overall
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3071   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.44   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
scoobyluv (504) - Asheville, North Carolina, USA - DEC 31, 2005
nice lacing. dark caramel color. plae brown head. raisin smell. slight alcohol burn. nutmeg and spice. iím not a fan of belgians but this is pretty good. smooth as hell with the taste sitting lightly on the tongue

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
sunevdj (3120) - Copenhagen OE, DENMARK - DEC 29, 2005
UPDATED: APR 15, 2014 Pours brown with a beige head. Very sweet. Nice dryness. Aromas of almondliqueur, nuts, alcohol and much more. Very full. I can imagine that if I to keep loving this beer Iīll have to drink only one per session; otherwise it might be a bit too much. Bought the beer (in a bottle) at the brewery.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Augustbrews (1) - USA - DEC 21, 2005 does not count
The Abt 12 is substantial. You can expect a cascade of flavor. A lovely blend of malt and hops. Inviting aroma. A connoisseur could find a dozen flavors to describe. I found myself sipping and savoring until the last.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Dickinsonbeer (5077) - Hoboken, New Jersey, USA - DEC 18, 2005
Rating #1000. Big thanks to Martin (Engelsmann). I cant beleive I have never rated this before- I think I have had samples at previous tastings. Im glad I waited, this beer is very deserving of the 1000th rating. Pours a very very deep amber- mostly brown and moslty cloudy even when I left the dreggs in the bottle. A very large light beige head is created upon the pour with a crapload of sticky lacing on the sides of the glass. Aroma is truly unlike any other beer I have had- not even the St Bernardus can compare. Aroma of light earthy and spicy hints with light barnyard notes. Next the fruity esters from the yeast come into play, and then finish with a crapload of sweet fruity malt- lots of caramel, chocolate, and special B. Almost a musty hint in the end of the aroma as well. Flavor is mostly sweet malt in the front with caramel chocolate malst in the middle- intermingling with hops and even a touch of tobacco. Good hop bitterness in the end- almost an earthy-hop character. Finishes a bit dry but still a lot of complex malt sweetness. Full mouthfeel with a smooth finish. This beer is so unique and so complex that is is deserving of the highest rating on this site.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Bart (2941) - Brussels, BELGIUM - DEC 18, 2005
Dark brown colour, average off white head. Rather sweet and malty aroma, fruity to. Smouth and creamy palate, wonderfull finish, light bitter creamy, some herbs.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
bager (2121) - Copenhagen N, DENMARK - DEC 15, 2005
I know most people like this one over Rochefort 10. I dont. I find the palate in Rochefort 10 better than this one. But dont get me wrong - still an exelent brew.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
RooftopRogue (423) - Champaign, Illinois, USA - DEC 11, 2005
A nice healthy oak and citrus aroma. A dark cloudy copper color. A good thick cream colored head when is first poured draws itself into the beer. A rich and heavy smooth malt taste that fades leaving the mild taste of honey lingering in the throat.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
Kingsley (26) - San Diego, California, USA - DEC 8, 2005
UPDATED: JAN 9, 2006 Iíve tasted thousands of beers in the last 23 years, and I have no doubt that this is the best Iíve tried. I first tried it on the only sunny day in my tour of Belgium in 2000, sitting outside of Het Spannekopke restaurant (a must-try if in Brussels). When the waiter came to check on us, he saw my smile and said "I know, I know..." Since then Iíve had it at home and at the Belgian beer festivals at Carlsbad Pizza Port. Most recently tried it alongside Rochefort 10 at home. Dark brown-burgundy in color, with a thick, rocky head. Very malty, but balanced with bitter notes of charcoal and a slight smokiness in addition to the hops. Gets better as it warms towards room temperature. Sweet toffee, molasses, and candy sugar flavors fill the palate. A delight. (After rating, I went through and read the lowest ratings of this. Several people mention the high cost. When I bought it, both at the restaurant and at the bottle store, the price wasnít out of the ordinary for a trappist ale. I suppose that, since 2000, the beer has grown so in reputation and popularity that it has risen in price. A rare find, and hence, expensive, if these stories of its expense are to be believed.)

slotman (2) - DENMARK - DEC 8, 2005 does not count
This is just the very best beer. Nothing compares to the special Westvleteren-flavour. Like the Rochefort 10, itís sweet and is just a explosions of joyfull taste in your mouth. I cannot recommend this beer enough. Itís difficult to get a hold on, but prepare yourself for a taste of another world. The second best beer I have tasted is the Rochefort 10, and allthough it gets close to Abt12, it is not in the same ligue. Highly recommendable!!!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
crizay (1050) - Brook Park, Ohio, USA - DEC 4, 2005
UPDATED: AUG 6, 2007 Thanks to Kevster for this badboy that his guy picked up from the brewery with 175 cars in front of him, so thanks to you also. 2nd time, big thanks to MikeTD. Dark mahogany pour with a white head that stays the whole time. Perfumy aroma. Dark berries, loads of candi sugar, caramel and a touch of chocolate in the background. Lots of floral hops and a big earthy aftertaste. As it warms apples, pear lights fruits and dark berries come out more. Perfumy as well with more spicy yeast and candi sugar sticking around. Truly is a world class brew.