Wanderlust 928 Local Farmhouse Ale
     click to upload

RATINGS: 10   MEAN: 3.56/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.39/5   IBU: 45   EST. CALORIES: 225   ABV: 7.5%
A truly local beer. Brewed in the spirit of the small farmhouse breweries that were so popular in Belgium and France in the not so-distant-past. We start with a distinctly Belgian recipe with a healthy base of pilsner malt and some biscuit malt to give it a little fullness. We than add some American and Czech hops to give it a bit of spiciness, and move into our fermenters. At that point, we add in our house strain of wild yeast which was cultured from some locally pressed cider. A little funky, and a little spicy, its the perfect blend of flavors for this ale. When fermentation is going full-tilt, we kick it up another notch with several pounds of honey from our local beekeeper here in Flag. This gives it a nice dryness for such a big beer and some amazingly tantalizing flowery aromas. Why go through all this effort? Its just the right thing to do. Local is where its at, and one sip of this delicious beer and youll have no choice but to agree.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
jkwood04 (4955) - Connecticut, USA - MAY 24, 2015
32oz growler in a tulip. Pours amber with an off-white head. Aroma of spicy yeast with strong cloves/banana notes, some pale and caramel malts, and some light hops. Flavor the same. Average texture. Not bad at all.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
3fourths (8789) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - JAN 8, 2015
Draft. Nutmeg spice aroma, yeasty and buggy, musty and tasting of milk. Medium body, lightly sweet with low bitterness and moderate acidity. Bland and boring front to back, and the nutmeg / pumpkin spice character seems out of place.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
lachrymalisis (440) - Washington, USA - DEC 27, 2014
I will admit that my personal preference for Farmhouse yeast strains plays into my rating of this. Overly estery in the bubblegum/banana vein of aromas, which turns me off. The taste had a very nice and characteristic cider-like quality to it. Much higher in alcohol content than I prefer in my farmhouse beers. Slightly phenolic spicy characteristics were exhausting to the palate, also. Medium-dry, and again, I really believe Saisons are better when much dryer than this one was. I give credit for finding an interesting blend of yeasts for this fermentation, but the sensory characteristics give off an overly-spicy Hefeweizen-mixed-with-brett yeast characteristic. Not bad, but not great.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
brokensail (14042) - San Leandro, California, USA - NOV 25, 2014
On tap @ Wanderlust. Orange pour with a white head. Lots of banana and coriander on the nose. Sweet caramel and bready malt, some orange, and yeast. A little lemon on the back end. The flavor is fairly sweet. A bunch of caramel, marmalade and bread. Orange and lemon zest. A touch tangy on the back end. Spicy coriander and white pepper in the background. Not bad.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
OffBeatBrew (12) - USA - NOV 23, 2014
On draft at Vino Loco, Flagstaff. A bit hazy, but a nice golden color. Head is bright white, but does not linger. Nose is pleasant but mild. Like a strong heffeweizen. For a stronger beer, very refreshing / drinkable on the palate. Great pair for wine and cheese, which is how I had it. Overall, a great tasty local option, which is a bit more refined than youd expect for a new, small brewery.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Ferris (8937) - Burnaby, British Columbia, CANADA - FEB 15, 2014
Draft - Orange, grass and a bit of spice. Cloudy orange with a thin head. Orange, wheat, creamy and a bit of yeast. Very subtle and nice.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Caytinator (1005) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - APR 21, 2013
Pint on tap. Bright, honey colored translucent beer, almost opaque. No lacing or head off the tap. Strong lemon aroma, citrus-y sweet (Im guessing thats the honey). The taste is definitely fruity and sweet as well; its bitter, too, so I guess that makes it a legit farmhouse, right? Not so fast, its lacking something, maybe some spiciness or complexity. Hard to pin down in saisons. I think its a noble effort for a new brewery but I cant rate it as well as true belgian saisons Ive had either.

JPDurden24 (1664) - Chandler, Arizona, USA - MAR 19, 2013
Hazy amber color, white head, some nice floral and funky flavors with some peppery bite. A really good farmhouse.

daknole (10350) - Scottsdale, Arizona, USA - FEB 24, 2013
Pours a cloudy copperish/yellow color. Lots of honey, light funky yeast, floral flavors, a bit of earthyness. Great effort from a great new AZ brewery!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
CaraCurtis (117) - Nevada, USA - DEC 2, 2012
lingers, a great farmhouse ale, not typically the style I select, I was happy to have had it, would definitely order another, had on draft