overall
Style: English Strong Ale
Bedford, England

RATINGS: 1362   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.98   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Bottled, Pasteurised.
This dark golden coloured ale hugs the palate with great intensity. Its malty aroma is complemented by the gentle nose of Banana. Its flavour unfolds with a sensual sparkle and a smart crispness, which balances its aroma perfectly. Tropically fruity; its ripe banana flavour, emphasised by a hint of bitterness, comes from the addition of real fair trade bananas and finishes with an emphatic, steely dryness.
2005 Recipe changed from 5.5% to 5.2%

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
mmmbeer (1309) - Austin, Texas, USA - SEP 8, 2007
Was surprised that it really did smell like banana bread. Poured dark amber color, decent head. Aroma- beer/banana/fruity. Definate beer taste with a small banana finish. Not bad, not bad at all.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Lou18 (1353) - West Paterson, New Jersey, USA - SEP 8, 2007
Got this a while back, Matt from totowa Bev, Depot talked me into it. Damned if it does not smell like banana bread! Clear light tan body with small creamy head. taste is light, lots of banana once it hits the palate. No trace of alcohol anywhere. Now this would be aGREAT, refreshing brew for summer-lawn work. Not a bad beer at all, rating to style, not to preference, I am a stoutie.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Davetopay (53) - Leesburg, Virginia, USA - SEP 6, 2007
Being a man who doesn’t like bananas I was VERY surprised by this beer. I was expecting a candy-sweet-mushy in the mouth experiment gone wrong. I got excactly the opposite. The body was a full as it needed to be with bananas on the nose, but not so much on the palate. The Malt profile was big and toasty and nutty....like banana bread! The hops were there, but not overpowering or competing for space in the brew. The finish was crisp and left a pleasant dryness in the back of my mouth, begging me to go back for more. This could serve as an excellent breakfast beer for those willing to go down that road on occasion.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
GlenVargas (144) - Missouri, USA - SEP 6, 2007
Well, the Banana Bread beer (bottle) smells and tastes just like the label says it should, but I think you can enjoy this stuff even if you’re not a fan of banana bread. It’s a murky brown-orange with a little off-white head. I was also kind of drunk when I finally got around to this one, so I was totally enthralled by the aroma. I thought that maybe the taste was heavier on the bread (wheat, grain, whatever) than the banana, but that was okay. Banana Bread beer is really pretty fun, even if it’s only a novelty brew. And, even though it’s the morning after, I can still taste it (or at least I think I can).

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Prostman (1077) - Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 3, 2007
This was a more watery than I expected it to be...I don’t know if I could enjoy more than one of these.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
scrizzz (2223) - Bothell, Washington, USA - AUG 26, 2007
fresh ripe banana aroma. clear auburn and a weak head. too sweet and one sided. seems gimmicky

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
SudsMcDuff (6763) - .....Manchester United.........., Texas, USA - AUG 22, 2007
I wasn’t expecting to much from this but it surprised me. The flavours and smells were in line with banana bread, but not under or over done, that being said this is a once-in-a-while beer. The lacing and head are better than average and the overall flavour is fairly balanced. In the end, a good brew that is just above the novelty ring!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 6/20
ChrisThomson (522) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - AUG 20, 2007
Zurich, 07. This one really does smell and taste like banana bread! It pours a nice auburn colour, with light head. The smell has upfront banana and cloves, and the taste has much more banana and toffee. Thankfully not too sweet, but definitely not a beer to drink often.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Skinnyviking (7732) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - AUG 14, 2007
Bottle. High creamy white and long lasting head. Clear and beautiful cobber body. As indicated by the name of the beer the aroma is banana, sweet and good. Flavor is of course also banana with just a touch of bitterness in the finish. Low carbonation and long sweet aftertaste. Generally it is, however, a bit watery and feels somewhat artificial tasting.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
iowaherkeye (2698) - Ocean Beach, San Diego, California, USA - AUG 13, 2007
19.25oz bottle, dated 31/05/07, hopefully the born on date. Clear dirty orange with a one finger yellowish light beige head. Aroma has both ripe bananas and banana Runts candy, the Runts being dominant. There are also some toasty malts and a hint of white pepper. Flavor adds a bit of woody hops and more bitterness that I would’ve thought from the aroma. I just saw that this is a Strong Ale so I suppose that makes sense. The toasty malts and banana Runts are dominant in the flavor. There is also some light wet paper. Semi dry finish. Light carbonation with a medium body. Seeing the bottle I wanted to like this, but couldn’t get into it as much as some people have.