overall
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3228   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.44   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
jetzler (622) - oklahoma city, Oklahoma, USA - OCT 3, 2006
UPDATED: FEB 21, 2007 Bottle 53F Trappist. Light banana aroma, with a touch of black licorice, a touch of chocolate. A very cloudy dark, dark brown color, with a tan head that lasts. Heavy fusil tastes, very big tons of raisin, maybe dates too, finishes with warm bread plenty of alcohol as well, with a bit of corn flakes at the end. Sweet taste almost no bitterness. The date on it was 26.04.09 maybe I should have let it set for a year or two. That would have made for better balance. Really big bananas and good bready malts. I think I drank this bottle too soon. I should have given it a few more months or years, it tastes a lot like my homebrew and that really disturbs me. Good palate light but tons of carbonation. A good brew just consumed too soon, damn I have no patience.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
illinismitty (2270) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - OCT 2, 2006
UPDATED: OCT 3, 2006 Number 500. Cap dated 08-03-09. Ross generously gave this to me as a surprise on our first trade. I had been trying to get this for awhile. Thanks BP! Pours a muddy brown, murky with sediment, with a lasting creamy camel head. The aroma is not very aggressive on this bottle, which is faint sugary plums and cherry. I really expected more out of the aroma, along the lines of a Rochefort 10. Creamy and slight evervescent mouthfeel. Initial flavor of yeast, dried fruit...very earthy. In the middle I get some licorice and cinnamon. This transitions to a slight bitter and warming finish. I was expecting the alcohol to be hidden, it does come out in the finish.. As it warms, more brown sugar sweetness creeps out. Great beer, no question. Worth the hype? Perhaps, but not in my book. Definitely not worth paying the absurd prices from Belgianshopo or trading away your beer cellar. Get a Rochefort 10 or St Bernardus Abt 12 and keep the extra money. But thanks to Ross for giving me a chance to try the holy grail.

Grovlam (4157) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - SEP 24, 2006
UPDATED: DEC 3, 2006 This is the top beer in the world, out of all the beer’s that I have tasted. 29-09-2006 second time I have tasted this great beer. I was overwhelmed even more then the first time. Aroma malt was clear caramel, bread. Some raisin and licorice like aroma. Notes of fig and plum as well. Amazingly complex aroma. Appearance was likewise incredible and very pleasing to have in the hand. Color was dark and yet golden like notes. Liquid was light sparkling, but very pleasing sparkling taste in mouth. Head was brownish. Flavor was heavy sweet but in a good way. Slightly bitter, but nothing overwhelming. Just enough to hold the sweet taste in balance. Sour flavour was very light. Maybe a bit of salty notes in the middle. Palate where the body was full full full…overwhelmingly full and rich. Texture was thick and oily and creamy like. Carbonation is soft and the finish just levees you with the longest and greatest finishes ever. What a world class number one beer. This is why I drink beer; it can be such an amazing experience. Just think I have two more at home........wow

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
cewldre (268) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - SEP 22, 2006
Thanks to IMtheOptimator for this one. Bottle: WOW!! Pours dark in color and smells of some chocolate strawbeery type flavors, with maybe, dare I say, a hint of some sort of meat smell. Taste is incredible. A bit of creaminess with just a taste of bitterness. Very fruity in flavor. This beer deserves it’s top spot well. Simply incredible.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Naven (1000) - Poway, California, USA - SEP 21, 2006
Bottle, thanks to my man Jimbowood. I got to be honest, I opened this expecting to be totally dissappointed. It’s all hype, right? Wrong. What a surprise it was for my tounge to get smacked hard by tons of fruit. I was totally expecting a dark, thick concoction, instead, this beer is fruity, somewhat light, and absolutely delicious. An amazing beer in every regard and deserving of all the hype.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Bartzilla (551) - La Mesa, California, USA - SEP 21, 2006
Well, crap my pants and call me Leon... I finally got to try some of this thanks to a lucrative trade with BeerCellar2. The hype is deserved. I totally didn’t expect what hit my mouth. I was expecting a dark abbey and got a mouthfull of bubblegum fruit deliciousness with a tiny tinge of alcohol to keep my butt in check. Clever monks, man. Good stuff. Might be the world’s #1, but it’s a tough call as this seems to defy style in it’s genre. I can tell you that I would drink the bloody hell out of this if I had a vast supply. And I’d die happy. Monk happy.

CheesedMan (555) - Saint Cloud, Florida, USA - SEP 20, 2006
Cap dated 28.08.08 After long last, I have found my Holy Grail. Deep and rich aroma, highlighted by hints of molasses, and dare I say a touch of treacle. On the palate, I was hard pressed to find any of the mighty alcohol, as this beer is perfectly balanced, perfect hop bite on the finish. And lo, I am raptured...

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
GRM (3084) - Aylmer, Quebec, CANADA - SEP 18, 2006
Bottle; eye: brown with reddish reflections, no effervescence, suspended matter, clear; nose: my first reaction was "this is too much, I won’t be able to handle it" but I got citrusy, tobacco, caramelized malt, "freshness", licorice, alcohol, complex, candied fruits, hops, spices, fruity, peppery alcohol; mouth: I remember more the pleasure of drinking than the actual savours and I thus am missing many of them, syrupy (port), silky and creamy texture, spices, anise, finale of alcohol, malt and peppery alcohol, good carbonation, full body, lightly fizzy; overall: wow! FRANÇAIS Bouteille; oeil : brune avec des reflets rougeâtres, pas d’effervescence, matière en suspension, claire; nez : ma première réaction fût : « Je ne serai pas capable de dealer avec ça! À chaque sniff, ça sent quelque chose d’autre. » mais je peux vous lister : citrique, tabac, malt caramlisé, fraîcheur, réglisse, alcool, complexe, fruits confits, houblon, épices, fruitée, alcool poivré; bouche : je me rappelle bien plus le plaisir de la boire que les notes que j’ai prises; bouche : liquoreux (porto), texture soyeuse et crémeuse, épices, anis, finale en alcool, malt et alcool poivré, bonne carbonatation, corsé, légèrement pétillante; en résumé : wow!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Diogène (1066) - Mirabel, Quebec, CANADA - SEP 18, 2006
UPDATED: MAY 26, 2009 It has been a long time since I wanted to try this one and there it is. Brown red opaque beer with a huge creamy mocha head that lasts forever. Aroma is spicy, notes of port, wine, grapes, raisins, malt, yeast... Taste is a wonderfull blend of spices, sweet malt, port, cognac, wine, raisns, plums, grapes, yeast, dough, honey, caramel, some bitterness in the aftertaste and such a creamy mouthfeel. The alcohol seems to be way less than 10.2%. Well, the Westvleteren 12 definitely lives up to the Hype. A real gem!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
Stefano (1886) - Thisted, DENMARK - SEP 17, 2006
UPDATED: MAY 4, 2007 It is almost sacrilegious to call this beer. It transcends the category, with its deliciously enticing fruity-wine aroma and magnificent, malty raspberry/plum taste. Strong yet delicate, imagine biting into a perfectly ripe pear to get an idea of the texture and heartiness exhibited by ’12’. With such a high alcohol content, one would expect an overwhelming alcohol flavor, but it was masked as well as any ’beer’ I’ve had. With its rich, delectable taste, beautiful dark color, frothy head, and luscious aroma, this IS the perfect ’beer.’ An orgiastic feast for the senses.