overall
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3081   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.44   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
awaisanen (1304) - Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, USA - FEB 17, 2006
UPDATED: MAR 7, 2007 Dark, ruby red coloring with a beautifully self-sustaining head. Luscious raspberry, raisin, ripe plum, fragrant rose petals, and soft ripe peaches are intoxicating to the nostrils. Initial flavors are of the ripe red fruits, but then a delcious breadiness takes over as the yeasts start to work their magic. Iím flashing back to memories of eating freshly baked pumpkin bread as a child. Fantastic experience overall, first by meeting my expectations for such a renowned brew, and secondly by masking the alcohol in such a marvelous fashion. Welcome smack of delicately spiced apple cider for the grand finale.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
onystrom (1318) - Magellan Hunter! - Skanderborg, DENMARK - FEB 13, 2006
Dark amber (brown) unclear color with fine head. Fantastic aroma fruity among many other odors and flavors. But its strong. I prefer no 8.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Dedollewaitor (13761) - Odense, DENMARK - FEB 13, 2006
UPDATED: OCT 16, 2009 Only avaliable at the monastery. 3 times 24 beers avaliable per. car only! Limited and Beautiful. Dark, full and long finish! Very smooth texture. Dark fruits & caramel - little sweetness & little alcohol. Rerating Oktober 09. Had this more than a hundred times and it really needed a few extra words. 2005 vintage. Deep, dark rum and fruits. Complex in a way that is hard to describe. Even after 3500 beers. World class and top 10 for sure.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
redlight (2316) - Orlando, Florida, USA - FEB 10, 2006
UPDATED: AUG 23, 2009 Wow it was a treat to get to try this one. Great aroma, raisons, berries, caramel. Poured a dark brown, with a thin white head. The flavor was so smooth! Rich caramel, some plum, raison, vanilla. Felt silky.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
barleyandmalt (25) - USA - FEB 5, 2006
The end of the road is reached. Because of the hype, I did expect this beer to explode berries, caramels, many such complexities, and yet it was subtle. So unassuming and drinkable that I could have it on any occasion, with or without food, perhaps at any temp. and still enjoy it thoroughly. My applause to Westvleteren and deep thanks to Tijs Mallaerts.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
RateandPillage (426) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - FEB 5, 2006
Pours red/brown with a big offwhite head. Aroma is malty with some spice, banana, bread, and dark fruits. Flavor of the same, but keeps on going. Some caramel and light amounts of chocolate. Very complex. Thick on the palate. Nice, I can see why it is the most sought after beer on the planet.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
OhioDad (2493) - Hilliard, Ohio, USA - FEB 1, 2006
#1000 - I thought after 1000 I finally deserved to pop open one of these.. I think I got this one from my secret santa back in July, Mullman but I also got one I believe from alanc - Thanks guys! - Poured dark brown with a nice creamy tan head that stays very well and laces the sides of the trappist glass. Beautiful to behold in appearance. Aroma is beautiful as well. Nice notes of caramel, yeast, dark fruits, raisins, even a touch of chocolate. Very vinous and complex. This beer really shines on the palate with such a full bodied beer but a light soft moutfeel that seems to melt on your tongue.. Very pleasant to drink. Worthy of itís stature of the best... Very close to perfect and a great choice for #1000!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Siroy (220) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - JAN 31, 2006
UPDATED: FEB 1, 2006 For my 100th rating on RB, Iíve chose the emblematic Westy for the icon it represents. Considered by RBeerians aggregated opinions as being the best beer in the world.. to my experience, either Iíve not developed my taste enough and Iím no worthy of this beer or my expectations were simply unrealistic. Also, it could be because this beer itís a little overrated being the best of the hardest world-renowned Trappist beers to get.
Now why? Good question. I admit that the dark burgundy brown color with that fluffy/bubbly tan head, those very nice laces, hunks of yeast make it a definite 5 appearance: no question there. That extremely complex fruity nose going to an array of deep/rich fruits.. cherry, prunes, pears ..alcohol esters.. caramelized malts surrounded by a deep damp cellar impression, confirmed in the mouth while being rich, round, and long..

A very good beer but I havenít had that woahh-hiii (© 2005, Yowie) impression that I was expecting like when I had the Cantillon gueuze 1996, the Speciaal Brouwsel 20.. or even the Orval and the Avec les bons voeux.. Odd. Might be because I had this beer alone at my place while I had most of the beers I rated so far with such nice people, intensifying the experience of every beer.. People like Rastacouere, MartinT, tiggmtl, Olivier_MTL and ClakVV among others that I donít have the chance to see as often.
I have a few left and Iíll give this beer another try..

<rerate from another bottle>

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
GG (2039) - NorCal, California, USA - JAN 31, 2006
While having a tasting with an old friend, he brought this one out from his stash of world renowned beers. We split this one and I found myself overcome with the complexity of this quad. The monks of St. Sixtus make a wonderful product that should be shared with the world. Thereís nothing I could say that hasnít already been stated. Well deserving of the noteriety. Something that actually lives up to the hype.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
NosirIwont (1941) - Aalborg Vestby, DENMARK - JAN 30, 2006
Bottle. Pours clear amber brown with an off-white head. Aroma has rye, malt and yeast. Complex flavour; sweet and vinous with fruits and alcohol. Perfumy notes in the finish. Quite well-balanced. Great palate; soft with a perfect amount of carbonacid. A nice beer, but a bit overrated imho. 28-01-06.