overall
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3173   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.44   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
cphbeerking (154) - KÝbenhavn K, DENMARK - AUG 7, 2006
RIcher, sweeter, more fulfilling than 8, I find it hard to dream up faults with this impeccable brew. Dominated by a most satisfying blend of dark dried fruits and capped with a divine yeasty character, this is of the true world classics in beer. Hard to get, yet amazingly cheap considering that this is one of the bottles to stand at the pinnacle of the art that is beer. If similar words were spoken of a bottle of wine, you could expect to be forking out thousands of dollars. Praise the lord for the relative non-snootiness of the beer world!

frankR (145) - Davis, California, USA - AUG 4, 2006
Mental tasting notes from 1 year ago. This is majestic! Complexity define. A plethora of flavors. Black licorice, rye bread, dried fruit, cloves. The names of foods used in the adjective context can go on ad infinitum! Certainly has the scope to live up to the fame as “The best beer in the world”. But at $15/btl and the long drive required to procure this, it might be quite awhile before this beer and I come across each other again.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
snowden719 (130) - USA - AUG 4, 2006
UPDATED: APR 20, 2007 Pours dark brown, almost black with a medium tan head that dissapated a bit quickly, but left a nice small head throughout the glass. Aroma is dark fruits, yeast, honey,raisins bit of floral notes. Flavor is strongly dark fruit, bit of coffee, raisins and honey, with some alcohol notes and and yeast and citrus in the finish. FInish is nice and long, mouthfeel is thick and very nice, almost velvety. Alcohol adds a nice warmth to the beer

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
holdenn (2080) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - AUG 2, 2006
UPDATED: JAN 22, 2007 Blind Quad 07 tasting 330 ml bottle from xnoxhatex. Very malty aroma, its light especially when held next to Rochefort 10. Grain, toasted chocolate toffee, vanilla, prunes, rasins, its definitely complex but I have to stick my nose in their a little to really get it. Murky rasin brown in color, average off white head with lasting lacing. Lightly sweet in flavor and finish, candi sugar, rasins, plums, cherries, oak, and the warmth of alcohol. Medium bodied, creamy and fizzy with some nice undertones in the flavor. This unanimously took second place in the the tastings, beat out by Rochefort 10. -------- Thanks to xnohatex for the sample straight from belgium bottled only about a month ago. Pours dark with a small off white head. The aromas are very nicely balanced like everything else in this beer: plums, currants, raisins, brown sugar and dough. At the first sip iím struck: suprisingly medium to light body but a crazy amount of fizziness over the whole tongue. The longer I hold it in my mouth, it almost becomes numb with the carbonation. Drewbeerme described it as probably what it would be like to taste a little finger-lick of cocaine, i agreed. Flavors followed with successive sips: raisins, toffee, carmel, cinamon, oak, vanilla, clove, and alcohol all balanced so well (maybe even too balanced). as the beer warmed it seemed to turn sweeter and the aromas and flavors turned more to chocolate and almond. After a few sips of this i was suprised to feel heady very quickly. This isnít a crazy or intense beer, dont expect that, but it is (possibly) the most balanced beer in the world. 4.7

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
WeeHeavySD (3360) - San Diego (Hillcrest), Oregon, USA - JUL 31, 2006
UPDATED: FEB 4, 2007 Re-rate. Beer 9 of Oíbrienís Trappist Tasting 2/3/07. 03 bottle, consumed relatively sober, in comparison to the first time I had this brew. Pours light brown with a thin nothing head. The aroma was sweet full bodied, very very fragrant. The taste was ful bodied with a sweet punch, and very nice feeling on the palate, a real joy to drink. Now I rated this a 5 before, but I really donít think it deserves it, this is a great beer, even better when it warms up, but is it worth the golden 5? I donít think so. After searching Belgium long and hard I finally had this beer in Copenhagen Denmark, at Olbaren, and I was extremely thankful for being able to drink this wonderful brew, I canít say enough about it, I only wish I was able to drink it when I was less drunk, and it might have been better if I hadnít had an oak aged yeti before hand, but this beer is a must try for anyone who considers themselves a beer geek.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
alafito (334) - tijuana, MEXICO - JUL 30, 2006
Thanks to Drewbeerme for this almost perfect beer! Wow, my hats off to this wonderfull creation. I thought it was going to be overated, but this ones definatly deserves first place. The aroma was nice but it was a little hard to notice it thats the only point i deducted. Every thing else is pure bliss, the perfect amount of sweetness, honey, strawberies, a hint of orange lots of oak in the background, cloves, pepper, sweet malts, cinamon, raspberries and some yeast tones, the palate is so smooth and velvety, you hardly notice the alcohol until you finish it, and then your too happy to care... I meen this brew deserves its own book to describe it. And i swear to you im not being mislead by its hype! The Rochefort 10 should be far behinde because it is much lighter in flavor and it has a slightly vegetable finish to it. This has absoluty no bad flavor or finish and its full flavored and full bodied mahogany liquid heaven!

lgklotet (432) - Stockholm, SWEDEN - JUL 30, 2006
Sampled at In de Vrede. 100th rating. Before actually trying this beer I read a lot of ratings. Some people believe it to be overrated and I was more than a little worried Iíd be disappointed. True enough, had I rated this blindly I couldnít say whether Iíd still given it a perfect score. Be that as it may, this is perfection in a glass. Every sip brings out new flavours and I worry about not fully appreciating this beer before my glass is empty. Happily, thereís now ten of these guys biding their time in my cellar.

Theaxe (3) - Zemst, BELGIUM - JUL 30, 2006 does not count
What else can I say about this beer that hasnt been said already? I have had the pleasure of trying this beer on two different occasions and it was excellent. The aroma is yeasty, doughy, a little eartiness to it. The flavors are dark fruits, sugars, and just the smallest bit of alcohol. I could hardly even taste the alcohol in it (ecspecially at 10%). My only downfall with this beer, while I dont even think it is a downfall...is that it is almost too balanced (if there is such a thing). I like a little more aggressive taste to my beers. Its almost hard to pick out the different levelsd of this beer because it is so complex and wonderfully balanced in every aspect.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Quixote18 (236) - Johnson City, Tennessee, USA - JUL 29, 2006
Tasted to celebrate my birthday and the birth of my daughter...all within the span of two weeks. What a beautiful beer! Deep, caramel brown body with a long-lasting, creamy head. The mellow malts and raisins slowly gave way to yeasty sweetness in the aroma. I found this to be bright and lively on the tongue and warming in the throat. The flavor was subtle and slightly tangy, with a tiny bit of barnyard in the finish?? All these elements combine to form a beer that is better than the sum of itís (already good) parts. A masterpiece of subtlety. Thank you Santa!!!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Magjayran (1379) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - JUL 27, 2006
Pours a gorgeous dark reddish brown color with a perfectly formed tan head that stays intact throughout the drinking experience. Aroma is full of dark fruit like plum along with a hint of citrus. Thereís quite a lot going on with the flavor in this one. Big fruity flavors mix with hints of almond and caramel. Tangy finish and warming alcohol. It may not be the best beer in the world but itís damn close. If only this bottle was a 750mL. I usually take some time drinking beers as big as this one but Iíve noticed that I went through the first half of this one very quickly before forcing myself to savor the rest.