overall
Serve in Lager glass

RATINGS: 861   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.1   EST. CALORIES: 153   ABV: 5.1%
A good beer takes time. The long lager time makes our pale beer a matter of mild, flavourful beer enjoyment. Brewed in accordance with a centuries-old beer tradition on Weihenstephan Hill.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
rajendra82 (946) - Alpharetta, Georgia, USA - JUN 19, 2004
This is an accidental review, as I thought I was picking up the great Hefeweizen. After numerous attempts to stir in some yeast in my glass, I took a look at the label. Doh, this is not the Hefeweizen, this is the other beer with the identical blue label. Why they made them look so alike is beyond me, as the taste is quite a bit different. This one pours out of the 500 ml, traditional Weihenstephaner bottle with a golden, crystal clear body, and a smallish head that is fleeting. There is no lace to speak of, so I will not talk about any. The aroma is very strange. The closest thing I can think of is an old wooden log that has started to rot. As weird as that sounds, the aroma is not unpleasant, it is what I imagine fermented malt smells like, if not tempered by a lot of hops. In the taste department, the malt is once again Kaiser. This beer has a sweet-sour, grain laden, strongly bready taste, that is similar to a Rye beer. I guess, this is why they call beer liquid bread. This is a bit harsh on the palette, and lacks the smoothness that one comes to expect from a matured lager. This is what beer must have tasted like in the old days of black plague. I would take this over macro swill any day, but this is not sophisticated at all. I will make sure I am picking up the right beer next time,

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
ontario102 (794) - Boise, Idaho, USA - JUN 19, 2004
Pours with a small creamy head, decent lacing; Nice, mild, smooth and somewhat malty flavor, hints of cookie dough and citrus; slightly dry finish; thin body; highly drinkable and somewhat tasty, though not very exciting.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
DrGonzo (625) - Somerville, Massachusetts, USA - JUN 3, 2004
Pours a clear golden yellow, medium frothy white head. Aroma is skunky at first, but then I noticed more bread and malt. Thinnish to medium body, lively carbonation, flavor of mineral water and metals, rye bread, and at times is buttery smooth, with a tangy and sticky finish. Refreshing, nothing special, but it does go down smooth.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
Pailhead (4572) - Brownstown, Michigan, USA - MAY 30, 2004
Bottle: Has that salty smell again. Very similar to the Korbinian that I recently rated, but not as strong. Kind of a soup smell but I can’t put my finger on the type. Pours a transparent, slightlly pale yellow with a white head that never really gets going. Rather lacking in flavor with slightly cirtrus/sour finish. Somewhat of a buttery taste too. Very smooth mouthfeel. Really lacking in flavor. I’ve enjoyed most of the beers that I’ve samppled from them, but this doesn’t seem up to par with the rest of their beers. It's one of those beers that's not bad, not good, it just exists.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
TChrome (1409) - Bedford, Texas, USA - MAY 28, 2004
Medium golden in color with a significant whipped egg white head that is nicely retained. Aroma is very nice exhibiting qualities not often found in a lager. The aroma is grainy, but it is obvious that this has spent time in the tank "lagering" which is something many in this style are mising. Flavor is clean and subtle with light notes of grain and light bitterness. Very enjoyable to drink and nicely refreshing.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
shadey (1879) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - MAY 23, 2004
Golden colored pour with a thick white head. Smelled skunky with a little bit of hops. Falvor wasn’t as bad as the smell. It was crips, without a whole lots of strong flavors.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
realmazz (5) - Riverview, Michigan, USA - MAY 21, 2004 does not count
Maybe I bought a bad bottle. Skunky, I could smell it as soon as I opened it. Tasted better than it smelled.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
heemer77 (5096) - Urbandale, Iowa, USA - MAY 17, 2004
Bottle. Has a small white head and is a deep gold with a lot of sediment. Light aroma of grass and lemons. The taste is almost sickly sweet at first, like pineapple. Also, there are some malty notes rpesent. A bite later on with the carbonation. This is drinkable, but not great.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
willblake (2645) - Bel Air, Maryland, USA - MAY 14, 2004
500mL Bottle, 05.14.04 Pours quite pale, slightly clouded golden. Small head quickly fades. Aromas are nice, though light hints of pale malts and honey. Not much body, nor complexity. This is, however, a nice alternative to bigger beers. Yep, mostly malts and honey are what I’m tasting. Finishes somewhat sour...huh.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
DerBiermeister (586) - Birmingham, Alabama, USA - MAY 7, 2004
The aroma here is so mild as to elude immediate noticeability. The appearance is an orangish blonde (more blonde). The flavour is light and somewhat shy, malty and somewhat bready. This tastes like a German light beer. And I didn’t know the Germans *did* light beers - somewhat disappointing.