Wanaka Beerworks Lake Town Beer

Brewed by Wanaka Beerworks
Style: Wheat Ale
Wanaka, New Zealand
Serve in Shaker, Weizen

RATINGS: 1   MEAN: 3.3/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.83   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
To celebrate the release of ‘The Hobbit’, which holds several beautiful sceneries from TC and other areas around NZ, we have created a beer in spirit of it. We used the original herbs used in the hobbit beer, i.e. sage and nettles and twisted it in an exotic summery wheat beer.
Wort filtered to 15 plato, 21 IBU, bottle conditioned, best served at 4-6°C

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
Jimthechap (1549) - Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND - DEC 17, 2012
Hazy amber colour with a he-normous fluffy white head. As it subsides it became rocky and elegant. Unfortunately, this prevented me from dipping my nose into the glass and taking a snort without getting a sinus full of foam. When there was sufficient room the glass for me to dig my nose in the first and foremost aroma was pineapple. Not something I have experienced in my beer from memory, but it seems enticing enough. There is also a touch of herbal sage there too. When I tasted I soon learned about the nettles which came about in a green vegetal flavour with almost medicinal and astringent quality. A moment of savouring the flavour reveals orange pulp and orange skinned apples. It’s a bit of an enigma this beer because while the aroma promises something sweet and unctuous, the body and flavour is something else. This beer will polarise reviewers. I was in two minds myself.