overall
Style: English Strong Ale
Bedford, England

RATINGS: 1466   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.97/5   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Bottled, Pasteurised.
This dark golden coloured ale hugs the palate with great intensity. Its malty aroma is complemented by the gentle nose of Banana. Its flavour unfolds with a sensual sparkle and a smart crispness, which balances its aroma perfectly. Tropically fruity; its ripe banana flavour, emphasised by a hint of bitterness, comes from the addition of real fair trade bananas and finishes with an emphatic, steely dryness.
2005 Recipe changed from 5.5% to 5.2%

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
amishcaravan (247) - Winona, Minnesota, USA - APR 4, 2008
pours a transparent golden copper color with a quickly disappearing head. scent is of bananas and some hops. nice mouth feel. the banana flavor makes for an interesting sensation. a decent beer, but probably not one that i would purchase again.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
iamqueensblvd (247) - , Iowa, USA - MAR 11, 2009
Dark golden pour with a nice white head. Very subtle banana flavors come and go as you pour and smell the beer. The banana flavor is not too overpowering, but one can definitely taste it on the palate.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
Cbuk1013 (247) - Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA - JUN 2, 2013
Smells and tastes like banana...in a beer. Nothing special other than the fact that it was interesting to try.

1.1
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 4/20
PMgep (247) - Lund, SWEDEN - OCT 21, 2015
Old rating. I’m sorry but I can’t stand this. The banana just take over and it’s to much. Banana should be in hefeweizen, not in this.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Fredd_an (245) - Borlänge, SWEDEN - SEP 16, 2014
Rolig banan & bröd ale. Man känner banansmaken men får mest associationer till smakämnen av banan tex lite skumbanan. Även i doften. Relativt söt. Dock dålig kropp å ingen eftersmak. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
MustangMarkF (244) - Coventry, West Midlands, ENGLAND - JUL 10, 2012
500ml Bottle. The thing about this beer, before I start to review it properly, is that it does what it says on the label - it is banana bread (no not bananas but BANANA BREAD) in liquid and alcohollic form - it is bloody lovely!!! That said.... Aroma is banana, cloves, cinnemon, brown sugar, malt, and yeast. Appearance wise it looks like a standard brown ale and it pours fairly weakly. Dont let that put you off because the taste is wonderful and what this beer is all about - pure banana bread, not bananas, not bread but banana bread. Fantastic!!! You wouldnt want to have more than one or two of these as its so rich.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
theyshookhands (243) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - APR 15, 2011
Banana and malts in the aroma. Tastes like banana bread. I don’t know what else you’d expect.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
beervis (243) - Taylor’s Country, West Yorkshire, ENGLAND - AUG 27, 2008
Banana evident in flavour and aroma, in a more substantial way than in a hefe. Spicy hops and a malty base complement it nicely. Smooth palate, satisfying. Unusual but very drinkable - I’d passed it over previously and dismissed it as a gimmick but actually rather liked it.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
alvaro78 (243) - Sevilla, SPAIN - MAR 12, 2016
Aroma golosina de plátano Buen aspecto, cristalina y correcta de carbónatacion El sabor a vainilla y plátano lo ocupa todo Satura un poco ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

Bamaboy1975 (242) - Suffolk, Virginia, USA - MAR 11, 2013
Month of March head cold led to laying off tasting any beer until sense & smell returned. I had days to think about which beer I wanted to taste first, and the Charles Wells Banana Bread beer was calling my name. Ratings and reviews can have the ability of influencing a first impression: low ratings & poor reviews build low expectations, which is why this intruiging beer was somewhat of a pleasant surprize. Multiple reviewers have been likening the aroma to banana laffy taffy dropped into a beer, but that sells this product short I feel. I'd like to note that bananas have never been a fruit that I have enjoyed by itself, though I have always enjoyed banana flavored foods (pudding,bread, candy,sugary bubble gum from childhood days). The folks at Charles Wells claim to use "freetrade bananas" in their recipe, and fresh bananas are what I smell along with the typical malty attributes when taking in the aroma. I find the banana aroma is evenly balanced with the maltiness of this British import: those claiming the banana aroma/flavor is underdone would likely to be the first to complain if it were stepped up a notch. Looks like a garden variety British Ale, and it pours like a typical creamy British Ale as well. Carbonation seemed pretty slight to me, and it delivered a malty caramel banana flavor across my palate along with Bavarian soft pretzel dough and just a hint of alcohol detected. I was not blown away by the melding of flavors but it was not unpleasant either.At no point did it taste like an artifically sweetened banana flavor by my account, and I think they did a good job with that aspect of the brew. I can't imagine too many folks reaching for a second Banana Bread Beer after finishing the first one, but I would like to raise an interesting point at this stage in the review: one other reviewer made the observation that they enjoyed this beer as an in between when switching beer flavors from one to another. The concept is an interesting one because the finest multi course meals I have eaten in my life utilized sorbet to cleanse the palate between courses. I mention the sorbet/palate cleanser concept because I followed the Banana Bread Beer with a Ballast Point Sculpin IPA (my third bottle of the six pack), and found myself completely blown away with the flavor of the sculpin IPA, whereas the first two samples of that same six pack struck me as merely average. Could it be that the Banana Bread Beer sets the palate up for a new beer flavor? Based on my experience, I say it does.Worth a try just for the uniqueness alone. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone