Brewed by Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan
Style: Dunkelweizen
Freising, Germany
Serve in Stein, Weizen

RATINGS: 1674   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.59/5   IBU: 14   EST. CALORIES: 159   ABV: 5.3%
Our dark wheat beer is impressive with its creamy white foam. A fruity-fresh sweetness and hints of mature bananas harmonise with delicious flavours of roasted malt, sparkling and full-bodied with a light caramel taste on the first sip. An excellent accompaniment from hearty meals and game to chocolate and nut desserts. Brewed according to our centuries-old brewing tradition on the Weihenstephan hill.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
cgarvieuk (21899) - Edinburgh, SCOTLAND - FEB 8, 2008
Bottle at home ... Thanks to me for buying this :-) ... Hazy Clowdy Yellow Brown ... Big foam Head ... Nice Bananananana wheat little clove nose ... wonderfull rounded sweet banana ... little yeast ... little sweet malts.A great beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Goodgrief (2000) - Middletown, Delaware, USA - FEB 3, 2008
Aug. 2006 - Not as dark a pour as other dunkels. Not as roasty as other dunkels. If I were blindfolded, I might have thought this was a plain old hefe...not that that is a bad thing. Bubblegum, strong banana, light cloves and a silky smooth mouthfeel characterize this one. Good beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Guinness4Duff (515) - Tallahassee (and Poconos, PA), Florida, USA - JAN 29, 2008
pours a cloudy light brown colorwith a healthy off white head. Has a sweet malty flavor with a citrus touch thats hinted at by the aroma. A high quality, refreshing beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
lucke13 (91) - Des Moines, Iowa, USA - JAN 22, 2008
This is one of my favorite beers, and the one that got me started in actually savoring beer. I remeber my first experience with this beer. I ordered a bottle of this at Old Chicago. It poured a hazy brown color with plenty of small bubbles. I raised the glass to my mouth and was hit with a sweet dough-like smell that I had never experienced before. I smelled it again and couldn’t believe how different this beer was from the big-name American beers I was used to drinking. Then I took a drink and immediatly craved more. I never thought a beer could taste this good! The beer seemed to hug my tounge as I drank it. I was sad when that beer was gone, but even more sad when I found out that our local Old Chicago was no longer going to be carrying it. Luckily I have since found a local specialty beer store that was willing to order some for me. I love this beer!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
jbean (110) - Illinois, USA - JAN 18, 2008
Bottle into weiss glass. Pours exactely how it should, hazy light brown with thick, frothy, long lasting off-white head. Flavor and aroma are very true to style -- bread, banana, clove, and yeast. Well balanced and very drinkable, nothing unpleasant here. A very good example of a style I really like.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Wulfstan (509) - California, USA - JAN 17, 2008
UPDATED: JAN 29, 2008 This is very nice, smooth and tasty, being a less crisp, somewhat caramelly version of their Hefeweissbier, although I prefer the latter. This is hazy, somewhat dark brown amber with a huge off-white head that lasts a long time but leaves almost no lacing. The aroma is like a hefeweizen but softer, with hints of toffee and more toasty grain or even a hint of nuts along with the wheat/banana/bubblegum elements, while the bubblegum in particular is more muted and barely noticeable (compared to their light hefeweissbier, where the bubblegum is quite strong). The taste is similar, being a softer, less crisp version of the lighter beer, with less bubblegum, less bitternes, and a definite light caramel taste and smoothness. It’s very nice, very easily drinkable, and flavourful, with some complexity, but not quite as satisfying as the lighter version.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
dyetube (1374) - Hurst, Texas, USA - JAN 17, 2008
This beer pours a dirty brown with a medium tan head. The aromas are slight bananas, roasted wheat and maybe some nuts? The flavors are a littel dry with some bananas and nuts. Not one of their better beers. But it is drinkable I suppose. Cheers!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Hank1980 (966) - Athens, Georgia, USA - JAN 16, 2008
Pours a cloudy brown with plenty of carbonation and a good sized creamy head. Aroma and taste are very similar with bread, spice, cloves and bananas. Taste also has a sweet malty finish with plenty of carbonation. One of the only dunkleweizens I’ve tasted, pretty nice.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Headbanger (3880) - Aurora, Illinois, USA - JAN 10, 2008
16.9 oz bottle-A cloudy brown body with a nice tight tan head which comes across with an aroma of Aroma of yeast, caramel, brown sugar, and sweetness. Taste of the same with some banana, clove, yeast, and malt all coming out in the taste. Great tasting Dunkel

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
RCL (2030) - Waltham, Massachusetts, USA - JAN 10, 2008
Great "Bananas Foster" aroma to this beer. Rich yeasty flavor. Hints of baking spices on the mid-palate and finish.