Western Reserve Lake Effect Winter Ale

(RETIRED)

RATINGS: 2   MEAN: 3.85/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.35   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 171   ABV: 5.7%
Lake Effect is a Scotch Ale, big and malty with a touch of molasses and spice. Perfect for cold Cleveland winters. Our first seasonal, Lake Effect is only available from November

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Bierpapst (22) - Vienna, AUSTRIA - JAN 4, 2009
I have kept a bottle of this beer from the 1997 vintage in my cellar and oped it tonight. It poured a beautiful chestnut-reddish-brown coulour (at least when carefully decanted), had almost no head, and very little carbonation. The nose reminded of spices and rhum. Sweetish with some bitterness on the palate, somewhat wine-like. The bitterness lingers on, the spicyness does as well, both in a pleasant way.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
scooterling (26) - S. San Francisco, California, USA - NOV 23, 2007
These guys had stiff competition with GLBC here, but... I typed this in on a lark. This was my favorite brewery in Cleveland. Lived in Cleveland all my life until I moved to Tucson in 2003 and then to San Francisco in 2006. Still my favorite. These were some true beer brothers brewing with a passion. My rating is objective. Not subjective. Go back to brewing!