overall
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3201   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.44   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
nolankowal (931) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - JUL 4, 2006
Bottle provided by xproudfoot, many thanks again Chris! Pours a rusty-brown color with a somewhat fizzy light tan head that dissapates to a nice film over the top. Aroma of raisin, alcohol, bread perhaps a bit of banana. The flovor get a good deal of the raisin, alchohol, clove, and perhaps some cherry, chocolate. It’s very dark and boozey, like a refined dessert where the sweetness is limited and balanced. It still has a nice light fruity quality over the tounge with a good punch of booze in the middle with a fairly sweet finish. Despite its large amount of carbonation, it is still quite smooth throughout the whole experience. It may not have the biggest flavors or original flavors, I think this one is all about balance and just making one damn fine beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
thebaldwizard (1205) - Ohio, USA - JUL 3, 2006
UPDATED: FEB 3, 2007 "I was a little let down after all the build up and the difficulty in obtaining this beer. The Westy 12 poured a very nice dark brown color with a minimal head. The aroma was of dark fruits and herbs. The mouthfeel is spot on and definitely the best part of the beer. The tastes were dark and interesting. I got a good bite when it first hit my mouth that gave way to a very strong herbal taste(almost tobacco). The finish was sweeter and smooth. It had some of that herbal aftertaste as well. I thought this was a great belgian, but I honestly would prefer St. Bernardus 12 or Rochefort 8. "

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
biggcb (464) - Harleysville, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 3, 2006
Bottle. This completes my Westvleteren threesome. This is also my 200th rating. Again, poured ever so gently into my new Westy glass. Color is a very dark and opaque brown. Thin tan head. Aroma is malty with a bit of fruity sweetness (dark fruits & grapes). Flavor consists mostly of maslt, fruits, maybe a little vanilla and some alcohol. Very nice mouthfeel. Very rich. Complex, but perhaps not to the degree I had expected. I may be scoffed at, but I liked the 8 better. I am very happy I was able to finally try this one, but given the insane price I paid for it, I do not see me trying this one again anytime soon.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
dkoonce (911) - People’s Republic of Athens, Ohio, USA - JUL 2, 2006
From the Pintelier in Groningin, NL. Simply outstanding. Pours dark brown, with a dark thick head. The aroma is of apples and raisins. The flavor is rich and very smooth. You can barely tell the alcohol is there until you finish teh bottle. This is the best beer I’ve had

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
00cobraR (1103) - Greensboro, North Carolina, USA - JUL 1, 2006
Pours a dark brown color with a off white head. Flavor was malty and sweet. Alcohol was very present. A little intense. Aside from that this is a wonderful brew. Something I would love to have again.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
hellomynameis (874) - Mayer, Minnesota, USA - JUL 1, 2006
It’s hard to not echo every one elses rating of this beer... It poured a brown colour that was completly opaque. The head was surprisingly white; large and fizzy but setteling into a ring around the edge. This was very wine like for me, grapes mostly, but with small hints of other dark fruits. There was quite a bit of alcohol present in this that became more dominating as it warmed from the mid 50’s to about 70 degrees F. Surprisingly, this wasn’t as complex as I suspected, but was very rich in flavour and body. It was a fullfilling experiance and quite tasty. However, I tend to prefer deep complex stouts to this. Hopefully I’ll have rated it well, giving it marks where it deserves, because it is a fantastic beer, without dining it too much for my personal preferances.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
beastiefan2k (2499) - Emerald City (formely NYC & KS), Washington, USA - JUL 1, 2006
Bottle thanks to tever. this bottle took a long journey, from Belgium to Cali and from Cali to NY in a trade. Cellared it for 2 weeks and fridged it for about 2 hours. Poured into a small glass Budum coffee cup, split three ways. Pours murky brown with a small head. Cannot see through the beer. Aroma is very present. I get a grape aroma behind the sweetness and malt. Same in taste. Overall, its a good beer but ’divine’ or ’greatest beer in the world’ I don’t think so. This did cause me to break out the Rochefort 10 in comparision, which I enjoy more.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
ross (2100) - weddington, North Carolina, USA - JUN 30, 2006
UPDATED: OCT 25, 2006 So tonight, the first beer had to be this, so the palate would be clean, and we would be ready for it. Something I have wanted to drink for a very long time. Pours out brown with a nice tan head. Taste is sweet, and fruity, almost like drinking a dark cherry. Alcohol is a little strong, to me at least. I believe this is one that I need to let sit for a long time. As the 765 other people have said before me, this is a great beer, worth the hype, and very worthy of its score on the multiple beer sites that are on the internet.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
ABUSEDGOAT (2416) - California, USA - JUN 29, 2006
UPDATED: FEB 16, 2007 http://media.putfile.com/westy-12 character limit character limit character limit character limit character limit character limit character limit character limit character limit

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
OneMore (2) - New York, New York, USA - JUN 26, 2006 does not count
2006 bottle. My mother in law brought this back from a recent trip to Belgium. The beer poured a milk chocolate color with very little head. The beer was medium bodied, lighter than I expected. The taste was rich and complex. Yet, it was also quite smooth and drinkable. No criticisms here, this is an amazing brew. I don’t know if it’s the best, but I can’t think of one I like better.