overall
Style: English Strong Ale
Bedford, England

RATINGS: 1286   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.98   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Bottled, Pasteurised.
This dark golden coloured ale hugs the palate with great intensity. Its malty aroma is complemented by the gentle nose of Banana. Its flavour unfolds with a sensual sparkle and a smart crispness, which balances its aroma perfectly. Tropically fruity; its ripe banana flavour, emphasised by a hint of bitterness, comes from the addition of real fair trade bananas and finishes with an emphatic, steely dryness.
2005 Recipe changed from 5.5% to 5.2%

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
fiulijn (14770) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - JAN 12, 2004
Amber color; persistent perlage. Obvious banana aroma, with vanilla, malt, flowers. Dry, a bit metallic, smooth in the beginning with a light maltiness, but harsh on the tongue at the end; maybe too bitter final. Original beer; thanks Jens (Ungstrup).

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 5/20
Spiesy (2338) - Sydney, Greater London, AUSTRALIA - DEC 22, 2003
Bottled. Well it certainly smells like bananas alright. Id have to go with chris_os thinking on this one, you either like it or you dont. This beer should be tried in isolation and if possible, with 4-5 friends to help you share the bottle. Sweet and syrupy, aldehydes are fly from the beer, giving it an artificial and chemical feel.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
chriso (7386) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - DEC 13, 2003
I suppose you either love this or hate it. I guess I just like my beer to taste of beer, not bananas. And it isn't just a hint of banana - it is very intrusive. And very sweet too. And finally, I don't really like bananas anyway. Extra mark to the brewer for bravado though. Bottled, August 2003

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
boto (1856) - Granby, Connecticut, USA - AUG 22, 2003
Bottle: Before you even get to what it looks like, you get a big whiff of bananas. It definitely makes you think twice if you really want to drink a banana beer or not. The beer pours a slightly light amber color, with a hint of orange. Big head that goes away quickly. No real lacing down the glass. Did I mention the aroma of bananas? It also smells a bit bready. The predominate taste is....BANANAS! Go figure. There is a bit of a crispness in the background, along with a light maltiness. Did I mention the banana taste? It isn't going away. It really isn't overpowering, but it is all that is really there, and they are just too much to take. I'm glad I tried it, but I don't think that I'll have another.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
Nuffield (3691) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - AUG 3, 2003
Kudos for the concept, as both banana and the yeastiness of bread are classic beer flavors. That's mostly where the praise ends--at the concept. The execution leaves much to be desired. The aroma is warmly caramel with obvious banana notes, but mostly in an artificial "banana candy" vein, unlike the sensitive banana essence of a hefe. The deep caramel-golden color suggests something of the maltiness, but in the flavor the distinctly artificial banana really won out. As it warmed I got a touch of metallic bitterness on the back palate, and the mouthfeel flattened from weak (initially) to rather poor--limp, very quickly flat, and dryly ambivalent. There is some curiosity here and some things to like--I shouldn't undersell its drinkability--but there isn't the complexity of banana bread (including the nuttiness I associate with a good banana bread that has chopped walnuts buried in the moist interior).

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 5/20
Sully (1377) - Potts Point, New South Wales, AUSTRALIA - JUL 5, 2003
I can't believe this beer. It smells and tastes of bananas!! I wish I had known that it was going to taste of bananas. The brewer has gone bananas I think. Nup.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Inveigler (371) - Ferndale, Michigan, USA - JUN 18, 2003
Beer + banana bread joined. I mean, really, how could you not like this idea? The aroma is wonderful, the brew is one of the best novelty ideas I have encountered. I could drink this at breakfast, after dinner, on a boat, in a moat, and I actually did all of those things in and around Oxford.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
austinpowers (2826) - New York, New York, USA - APR 16, 2003
Love the label. Smells strongly of banana "Now and Later" candy chews. Tastes more like fizzy, bland ale. Truly unremarable. Fake banana smell.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Betty (235) - Walgett, NSW, AUSTRALIA - APR 10, 2003
UPDATED: APR 12, 2003 Simon found me sleeping in the garden after a night on this one. Phew! Too many bananas (I never thought I'd say it!)

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
madsberg (10241) - Sborg, DENMARK - MAR 25, 2003
UPDATED: APR 13, 2003 Bottled: Very special beer. Pours a clear amber colour. Medium lasting head. From there on its all about banana. Aroma, flavour and palate is owerwhelmed with banana, which in the end actually becomes too much, because nothing else is really going on. But in small doses this is a quite funny and tasty beer.