood for a heavy beer but this was too much at the time. If I were only drinking a single pint this would be a good choice.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Skyview (5242) - Papoose Jct, Minnesota, USA - MAY 4, 2010
On draught at the Vintage Brewing Company during their Grand Opening on May 2, 2010 in Madison, Wisconsin. Pours a hazy caramel colored brew with a thin beige/off-white head that dissipates to a creamy film top and some excellent lacing. Aroma of strong Belgian yeast, candi sugar, multi-grain malt, some light caramel and a touch of white pepper. Taste is very smooth and full bodied, with flavors of candi sugar, a hint of wintergreen, some banana esters, multi-grain malt and a hint of honey. Finish is semi-sweet and a fruity and candi sugar aftertaste. Hardly no alcohol bite anywhere in this strong Belgian Ale. One of the smoothest American-made Quads I’ve encountered.