Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3467   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.44/5   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Ippopodio (51) - ITALY - NOV 14, 2015
And the winner is.... Più che la birra potè la leggenda. Sicuramente questo vale per i prezzi antieconomici con cui questa birra viene venduta nel mondo: i monaci la danno via a meno di 2 €. Parliamo comunque di una birra di altissima qualità, con un naso complesso come le ammiraglie delle altre trappiste. Vestita da monaco con schiuma cappuccino al naso offre prugna sciroppata e caramello. In bocca da il meglio di sè: un corpo robusto regala un dolce capace di nascondere il potente alcol e nel finale erbe officinali puliscono il palato. Birra eccezionale, qui si beve anche l'emozione.

dpeinador (7) - SPAIN - NOV 12, 2015 does not count
UPDATED: NOV 13, 2015 Almost perfect. The best abbey beer. I had the chance to taste some weeks ago. Waiting the next chance

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
AlfredoGarcia (184) - Santiago, CHILE - NOV 11, 2015
After years on dreaming to taste this, finally in a visit to Brussels I got myself a bottle. For my surprise in beer shops is higly avaliable at expensive prices (this one costed 12 euros for me). 330 ml bottle. Brune color with white creamy head. Chocolate, dark fruits smell. Super creamy taste and texture. I wonít say much, just gonna leave it to the experts, but guys, itís has good or better than expected.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Savagesteeler (96) - Warszaw, POLAND - NOV 11, 2015
W aromacie cudowne szuszonwe owoce, morele, figi, rodzynki. Do tego dochodzi aromat świezego ciasta drożdzowego, chlebowosc. Wyglad to chyba najwiekszy minus. Dosyc opalizujace sie, o barwie mulastej, ciemnej, koronka piany zostaje do końca, jednak ta własciwa szybko opada. W smaku dosyc wytrawnie, szlachetny alkohol, do tego naprawde dobrze zbalansowana drożdzowosc (suszone owoce) i chlebowosc. Zdecydowanie godne polecenia i wyśmienicie degustacyjne piwo!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
rami_pl (801) - Warszawa, POLAND - NOV 8, 2015
Butelka, warka do 19-08-16, pite przy okazji slepego testu: http://tiny.pl/ggmvg . Taka sobie piana, troche sporo drozdzy na dnie. Bardzo ladnie wywazone nuty owocowe (rodzynki, sliwki, jezyny), przyprawowe (glownie wanilia), karmel, alkohol... wszystko to bardzo ladnie wspolgra. calosc slodka. Goryczka jak na styl wcale nie mala. Bardzo gladkie w ustach. Nie ma rozczarowania i bardziej mi pasuje niz "klasyczni" konkurenci (Abt12 i Rochefort 10), choc naj na swiecie to nie jest :) ale w czolowce :)

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
rgf001 (266) - MŁnchen, GERMANY - NOV 3, 2015
Caramelly plum and date aroma with Christmas spice. Complex flavor of dried fruits mostly plum and spice with firm bitterness in the end. Dry finish. Extraordinary.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
kingaugusta (49) - Georgia, USA - NOV 2, 2015
Supposedly the best beer in the world...and I managed to get my hands on a bottle. Donít ask how. Pours brown with a decent light brown head. Nose is the expected fruits and caramel notes of a well-made quad and is absolutely delicious. Flavor is rich and probably the smoothest of any belgian Iíve ever had...thereís nothing surprising here, just an incredibly high quality quad. Finish is a little sticky and long. Damn good stuff indeed.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Graham77 (319) - Cumbria, ENGLAND - OCT 30, 2015
Bottle best before 16 September 2018. Pours a dark brown colour with a reddish hue and with a foamy head which laces well. The aroma is quite strong with sweet malt, sugar and fruit. The taste is medium sweet and lightly bitter with a slight sourness and a lasting dry finish. The beer is viscous with a smooth mouthfeel. I really enjoyed this beer but felt it was not as complex a flavour as I was expecting, it did not disappoint though, excellent beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
tcon25 (336) - Duvall, Washington, USA - OCT 28, 2015
Bottle pour, split with Andrewje41, thanks for finding this one and splitting it with me, amazing beer to try, and one we have wanted to for a long time. Bottled on September 30th, rich amber pour with a thin soft white head, lot of carb, more then I expected, little sweet, raisin, almost a oak bourbon flavor, hides the ABV very well. This beer is very easy to sip and grows on me more and more, really like this beer, more than I expected.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
andrewje41 (1764) - Kenmore, Washington, USA - OCT 28, 2015
Yet another classic milestone type beer on a not so milestone event. Iím very okay with this type of living. Iím not sure what was more difficult. Obtaining a bottle of this, or mastering the pronunciation of the brewery. I really wanted to save this for my 1838th rating (matching the year the historic brewery first opened), but thatís a tough waiting game to play, and I canít hold a backlog for more than a few days. I wish I could have tried this in a blind situation, to know for sure if this is as incredible as it seems. One thing that is for certain, upon pouring this, my first thought was "this is a beautiful beer." Best by 9/30/2018, so according to my researched math, this is pretty damn fresh. Shipped to me with prompt and precision by Beer of Belgium. Thanks guys! Iíll contact you guys again for sure. Pours a dark, ruby, dusty brown color with a swirl of tan active fizz head. Itís hard to put a hyped beer like this into words, when Iíve been dying with curiosity on the subject for as long as Iíve enjoyed beer. Tried my best to pour this at the proper cellar temp. I feel like I got it as close as its gonna get. Sweet plum like aroma. Flavor is very complex with raisin, smooth semi sweet. Rum like hints throughout. Oakey. Has a very nice warming palate that gets better and better. By far the smoothest, finest drinking quad Iíve ever had. In a style that is always a rough go for me, this is a masterpiece for sure. I would very much enjoy an opportunity to open one of these on random special occasions. This beer is not perfect to me, but damn is it good. I wonder whatís next.