overall
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3392   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.44   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Stip (8) - Zolder, BELGIUM - JUN 4, 2007 does not count
I can see why this beer was rated the best in the world. It’s a pity it’s so hard to get!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
DrededBrethren (10) - Palm, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 3, 2007
Very exciting tasting 6/2 thanks to Jhop and friends. Aroma- nothing dominating but a nice complex blend of light roast, perfumey alcohol, dark fruit and banana. Appearance- Hazy brown, tan head and hot legs. Flavor- Similar to the aroma but a subtle hint of a noble hop variety into the warm finish. Palate- medium-full body with a delicate presence in the mouth that is only found in a westvleteren. Killer Quad.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
afterglow (1047) - Florida, USA - JUN 2, 2007
Pours a slightly hazy dark brown with a small light tan head that fades leaving minimal lacing. Aroma of dark fruit, slightly burnt caramel, figs, alcohol, slight banana, and yeast spice. Taste is the same as aroma with just a slight residual sweetness. Medium mouthfeel with a nice but not hot alcohol warmth and mild bitterness. This beer lived up to all of the hype. I can’t wait to get my hands on one again.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
eyesandsmiles (179) - Mission Viejo, California, USA - JUN 2, 2007
The taste really flourishes at the end of the sip. Its as if its aromas are released only after imbibing. Great beer. Worth the hype? not sure.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Furseth (2023) - Kungälv, SWEDEN - JUN 1, 2007
Bottle:2006: Thx to Patrik( oh6gdx) Deep red hazy colour,flat head. Aroma of alc,citrus,burned sugar,and a balanced hopy end. Flavor is almost the same,Smouth citic,alc,rasin mouth feeling. Full body,long rasin,citrus,alc bitterfinish.So werry well done: Great!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
coldbrewky (1499) - Hippetown East, New York, USA - MAY 31, 2007
UPDATED: JUN 1, 2007 This is the last bottle from my first trade with Maria. I had consumed one of these during my ’Iron City" days and found it to be "neat" then. Ignorance is not always bliss. Pours a murky and mysterious dark brown with hints of brown arond the edges. A large bubble head that is quite rocky erupts from my less than gentle pour. Spice and sweet nose. Rasins, and candied figs. Body is also gently spicy with well balanced malt. this beer is no way in your face about anything. I moved out of my standard consumption area (the basement) partly due to the beautiful day here in NY and the fact that my cats will not leave me alone at all since I opened this beer. It seems they desire it like they desire tuna or catnip. If you read my posts, the cats at times have given their two cents on a variety of styles. This time their antics drove me to the porch. A fantastic rounded finish that makes you questiion whether or not his may be the best balanced beer on the planet. #200

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
hapjydeuce (975) - Carlsbad, California, USA - MAY 30, 2007
UPDATED: APR 17, 2008 Indeed, the best Belgian brew I have ever tried. Worthy of the #1 beer in the world status. Opened my bottle with jarpag after sampling his ’05 bottle in celebration of college graduation. My bottle is from mid-late ’05. Poured a deep mohogany color with a small beige head that cascaded around its edges and good lacing throughout a whole Trappist glass. Then came the aroma....wow! Blew me away with thick notes of Belgian yeast, malt, banana, raisin, dark fruits and raspberry! Flavor was similar to the aroma, but soooo incredibly complex. Each sip was a new experience, and the palate was unique all its own. Plum, raisin, candy sugar, more banana and pear. Perfect -a mouthfeel that is nearly un-describable, so velvety smooth and numbing in the mouth, it keeps the wonderful flavor on the back of the tongue forever. This beer is definitely worth all the hype, and I am stoked to have tried it along side another bottle! It epitomizes the Trappist quadrupel genre of beer. Cant wait to have this one again!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
jarspag (601) - San Francisco, California, USA - MAY 29, 2007
UPDATED: MAR 24, 2008 2005 Bottle from kramer17801 - thanks for the chance to dive into this. --- sampled next to an ’06 on May 28th ’07 in celebration of my graduation from college. This brew deserves the hype, I was definitely not let down. It was very unique in many ways... The aroma was very enjoyable with some molasses, oak, plums, and a subtle raspberry punch. The Westy was sooooo wonderful in the mouth. So rich, smooth, velvety, complex and soft. I wanted to take a bite out of the side of my cheek and lips after swallowing. The carbonation was so elegant and perfect - hard to describe its superiority - it needs a 6 out of 5 for palate. An all-around unbelievably complex beer and one which is deserving of holding the top spot - especially b/c it does not appeal to a certain preference - I think it is a beer that all can enjoy in their own way!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
xav33 (313) - Midland, MI, Michigan, USA - MAY 29, 2007
HUGE THANKS TO MREUSCH FOR THE TRADE! Westvleteren 12 12 oz bottle Capped 10/30/09 (bottled 06),found God 05/07 Moderate pour in a tulip glass. Poured a very murky dark brown with a moderate to large frothy mostly to fully lasting beige head. Smelt of moderate to strong plums, raisins, vinous, with light cinnamon, cloves, caramel, mushroom yeastiness. First sip was like an injection of Godliness. My tastebuds got shocked all the way into my spine. Upfront moderate sweet bitter and light sour everything followed by a strong bitter yeast moss and moderate sweetness on a long finish. Palate was medium to full bodied, softly carbonated, creamy and slightly alcoholic. Overall, the nose does not do it justice. It tastes like mystery and is so beautifully balanced throughout, it is dangerously drinkable for a quad. Godliness in a bottle.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
LagerLoather (13) - Chicago - Downtown, Illinois, USA - MAY 27, 2007
My first ratebeer rating. Bottle dated 06-12-09. Tasted at near room tempature out of large brandy snifter. Appearance dark caramel color with little head and beautifal lacing. Some yeasties.. Complex aroma but difficult to pick out individual aromas (muted). Tasted dates,cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, molasses and slight caramel. Overall taste reminds me of a fine cognac in complexity. Pallatte is soft and silky yet thick with very, very, very long finish. I was still tasting aspects of it after having a sausage, bacon and pineapple deep dish pizza. How do I get more of this?