Kanazawa Hyakumangoku Pale Ale

Nomi-gun, Ishikawa Prefecture, Japan

RATINGS: 5   MEAN: 2.96/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.84   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
jinroh (366) - ESTONIA - APR 17, 2014
350 ml can from Natural Lawson. This convenience store seems to be stocking up with local beers recently, they had quite a good selection of canned versions of regular suspects. This on pours hazy copper with a rich foamy head that stays and leaves a nice lacing. Aroma is quite faint - but it does have some hops, and malt backbone. Kind of what I would expect from a biter actually. Taste is a bit fruity first going over to slight bitterness and… ending up in terrible soapiness, just as if I had taken a bite of a soap. Body is not bad and overall it could be even a nice session beer but this soapiness really ruins it for me. Too bad.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
KansaiBeerLvrs (2086) - Kyoto, JAPAN - MAR 5, 2014
Continuing my quest to try as many breweries as possibly tonight I am drinking a can of Kanazawa Hyakumangoku Pale Ale, 5%. This can is about 2-3 weeks old. It pours a clear deep yellow gold verging on copper. A decent head of fizzy foam morphs into a nice filmy head with solid light lacing. The aroma is quite malty with a soft spicy quality to it that evokes almost a flan or caramel pudding. A very soft nose, it is a subtle caramel spicy note but pleasing. Decent med-full body with a smooth palate the taste is that same soft caramel, kind of like those caramel squares I used to get for Halloween but much more subdued, some honey, which is followed by a sharp zesty carbonated finish with a mix of lightly hoppy & malty flavors. A tasty malt forward beer, I feel it is halfway between an English Pale Ale & an American: maltier but less hoppy than most APA’s I am used to. Good enough but as you drink it & it warms up the sweetness gets a little cloying. That caramel does a have but of a buttery quality to it so I can see what KyotoLefty was getting at, in my case I felt it detract from the beer so much. Most non-beer geeks wouldn’t notice it I think,

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
KyotoLefty (6498) - Kyoto, JAPAN - DEC 8, 2013
Can from Le Collier. Malty nose, slightly burnt, caramel, toffee. Medium amber color with a fine head. Sweet and biscuit, cloying, caramel, toffee, butter. More like a sweet brown ale. Not very enjoyable.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
shoulderbroken (2062) - Tokyo, JAPAN - MAY 15, 2013
Can from one of my students. Thanks Nanae! Golden coloured with off-white head that goes quite quickly. Aroma is lightly sweet caramel maltiness, bit herbal and a touch of citrus hops. Taste is more caramel and a bit of toffee too. Honey in the sweetness. Not much bitterness. Pretty drinkable though. Would be a good thirst quencher and if I was given this at a picnic rather than a super dry I would be pretty satisfied.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
MartinT (7860) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - APR 25, 2013
My Bottom Line:
Tea-like leafiness subtly finds its way into this generic brew’s crisp body, producing feeble flavor and bitterness.

Further Personal Perceptions:
-A creamy sheet of foam settles atop the misty golden.
-Light citrus is found upon closer inspection.
-Drinkability is sky high, but mostly because the beer lacks flavor.
-The fierce bubbling increases drinkability as well.
-Malts offer mild honey as well.
-This may not be much of Pale Ale, but you can’t fault it for being poorly executed.

Can.