overall
Style: English Strong Ale
Bedford, England

RATINGS: 1254   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.98   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Bottled, Pasteurised.
This dark golden coloured ale hugs the palate with great intensity. Its malty aroma is complemented by the gentle nose of Banana. Its flavour unfolds with a sensual sparkle and a smart crispness, which balances its aroma perfectly. Tropically fruity; its ripe banana flavour, emphasised by a hint of bitterness, comes from the addition of real fair trade bananas and finishes with an emphatic, steely dryness.
2005 Recipe changed from 5.5% to 5.2%

Bamaboy1975's rating

Bamaboy1975 (242) - Suffolk, Virginia, USA - MAR 11, 2013
Month of March head cold led to laying off tasting any beer until sense & smell returned. I had days to think about which beer I wanted to taste first, and the Charles Wells Banana Bread beer was calling my name. Ratings and reviews can have the ability of influencing a first impression: low ratings & poor reviews build low expectations, which is why this intruiging beer was somewhat of a pleasant surprize. Multiple reviewers have been likening the aroma to banana laffy taffy dropped into a beer, but that sells this product short I feel. I'd like to note that bananas have never been a fruit that I have enjoyed by itself, though I have always enjoyed banana flavored foods (pudding,bread, candy,sugary bubble gum from childhood days). The folks at Charles Wells claim to use "freetrade bananas" in their recipe, and fresh bananas are what I smell along with the typical malty attributes when taking in the aroma. I find the banana aroma is evenly balanced with the maltiness of this British import: those claiming the banana aroma/flavor is underdone would likely to be the first to complain if it were stepped up a notch. Looks like a garden variety British Ale, and it pours like a typical creamy British Ale as well. Carbonation seemed pretty slight to me, and it delivered a malty caramel banana flavor across my palate along with Bavarian soft pretzel dough and just a hint of alcohol detected. I was not blown away by the melding of flavors but it was not unpleasant either.At no point did it taste like an artifically sweetened banana flavor by my account, and I think they did a good job with that aspect of the brew. I can't imagine too many folks reaching for a second Banana Bread Beer after finishing the first one, but I would like to raise an interesting point at this stage in the review: one other reviewer made the observation that they enjoyed this beer as an in between when switching beer flavors from one to another. The concept is an interesting one because the finest multi course meals I have eaten in my life utilized sorbet to cleanse the palate between courses. I mention the sorbet/palate cleanser concept because I followed the Banana Bread Beer with a Ballast Point Sculpin IPA (my third bottle of the six pack), and found myself completely blown away with the flavor of the sculpin IPA, whereas the first two samples of that same six pack struck me as merely average. Could it be that the Banana Bread Beer sets the palate up for a new beer flavor? Based on my experience, I say it does.Worth a try just for the uniqueness alone. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
doykodymr8 (8) - - JUL 11, 2014 does not count
Surprisingly good! Tastes like banana bread and both me and my girlfriend enjoy it (didn’t think I would)!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
Howlader (638) - - JUL 11, 2014
500ml bottle served in a pint glass at Bier Baron in Washington DC. Not that banana flavoured.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
MadIndian (2342) - Levittown, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 1, 2014
Bottle from Philly Steak. Nice notes of banana and bread. No synthetic fruit taste, body was a little thin, but the flavor was refreshing.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
TXBadger (1219) - Dallas, Texas, USA - JUN 26, 2014
Pours a dark golden color with white head. Bananas are all over the nose, some cloves and bread too; follows onto the palate. Finishes with sweetness.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
roxtersoxter (259) - McKinney, Texas, USA - JUN 22, 2014
Pours clear amber with small tan head out of bottle. Aroma of bread, wheat, and slight hint of banana. Flavor identical to banana bread with a finish of beer. Not a bad beer but I usually don't like to drink my banana bread. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
JHeath99 (786) - - JUN 20, 2014
Tap at Lazy Dog. Pours amber with a bit of off white head. Aroma of yeast, bread malts, and bananas. Taste is like a watered down version of the aroma.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
cschwall (3) - - JUN 11, 2014 does not count

0.7
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
mpersinger (347) - , California, USA - JUN 7, 2014
Draft sampler pour at Face to Face Beerfest ( f2f.org ): gigantic dicetyl and vanilla room deodizer aroma that follows in flavor; leanest body. Worse than artificial flavor in double-cream soda (if there is such a thing).

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Atheist_Peace (927) - Halifax, Nova Scotia, CANADA - JUN 6, 2014
Clear brown/amber pour with very minimal head that leaves almost no lace. Nose is a mix of sour grainy notes and banana bread with a lot of cola type notes. The banana bread comes through a lot better on the palate but there’s still a lot of underlying cheap grain notes. I wouldn’t pay for this again.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
COMRADEJOSH (287) - Ft Hood, Texas, USA - JUN 5, 2014
Smells of wheat and banana but slightly artificial like the difference between fresh bananas and banana oil. Color is orange/amber with a strong taste of banana pudding to my palate. Not overly sweet like I thought it was going to be a good desert beer but not something you would want all the time.