overall
Style: English Strong Ale
Bedford, England

RATINGS: 1466   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.97/5   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Bottled, Pasteurised.
This dark golden coloured ale hugs the palate with great intensity. Its malty aroma is complemented by the gentle nose of Banana. Its flavour unfolds with a sensual sparkle and a smart crispness, which balances its aroma perfectly. Tropically fruity; its ripe banana flavour, emphasised by a hint of bitterness, comes from the addition of real fair trade bananas and finishes with an emphatic, steely dryness.
2005 Recipe changed from 5.5% to 5.2%

Bamaboy1975's rating

Bamaboy1975 (242) - Suffolk, Virginia, USA - MAR 11, 2013
Month of March head cold led to laying off tasting any beer until sense & smell returned. I had days to think about which beer I wanted to taste first, and the Charles Wells Banana Bread beer was calling my name. Ratings and reviews can have the ability of influencing a first impression: low ratings & poor reviews build low expectations, which is why this intruiging beer was somewhat of a pleasant surprize. Multiple reviewers have been likening the aroma to banana laffy taffy dropped into a beer, but that sells this product short I feel. I'd like to note that bananas have never been a fruit that I have enjoyed by itself, though I have always enjoyed banana flavored foods (pudding,bread, candy,sugary bubble gum from childhood days). The folks at Charles Wells claim to use "freetrade bananas" in their recipe, and fresh bananas are what I smell along with the typical malty attributes when taking in the aroma. I find the banana aroma is evenly balanced with the maltiness of this British import: those claiming the banana aroma/flavor is underdone would likely to be the first to complain if it were stepped up a notch. Looks like a garden variety British Ale, and it pours like a typical creamy British Ale as well. Carbonation seemed pretty slight to me, and it delivered a malty caramel banana flavor across my palate along with Bavarian soft pretzel dough and just a hint of alcohol detected. I was not blown away by the melding of flavors but it was not unpleasant either.At no point did it taste like an artifically sweetened banana flavor by my account, and I think they did a good job with that aspect of the brew. I can't imagine too many folks reaching for a second Banana Bread Beer after finishing the first one, but I would like to raise an interesting point at this stage in the review: one other reviewer made the observation that they enjoyed this beer as an in between when switching beer flavors from one to another. The concept is an interesting one because the finest multi course meals I have eaten in my life utilized sorbet to cleanse the palate between courses. I mention the sorbet/palate cleanser concept because I followed the Banana Bread Beer with a Ballast Point Sculpin IPA (my third bottle of the six pack), and found myself completely blown away with the flavor of the sculpin IPA, whereas the first two samples of that same six pack struck me as merely average. Could it be that the Banana Bread Beer sets the palate up for a new beer flavor? Based on my experience, I say it does.Worth a try just for the uniqueness alone. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
bp (887) - New York, New York, USA - AUG 26, 2016
Bottle: pours dark brown with a tan foamy head, aroma of banana, taste is sweet, malty, light bodied

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
midovark (516) - Balassagyarmat, HUNGARY - AUG 21, 2016
0.5 l bottle. Had this one before joining RateBeer, therefore this entry is only based on numerical notes.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
martjoobolut (2921) - Tallinn, ESTONIA - AUG 16, 2016
Bottle (from tallinna kaubamaja). Pours amber. Aroma is banana, sweet. Flavor is sweet, bitter, banana. Finish has some bitterness. Overall: drinkable.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 8/20
TheBeerUnited (44) - - AUG 4, 2016
Not much head, some lacing. Nice colour, very clear, lots of CO2 bubbles streaming through. Aroma of banana, but also generic piss lager, banana esters and some hops but these two scents donít go well together, fights with each other too much. Taste however wasnít as bad in this aspect though. Mellow banana flavour. Watery body. 5.2 abv but tastes really light, watery, dry. Body is too thin, but then itís also fizzy. Spicy sweet, a little bitter at the end. Leaves mouth feeling slimey and a bit metallic. Not great, probably wouldnt get this again but it was alright/interesting to try as an offbeat beer. Too thin and one-dimensional, needs to be balance by other flavours to give it complexity, maybe some nuttiness or spice to pair it with would help.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 9/20
BeerNinjaUK (239) - Wiltshire, ENGLAND - JUL 30, 2016
Legacy rating - bottle received for birthday early 2016. Iím not a fan of sweet beers generally and this is crazy sweet with no real flavour except for the overpowering banana. Iím sure this would appeal to some, but I prefer my beers rather more bitter and hoppy.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Beerboss1 (1) - - JUL 23, 2016 does not count
Flavorful, refreshing, and fruity. Amber color with mild aroma and smooth taste. Can taste malty blend with banana undertones. I will like to serve this at my pub.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
MetalMurphy (422) - Budapest, HUNGARY - JUL 23, 2016
bottle @ supermarket (budapest) amber colour, medium body, normal carbonated, semi foam, nice banana aroma, caramell, bread and biscuit taste in the background, very good one!!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
Beachmaster (447) - Oklahoma, USA - JUL 18, 2016
Bottle into a pint glass. Pours amber, with a medium white head. Nose is banana syrup. Taste is malt and banana. A little sweet, but not awful. Interesting novelty beer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
pityu (622) - Budapest, HUNGARY - JUL 16, 2016
Bottle - Clear amber colour, medium diminishing off-white head. Banana aroma with some caramel and biscuit. Taste is a bit artificial banana with some toffee and nuts, some sugar and honey. Medium body, smooth carbonation, sweet finish. Not good, but drinkable.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
PedroOliveira (33) - - JUL 14, 2016
Cerveja clara, de coloraÁ„o dourada, ‚mbar. Aroma de malte e banana. Sabor adocicado.