overall
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3636   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.43/5   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

AleDude (41) - USA - APR 29, 2008
A dark brown color which pours a nice foamy head. Aroma is full of spicey scents. Tastes sweet with a hint of fruit and still some spice, but finishes so smooth -- it is a joy to drink. Truly one of the finest, if not the finest, beer in the world.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
mmather (172) - Colorado, USA - APR 27, 2008
As perfect as a beer gets. Caramel, alcohol, malt, hint of hops all smoothly blended together. Have had it a few times and it never disappoints. A beautiful beer that I have never seen adequately duplicated.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Lothore (621) - California, USA - APR 26, 2008
A-Pours a deep, cloudy violet color with little to no head, perhaps because the pour wasnít very aggresive. S- Smell is amazing. Deep dark fruits, raisins, hints of plum, with a deep yeasty earthiness that is hard to describe. boozy. T- Taste is extremely balanced and minimal yet overflowing with complexity. Starts off just as in the nose with deep dark fruits, moves into a bit of an acidic bite which mingles with a hop bitterness joined with a spicy flavor. There is a deep breadiness all the way through and booziness at the end which tops it off perfectly. M- Thick, low on carbonation and fairly dry. Lingers on the palate for a while. D- I wanted to dislike this beer, I really really did. I told myself I would rate it like any other and try to play down the hype but it just didnít work. The only way I can describe how good this one goes down is the spicy, warming sharpness of the finish of a good big red wine. Because of the price I wonít actively seek this one out again but if iím ever in europe and I see one you can bet thatís what iíll be drinking. I usually dislike quads but this one seemed so laid back, it was a delight.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
SunDevil21 (2) - Scottsdale, Arizona, USA - APR 25, 2008 does not count
This beer was simply amazing. Itís only appropriate, I suppose, for it to be my first "official" rating on here. A friend and myself enjoyed it thoroughly and have both agreed that it is a simply amazing beer overall. In my opinion, it wasnít too much or too little, but rather just right. Iím not sure I can accurately describe it. But I loved it. Iím glad I was able to enjoy what I could, but only wish there could have been more!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
doppelmeup (51) - Wake Forest, North Carolina, USA - APR 25, 2008
Many thanks to my friend Troy who brought back two bottles of this from a recent trip to Belgium and was gracious enough to share. Poured a rich, dark brown color into a chalice. However, when the light hit it just right, it had a deep ruby/garnet glow. Wasnít a huge head, but stayed around for a while. Also, we were sharing this among several people, so pouring this bottle into multiple glasses may have affected the head size as well. Aromas were good, but nothing really stood out. Rather fruity, like plums and brown sugar, with some sweetness as well. The taste was excellent. Lots of dark fruits, honey, some spice, and also a bit of alcohol bitterness. Mouthfeel was exceptiona, like drinking velvet. Just a tingle of carbonation to keep the palate fresh. Overall, this was a great beer. Did it live up to the hype--could it live up to the hype? Hard to say. I would love to have another full glass rather than the portion I had in order to really savor and explore this beer. But I canít say that I was dissappoin

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
jake65 (3368) - Meridian, Idaho, USA - APR 24, 2008
UPDATED: MAR 15, 2009 Bottle: Pours a deep brown with a large, thick, lasting, and creamy beige head. Easy 5. Here we go best beer in the world! Aroma is mild, but satisfying. Fruity, malty, toffee, and hints of alcohol warm the nose. Before I notice the flavor, I am taken back with the extreme creaminess and richness of the palate. A ípureí 5 here. Flavor is blended and balanced so well that nothing takes over. An excellent blend of malts, toffee, chocolate, dark fruits, raison, and spices. Immaculate taste. Easily a top of the world brew. Thanks to jjpm74 for hookin me up with this prize!!! <P> Re-rate on 3/14/09: Less intensity in the aroma tonight. Still fruity, toffee, and sweet candied sugar, but not as rich as I had remembered. Flavor profile is not as deep as the first time I had this. More fruity and candied sugar notes, but lacking the dark fruits, chocolate, and leathery feel of before. Iím basically re-rating because I feel that my original rating had to much awe factor involved...

crazymonk (1) - BELGIUM - APR 24, 2008 does not count
the best beer in thr world. it starts with a strong aroma of dark fruits and candi sugar. Pours a reddish-brown with a dusting of tan head. The flavor is amazing. Slight sweetness, with some apple notes and cinnamon. Long slightly peppery finish.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
TheRoot (38) - Brantford, Ontario, CANADA - APR 24, 2008
Compliments of JerC from his trip to the happiest place on earth.. This is my first taste of Westy and was an admittedly small sample in a wee wine sample glass. There was also some question as to the authenticity of the bottle as JerC remembers some discrepancies from previous samples. At any rate, It poured a lovely dark almost roasted coffee brown with a moderate head. There was a very malty aroma with just the finest hint of chocolate coming through at the end. I was very disappointed in the degree to which the alcohol cut through the beer though. I got a faint hint of anise floating around somewhere in the background but it almost tasted like someone had spilled cheap vodka in my beer. I can see that there is an incredible beer hiding in there and I am more than willing to chalk it up to a spurious sample and perhaps even some palate shock but I was very disappointed with m firs (and hopefully not last) meeting with Westy..

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Nesta13 (205) - AUSTRALIA - APR 23, 2008
Dark brown body with an amber hue, thin light brown head. Aroma of yeast and old port wine. Spicey palate of dried fruit, quince, biscuit and caramel. Soft carbonation. Hard to rate objectively due to the hype, but this is easily in my top few - an exciting drinking experience.

armando629 (2455) - Budapest, HUNGARY - APR 22, 2008
UPDATED: JUN 13, 2008 Smooth, mild, not an agressive beer with a beautiful dark brown appearance, a top quality, complex aroma and flavour of the dark ales with coffe, chocolate, some tobacco and raisins. Complete mouthfeel. Wonderful harmony( with god?) But what a photo? The beer hasnít got any labels!!! So, i have a crate of this, i have a big mercy:) You must call the beer-phone to catch some Westvleteren, you can find it at the webpage!!! Good luck!