overall
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3639   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.43/5   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

SDBengalFan (2) - USA - MAY 22, 2008 does not count
Greatest beer ever..worth the crazy price. This is the best beer in the world. I would drink this exclusively if not for the price.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
heavy (2750) - Split, CROATIA - MAY 22, 2008
UPDATED: MAY 26, 2008 So I have nominally the best beer in the world in front of me. Always though I would be then nervous or fascinated, but at the moment I took it as a normal beer, like every other, sincerely, without any biases. Even didnít expect too much from it, maybe of bad biometeorological situation :) Allright, letís head to the beer!
I got a 0.33 l bottle from belgianshop.com. It Poured just a bit hazy dark brown body with medium bigger brownish head. Strong, impressive aroma, yeasty with dark fruits (berries, plums, ) caramel. Some orange peel as well, with caramel and chocolate. Wow, canít stand to try it now! At the first sip it seemed a bit light, bittersour caramel and some alcohol, but nice. After two or three its complexity started to show up, probably as the palate gets used to. Yeasty fruits with malty caramel produce some nice flavors, ranged from chocolate filled with blueberries to irish coffee, as alcohol is also felt a bit. Very nice, but not near perfect, somehow leaves a feeling alcohol is hidden in a bit wrong, unbalanced and I would deer to say cheapish way. Finish is very pleasant, very sweet, caramel and plum dominated. I am constantly bothered by that strange bitterness from the flavor, but otherwise would be perfect beer. Although surely one of the best beers Iíve ever had in my life, itís not the best and I can say Iíve actually expected more.

ErikDM (2) - USA - MAY 20, 2008 does not count
Tasted this beer first hand at íDe Vredeí right next to the abbey. Canít get any better! Rich flavor, aroma, color all that you need in a beer. I do feel a sad that it needed to take the commercialism of the western world to get to know this beer. I would suggest to every beer ísnobí to save your money for a plane ticket rather than spending it on postage!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
mcferc4 (59) - New Jersey, USA - MAY 19, 2008
Bottle, HUGE thanks to Dough77 for sending this guy my way. Iíve been saving this for my college graduation, and Iím glad I let it sit for a few months before cracking it. The aroma is so interesting - doughy, yeasty, picking up some raisin notes too. To be honest, it smelled like bread, or pizza dough (in a good way). Absolutely delicious flavor. Lots of fruit: raisin, lightly roasted coffee, some caramel, honey, and vinuous notes too. Beautiful lingering malty finish, perfect body. The alcohol is there, but just serves to warm the throat on the way down. I was a little nervous before opening this one because I was afraid that it wouldnít live up to the hype. Fortunately, it definitely did. Itís a unique and incredibly complex beer -- Iím glad to have finally tried it.

dyetube (1374) - Hurst, Texas, USA - MAY 18, 2008
Wow... Some people think there really is no such thing as the "perfect beer". I disagree. While it is basically non-existent, this beer does achieve that status. The holy grail of beers! Thanks to my good friend for getting me a couple of these on his trip to Belgium! Pours a cloudy dark amber/brown with a medium tan head that dissipates very quickly. This thing is like drinking pure nectar! Figs, licorice, chocolate, raisins, and maybe a slight bit of coffee and thatís just the beginning. There are so much more complex flavors to this thing! It is ever so slightly sweet and it lingers forever... I now understand why they call this the holy grail of beers! The abv in this beer is very well hidden. You could drink a few of these things without realizing how much youíve had! What else can I say, Everyone needs to get one at least once in their life! Only wish I had more... Maybe when I win the lottery Iíll head over and grab a case for myself! Cheers!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
daniellerose7 (119) - new york, New York, USA - MAY 18, 2008
YES FINALLY AFTER ALL THIS TIME! PERFECTLY YUMMYYYYY!!!!! Bottle from the Cracked Kettle in Amsterdam for 9 Euros!!! AMAZING!1!1!!!1

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
foodtraveller (61) - BELGIUM - MAY 18, 2008
Almost a perfect beer. The color is nicely dark with a not too thick foam. The nose is full of dark fruit, raisins, chocolate, hop, coffee. The taste builds on it with creaminess and a good bitterness. Very long aftertaste and nice palate. A bit of bottle age (since this is the latest bottling I took at the Abbey) will only improve on its perfection.

Ober (2813) - Bommelerwaard, NETHERLANDS - MAY 15, 2008
UPDATED: MAY 17, 2008 This is absolutely one of the best beers in the world. An almost hazy black colored beer, with a beautiful beige foamed head. It disappears slowly and leaves a nice lace on the glass. The aroma is incredibly complex. It has dark fruits, like prum, berries, raisins. very dark chocolate malt and notes of coffee. The taste is complex as well. itís gentle, several dark fruits, some spices and the taste of pure chocolate. The after taste has a very nice bitter, which stays for a while. It gives a very warm feeling in your mouth. As I already sad one of the best. But I leave 0.1 point free, for the perfect beer, if that is possible.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
DownsouthGav (601) - Greater London, ENGLAND - MAY 14, 2008
bottle courtesy of carlus12. Aroma of dried fruit, cream and malt. Pours an opaque brown beer with a beige head. Taste is malty with a fruit notes and hops. Very weekl balanced and a lovely palate with many flourishes. A great beer.

GeertGouwy (1) - Westvleteren, BELGIUM - MAY 13, 2008 does not count
UPDATED: OCT 19, 2009 The best!!!! Strange you display bottle with label since the original are sold without label.