overall
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3109   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.44   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
GBBTBILL (1) - San Diego, California, USA - MAR 8, 2006 does not count
A beer worth traveling to Belgium to drink. Just back from the Great Belgian Beer Tour - we traveled from Brussels to Westvleterenís In de Vrede Cafe for a tasting of the 12 the 8 and the blonde

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
yngwie (13346) - Kristiansand, NORWAY - MAR 6, 2006
Bottled. Rating #500. Iíve waited quite patiently for this one. It has been in my cellar since september, and I decided when I bought it that I should save it for rating #500. I think I have entered my 499 beers quite rapidly, just over six months, but the waiting has been way to long, and the beer has been staring at me every time I went to get another beer in the cellar. Now, as I am to open it, I am a little bit nervous. Itís not my virgin-sample of a Westy 12, Iíve had it two or three times before, I am just nervous that it might be bad in any way, or that I might get disappointed. After all, my taste-buds has evolved a little since my first rating. It has a BB date of 28.02.08, so it is ok in that way, hope it is in any other way too. Well, off goes the cap. The first aroma is very vinous and oaked. Then, when itís poured, black currant, caramel, dried fruits, light alcohol, spices and a light yeastiness comes through. You donít get it much more complex than this. It looks gorgeous, dark reddish-brown and sparkling, and with some sediments if you prefer that. It has probably the most dense, lasting head that Iíve seen so far, beige in color, and huge. The flavor is rich, with caramel, candi-sweetness, malt, spices, bitterness, cherry and alcohol. Too much alcohol, I think. There are lots of other beers masking the 10% ABV much better, but it is not an unpleasant alcohol-level. The body is full and it has a sweet and bitter finish that is quite long. The flavor and finish is rounded of as the beer warms up, and my starting temperature of 10įC was too cold, especially for the finish to step forward. It turned out I had no reason to be nervous, the beer probably deserves its first place on Ratebeer, but I expected that I could give it a higher score. A beer that matches aroma and flavor even better will hopefully come my way some day, and then maybe the perfect 5 will be given. (060306)

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Numenor (871) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - MAR 2, 2006
UPDATED: MAR 4, 2006 Taphouse in Norfolk -- Iíll admit, I never thought Iíd rate another beer above a 4.4, but there you go. A perfect dark cherry appearance with a nice ivroy head. The aroma is very silky, almost not there and highly delicate. Amazing taste of cherry, chocolate and many other flavors, too complex to be able to identify. If one can call any beer liquid silk this would be it. The Westy 12 was well worth the wait, though Iíll admit that the Rochefort 10 is a very close second and far more economical. This beer ends with a nice warming effect all thoughout the mouth and throat.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
gputty (456) - Virgina Beach, Virginia, USA - FEB 26, 2006
Got to experience this beverage with Immy at the Taphouse in Norfolk. A lot of anticipation leading up to the first sip, and I was not let down. "Grape juice of the Gods" kept running through my mind. Pours a dark brown, maybe a hint of red, with a small tan head that dissipated. Vinous nose, almost like a red wine. This is definitely a beer to savor, as I still do not have a handle on the complexities of the flavor. Suffice to say though, this is wonderful stuff!

smcd (366) - USA - FEB 26, 2006
UPDATED: MAR 8, 2006 Being obliged to rate this beer seems apparently necessary ... I like W.12. I do. I wouldnít rate it as the best beer in the world. But it is delicious. Note, however, that this is a "vintage" product -- some years are better than others and it changes with age. (Bottled. 03/2006). This batch seems "green". Body is relatively thin compared to past experiences with this brew. All the same major notes as described below but the body definitely seems thinner warranting a slight "downgrade" in the overall impression. (Earlier notes) Pours dark, dark brown. Complex aromas of dried fruits, nuts, and biscuits. An intense flavor that emerges as it warms up. A wonderful experience to be sure. Vintages vary ... a "4" would be a "4.5" for some years and something less in others.

Immy (1955) - Virginia Beach, USA - FEB 22, 2006
FINALLY! Had mine at the Taphouse in the Ghent section of Norfolk, VA with gputty. Even brought my own glass for the occasion. Many things in life do not come close to matching their "hype". Fortunately, I feel this one goes beyond the considerable buzz surrounding it. Pours into my trappist glass a deep mahogany brownish red. Somewhat murky, a slight, off white head crowns the top, a foreshadow of the weblike dense lacing. Initially, the nose is rather vinous, like a medium red, with some cherry notes peeking through. As it warms, a far more complex aroma emerges. Notes of dark fruits - raisin and black cherries - shine through. The cornucopia of scents is almost overwhelming, too much going on to pinpoint all the complexities. Finally, I lift the glass and draw my first sip. Light Muscatine grapes cascade across my tongue to start the show, followed by a textbook quad fruitiness, highlighted by black cherry, prune and some light molasses. All this flies by you as the finish approaches, a lovely sweet, slightly tart mildly dry epilogue. All too soon, I see the tiny logo at the bottom of my glass, signaling the beginning of the end. Fully warmed, the alcohol becomes just slightly more apparent, and some of the initial winelike notes have faded to a warm, sweet end. Sad but sated, I give this my first 5.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Holdwine (1075) - Beertimore, Maryland, USA - FEB 20, 2006
Thanks Max. Well, now I have tasted the best. Wonderful mix of fruitcake flavors, all spicy and warm. 10.2%? nicely hidden. Super complex with notes and tastes flying everywhere. Hard to imagine such variety in a single beer. Almost unassuming as you drink in the monkís labor. Then when finished you sit back and smile...

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
auerbrau (3164) - Peace Dale, Rhode Island, USA - FEB 18, 2006
UPDATED: DEC 13, 2008 Pours a clear ruby red with mahogany, head of even cream with a fine bubbled geometric tan, followed with sticky sheeting lacing. Aroma is a phenolic fruit and floral quality, with a hint of lavender and honeysuckle, with a strong fresh blast of raspberries, almost candied, with cream. Bottom, with yeast, has a more subdued and dusky aroma, with raisins, yeast and light hazlenut. Flavor is classic fruity quad, that as it warms develops into a much broader level of complexity. A real strong edge of fresh squeezed orange juice and a tinge of the fresh raspberrie continues. Dense flavor, with sweet candi sugars, warm yeast and a hint of lime peel and juniper berries. A good strong dose of abbeyian fruitcake on the backend, laced with silken chocolate swirls. A smack of rich mulled apple cider, with light spice. A hint of nutmeg. Itís as delecate and deft as a rich creamy port sauce, over quickly seared kobe beef, with italian cherries in syrup. Mingled in is a hint of wild mushroom. All poured into a buttery crust of pastry. Palate is perfect and exquisite, dazzling the tounge, hiding any alcohol and carrying all these flavors most deftly. Obviously good. It held up to my expectations and deserves one of my Top 10 spots, but this beer is <i>perfect</i>. Itís not startlingly different, just amazingly crafted. Thanks Jason&#033;

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
awaisanen (1304) - Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, USA - FEB 17, 2006
UPDATED: MAR 7, 2007 Dark, ruby red coloring with a beautifully self-sustaining head. Luscious raspberry, raisin, ripe plum, fragrant rose petals, and soft ripe peaches are intoxicating to the nostrils. Initial flavors are of the ripe red fruits, but then a delcious breadiness takes over as the yeasts start to work their magic. Iím flashing back to memories of eating freshly baked pumpkin bread as a child. Fantastic experience overall, first by meeting my expectations for such a renowned brew, and secondly by masking the alcohol in such a marvelous fashion. Welcome smack of delicately spiced apple cider for the grand finale.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
onystrom (1318) - Magellan Hunter! - Skanderborg, DENMARK - FEB 13, 2006
Dark amber (brown) unclear color with fine head. Fantastic aroma fruity among many other odors and flavors. But its strong. I prefer no 8.