overall
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3376   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.44   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
hapjydeuce (972) - Carlsbad, California, USA - MAY 30, 2007
UPDATED: APR 17, 2008 Indeed, the best Belgian brew I have ever tried. Worthy of the #1 beer in the world status. Opened my bottle with jarpag after sampling his í05 bottle in celebration of college graduation. My bottle is from mid-late í05. Poured a deep mohogany color with a small beige head that cascaded around its edges and good lacing throughout a whole Trappist glass. Then came the aroma....wow! Blew me away with thick notes of Belgian yeast, malt, banana, raisin, dark fruits and raspberry! Flavor was similar to the aroma, but soooo incredibly complex. Each sip was a new experience, and the palate was unique all its own. Plum, raisin, candy sugar, more banana and pear. Perfect -a mouthfeel that is nearly un-describable, so velvety smooth and numbing in the mouth, it keeps the wonderful flavor on the back of the tongue forever. This beer is definitely worth all the hype, and I am stoked to have tried it along side another bottle! It epitomizes the Trappist quadrupel genre of beer. Cant wait to have this one again!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
jarspag (601) - San Francisco, California, USA - MAY 29, 2007
UPDATED: MAR 24, 2008 2005 Bottle from kramer17801 - thanks for the chance to dive into this. --- sampled next to an í06 on May 28th í07 in celebration of my graduation from college. This brew deserves the hype, I was definitely not let down. It was very unique in many ways... The aroma was very enjoyable with some molasses, oak, plums, and a subtle raspberry punch. The Westy was sooooo wonderful in the mouth. So rich, smooth, velvety, complex and soft. I wanted to take a bite out of the side of my cheek and lips after swallowing. The carbonation was so elegant and perfect - hard to describe its superiority - it needs a 6 out of 5 for palate. An all-around unbelievably complex beer and one which is deserving of holding the top spot - especially b/c it does not appeal to a certain preference - I think it is a beer that all can enjoy in their own way!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
xav33 (313) - Midland, MI, Michigan, USA - MAY 29, 2007
HUGE THANKS TO MREUSCH FOR THE TRADE! Westvleteren 12 12 oz bottle Capped 10/30/09 (bottled 06),found God 05/07 Moderate pour in a tulip glass. Poured a very murky dark brown with a moderate to large frothy mostly to fully lasting beige head. Smelt of moderate to strong plums, raisins, vinous, with light cinnamon, cloves, caramel, mushroom yeastiness. First sip was like an injection of Godliness. My tastebuds got shocked all the way into my spine. Upfront moderate sweet bitter and light sour everything followed by a strong bitter yeast moss and moderate sweetness on a long finish. Palate was medium to full bodied, softly carbonated, creamy and slightly alcoholic. Overall, the nose does not do it justice. It tastes like mystery and is so beautifully balanced throughout, it is dangerously drinkable for a quad. Godliness in a bottle.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
LagerLoather (13) - Chicago - Downtown, Illinois, USA - MAY 27, 2007
My first ratebeer rating. Bottle dated 06-12-09. Tasted at near room tempature out of large brandy snifter. Appearance dark caramel color with little head and beautifal lacing. Some yeasties.. Complex aroma but difficult to pick out individual aromas (muted). Tasted dates,cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, molasses and slight caramel. Overall taste reminds me of a fine cognac in complexity. Pallatte is soft and silky yet thick with very, very, very long finish. I was still tasting aspects of it after having a sausage, bacon and pineapple deep dish pizza. How do I get more of this?

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
xenthem0nk (101) - Oregon, USA - MAY 26, 2007
Thanks to my old long time friend Nick going out to Belgium to bring back a few cases of this masterpiece to the Northwest - http://nickwusz.googlepages.com/westvleteren When he came back, knowing the story made the experience so much more enjoyable. The nose is just unbelievable. Plum, butterscotch, caramel, butter, every dark sweet scent perfectly ripened, very pleasurable. Appearance is really dense, but not too much sediment. Not like the Brune from Abbayes des Rocs we drank right beforehand. Westy is finely filtered, but still dense. Flavor slight burn when it was cold, but the cold sharpness really faded into pure smooth silky goodness about 10 minutes into it. It has an amazing fully loaded body, so many textures and contours. The flavor was the most complex Iíve had. Cherry, maple, nutmeg, chocolate, but not too sweet like a grand cru, and again, amazingly clear flavors with such a high alcohol %. Bottom line, this is the most skilled brew Iíve had to date, Iím being as objective as I can as so many people feel the same way I do. Knowing the monks donít mass produce it despite the demand only increases its succulence. Itís made with care, dedication, appreciation, and profound skill. Iím positive these elements show in the overall outcome. My hat goes off Westvleteren and to Nick. Thank you.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
xnoxhatex (1305) - Grand Rapids/Chicago, Michigan, USA - MAY 25, 2007
UPDATED: MAY 26, 2007 I got to try this on tap at the cafe next to the abbey last summer and actually found it much more amazing and if I had rated it then it would probably have a higher rating from me. I also brought back a six pack of the 12 and split my girlfriends six amongst the blond and the 8. One of the twelves I used during a blind tasting of quads with drewbeerme and holdenn. This is that rating. White head sits on top of murky red-brown body. Aroma is beautiful with lots of dark fruit, and malt. Taste is syrupy but none the less fantastic. Raisin, plum, sweet malt. Large body matches large flavor. Surprisingly though, Rochefort beat out the Westy when it came down to numbers.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
kapusta (88) - Dover, Delaware, USA - MAY 24, 2007
I donít want to sound like I just jumped on the band wagon, but this is probably the best beer that I have ever tried. Wholesome and rich, with a sweet chocolate/cotton candy aroma. You can taste the ripe fruit and alcohol, and you notice the setery taste on the top of the mouth. If I can do this justice, I would say that it tasted similar to a chocolate covered cordial cherry (real one, not those boxed types). We just got back from Belgium, and I was fortunate enough to pickup two crates. This is so good, that I donít even want to drink it, in order to save it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
mazfln (116) - Florianůpolis, BRAZIL - MAY 21, 2007
UPDATED: MAY 22, 2007 Well... I was very anxious to try this beer and I had great expectations. But I coudnít imagine how different this beer would be. I really liked it, it is VERY complex. I canít describe the aromas or the flavours. I could sense some sweetness and some alcohol in the aroma, but some other things that I canít describe. The flavour is wonderful, it is very balanced and the sweetness is very pleasant, as it is not so strong. A lot of fruits in the aftertaste. The mouthfeel is very nice also, and the carbonation is perfect for the style. A very unique beer. I have another bottle in my cellar for a future tasting, and maybe I will be able to rate it more properly.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
rayg1 (584) - Charlotte, North Carolina, USA - MAY 18, 2007
Ok the Westy 12..... poured out a deep brown with a red hue with some floaties and a lacing of white head that lasted throughout. Armoa is tons of dark fruits with raisins and plums the most dominant followed by a hint of alcohol. Taste is powerful and complex with plums and dark candi sugar, touch of dark chocolate and spice, it all finishes with a sweet alcoholic tingle as the alcohol was less hidden than I imagined. Mouthfeel was great, this is a wonderful beer no doubt but I must say I think that the beer is a bit hyped up and there are a few Quads out there that could be considered equals. Huge thanks to Ross for sharing this gem with me!

TomFlor77 (1) - Koksijde, BELGIUM - MAY 14, 2007 does not count
Pours a deep mahogany, ruby highlights, and a long lasting huge pillow white head. Smells of rich dark fruit, candi sugar,Honney , cereal, yeasty, a hint of alcohol, somewhat vinous, amazingly complex. Flavor: candied figs, lchocolaty, chewy malts, buttery on the finish. Full velvety body with carbonation just dancing in your mouth.