Wanaka Beerworks Jay Cee

click to upload

Formerly brewed at Wanaka Beerworks
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Wanaka, New Zealand

RATINGS: 2   MEAN: 3.25/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.87   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 30   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Amber Triple.
A complex puzzle of hop flavours, different yeast and a touch of lavender, all combined in one beer. A brewers dream to please the seasoned beer lover.
Wort filtered to 15 plato, 30 IBU bitter hopping, bottled conditioned Best served at 6-8C

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Cantabrian (850) - Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND - MAY 7, 2013
I bought this bottle before deciding that I wasnít much into tripels. Funny that the czar/archmandrite figure on the label reminds me more of an imperial stout, but the beer looks like a doppel (bruin/brune), it smells like a doppel and it tastes like a doppel. And a good one! I loved the chocolate and yeast on the aroma and I am happy not to know what carob is, or else perhaps thereís a chance I could have been less than satisfied. Flavours cover a wide range of chocolates, spices, malts, red wine, sour fruits - that cellar basket of fruits and a rather elegant touch of hops. It is medum bodied, with a pleasant long-lasting finish that makes me look at the bottle again to see if thereís any more left (I only had a small glass here at the hotel). I love the final product, in spite of the confusing presentation. JC?!?

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
Jimthechap (1692) - Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND - APR 21, 2012
Funny, the label said tripel rather than dubbel, yet it is ruby-chocolate in colour with a slightly greenish head that sits in patches on the top of the beer. The smell I regret to say, is of carob. I hate carob. It reminds me of dirty hippies and being deceived by my Motherís dirty hippy frineds that it was a chocolate substitute that was just as good. Dirty lying hippy bastards. Anyway, a recerche du temps perdue... Thereían almost red wine aroma to this beer as well as other spiciness. The flavour, Iím pleased to say, shows no hint of carob, but of chocolate and sparkling shiraz. It has a silky mouthfeel and then a piquant sourness at the back of my mouth. The finish dwells on chlorophyll sourness and I have to say Iím not an enormous fan.