overall
Style: English Strong Ale
Bedford, England

RATINGS: 1274   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.98   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Bottled, Pasteurised.
This dark golden coloured ale hugs the palate with great intensity. Its malty aroma is complemented by the gentle nose of Banana. Its flavour unfolds with a sensual sparkle and a smart crispness, which balances its aroma perfectly. Tropically fruity; its ripe banana flavour, emphasised by a hint of bitterness, comes from the addition of real fair trade bananas and finishes with an emphatic, steely dryness.
2005 Recipe changed from 5.5% to 5.2%

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
bridge (659) - Sydney, AUSTRALIA - DEC 28, 2006
Looks, well, as predicted coming from a clear bottle. Clear copper brown with a minimal head that disappeared pretty soon after pouring. Aroma of banana Paddle Pops with a little touch of toffee. Restrained sweetness on tasting, with, as per the description, a hint of bitterness. Fairly thin and missing some body, which really seems to be a result of the pasteurisation - the cask version sounds much more appealing. Thumbs up for the fair trade bananas, but get rid of the clear bottle, the pasteurisation and the filtration and we might have a beer with some guts to back up the aroma!!

1.4
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 6/20
HarryFlashman (469) - Chatham, Kent, ENGLAND - DEC 27, 2006
I, myself, have an enormous banana, but I don’t actually like the taste of bananas. Therefore, this ale is not for me. I suppose it is quite well done, but if you don’t like bananas, you aint gonna like this! If you want something more fruity, I would go for one of the Badger’s numbers, such as Golden Glory/Champion; this beer is more for cock suckers!.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
damiano (20) - USA - DEC 18, 2006
Overall bananas!! Didn’t do it for me. I’d prefer a banana!! A bit false for me.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
KnutAlbert (6067) - Oslo, NORWAY - DEC 11, 2006
Nice banana smell, and a smooth and sweet banana flavour, too. There are some hops in there, but the banana overpowers them totally. Too much - this is a beer you have once, unless you’re looking for a beer to have with banana split or deep fried bananas!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
JPDIPSO (4956) - Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, USA - DEC 7, 2006
Light umber to copper color with an off-white head that fizzes away to a few small bubbles adrift at the edge of the glass and a small isle in the middle. Certainly a banana aroma. Over-ripe bananas with a just a hint of bread dough. While I’m not real big on the aroma, it is what it is, if it smelled like an IPA or an ESB I would be upset. Light malt quickly followed by, you guessed it, bananas. The finish returns back to a mild caramel flan and lightly toasted bread flavor. Seems a touch watery and thin at times, but there again perhaps I shouldn’t expect more from a banana brew. A touch more malt and I might embrace this one a bit more.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
berkshirejohn (4487) - Bracknell, Berkshire, ENGLAND - DEC 7, 2006
Pours a golden colour with no head and very little carbonation; the immeidate impact is the aroma, which reminds me of the banana flavour ice lollies that used to be available in my childhood - I don’t think they’d ever been within 100 miles of a real banana though, and apparently this beer has; the taste is far drier than I expected and very palatable, although there is much sweetness on the follow through. Certainly different.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Aarleks (409) - Sydney, AUSTRALIA - DEC 4, 2006
Bottle: What a bizarre beer! I thought this would be terrible, and while it’s not great it certainly isn’t bad.
Clear brown amber with a fast dissapearing yellowish head. In the nose... Wow!! Tonnes of fake banana in here and some gentle clove notes with a heady alcohol hit. Really, it smells like a bag of those lolly bananas in a little white paper bag that I used to buy as a child. Underneath this, and very difficult to pin down, were some woody malts and classic pasteurised death. In the mouth the bananas continue their triumphant reign. They somehow seem more real here, although there’s no getting away from the lolly aspect. There’s also some pleasant juicy malt notes, however, all is killed by pasteurisation. Interesting.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
invalid (302) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - NOV 30, 2006
Not as bad as I would have thought. Gentle brown color, smells like hurrrr bananas. I chugged this one quickly so I wouldn’t have to taste much lol.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
harrisoni (13619) - Ashford, Kent, ENGLAND - NOV 18, 2006
568ml bottle from Asda. Chestnut colour wth thin off white head. Banana and yeast aroma. Bit bubblegummy. This doesn’t really develop in the mouth. Too bananery and tastes of kids sweets. Some hop on end. Bit empty and boiled sweet in mouth. Not as good as cask and not something I would buy again.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
heemer77 (5100) - Urbandale, Iowa, USA - NOV 12, 2006
From a bottle. This was certainly interesting. The dark copper body was topped with a white colored head. The aroma was strong banana with some caramel. The banana smell continued through drinking the beer. The taste was banana peels with some iced tea. There was also a hint of cinnamon. The banana got more and more subtle as I drank it. This was not a pleasure.