overall
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3134   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.44   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Siroy (220) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - JAN 31, 2006
UPDATED: FEB 1, 2006 For my 100th rating on RB, Iíve chose the emblematic Westy for the icon it represents. Considered by RBeerians aggregated opinions as being the best beer in the world.. to my experience, either Iíve not developed my taste enough and Iím no worthy of this beer or my expectations were simply unrealistic. Also, it could be because this beer itís a little overrated being the best of the hardest world-renowned Trappist beers to get.
Now why? Good question. I admit that the dark burgundy brown color with that fluffy/bubbly tan head, those very nice laces, hunks of yeast make it a definite 5 appearance: no question there. That extremely complex fruity nose going to an array of deep/rich fruits.. cherry, prunes, pears ..alcohol esters.. caramelized malts surrounded by a deep damp cellar impression, confirmed in the mouth while being rich, round, and long..

A very good beer but I havenít had that woahh-hiii (© 2005, Yowie) impression that I was expecting like when I had the Cantillon gueuze 1996, the Speciaal Brouwsel 20.. or even the Orval and the Avec les bons voeux.. Odd. Might be because I had this beer alone at my place while I had most of the beers I rated so far with such nice people, intensifying the experience of every beer.. People like Rastacouere, MartinT, tiggmtl, Olivier_MTL and ClakVV among others that I donít have the chance to see as often.
I have a few left and Iíll give this beer another try..

<rerate from another bottle>

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
GG (2039) - NorCal, California, USA - JAN 31, 2006
While having a tasting with an old friend, he brought this one out from his stash of world renowned beers. We split this one and I found myself overcome with the complexity of this quad. The monks of St. Sixtus make a wonderful product that should be shared with the world. Thereís nothing I could say that hasnít already been stated. Well deserving of the noteriety. Something that actually lives up to the hype.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
NosirIwont (1962) - Aalborg Vestby, DENMARK - JAN 30, 2006
Bottle. Pours clear amber brown with an off-white head. Aroma has rye, malt and yeast. Complex flavour; sweet and vinous with fruits and alcohol. Perfumy notes in the finish. Quite well-balanced. Great palate; soft with a perfect amount of carbonacid. A nice beer, but a bit overrated imho. 28-01-06.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Nightfall (1307) - Hamburg, GERMANY - JAN 28, 2006
UPDATED: JUN 11, 2009 This is probably the best beer I have ever tried (and very likely the best I will ever will). Everything is extremely well balanced. Fantastic tastes and aromas of fruit mostly plum. Great white head. A masterpiece !

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
fbennett (293) - Portland, Oregon, USA - JAN 23, 2006
This beer has been aged for about 2 years. The look of this beer pours a delicious dark ruby brown that leaves a quickly disappating tan head. Very little carbonation compared to the fresher one I had 2 years ago. The smell is of candied fruit, plum, peaches, golden raisins, bananas, cloves, and some slight essence of chocolate liqour. The complexity of this beer is the best Iíve ever come across. The taste of this beer just explodes with the sweet fruit and at first has a powerful vinos essences that subsides with warmth. This beer is one that should mellow even more with age but I actually prefered the fresher bottle I had about 2 years ago. As I let this beer warm up I began to taste even more of the honey and clove. Overall this is a great beer, I love things about the fresher version but I love the smoothness of this aged bottle.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
HenrikSoegaard (10530) - Randers, DENMARK - JAN 22, 2006
Bottle. Its a fantastic beer. The best so far. The reason it doesnīt get 5,0 is that the aroma could be a little more powerfull, and the head a bit more lasting . Otherwise this is the perfect beer. You eat it, more than you drink it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
cheeta (1181) - LangŚ, DENMARK - JAN 21, 2006
A beer with a large off-white head, good looking and fully lasting longevity. Sweet initial flavor. Very long duration. The beer has an unik tast.

turtleboy (1) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - JAN 18, 2006 does not count

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
beervana (781) - Libertyville, Illinois, USA - JAN 12, 2006
(01.01.06) 11.2 fl oz (330 mL) brown bottle purchased from Mike Miller of Delilahís, Chicago, IL. Bottle cap dated 27.04.02. Clear brown Belgium ale having a small diminishing white head. Soft carbonation. Toffee and dried fruit aromas. Medium-to-full bodied that starts dry with light sweet maltiness and toffee and dried fruit (raisins? Prunes?) flavors. Faint sour/tartness and throat burn. Finishes dry with light sour and malt aftertastes. A good dry Belgium Trappist ale. Though aware of its reputation as a ďgodĒ of beers, I tried not to allow the prior high ratings and expectations influence my rating of this beer. That being said, this is a good dry Belgium Trappist ale but vastly overrated by others. I also believe that the St. Bernadus Abt 12 and Rochefort 10 were better tasting and textured, relative to the Westy 12.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
schuimkroaat (415) - Leuven, BELGIUM - JAN 12, 2006
UPDATED: JUN 9, 2007 33 cl bottle from the shelf. Dark brown with an abundant, creamy, lacy head. Velvety aroma of malt, molasses, nuts, strawberries... Initially sweet and soft taste followed by an estery explosion in the back of the mouth and flowing into a lasting, pronounced bitter aftertaste. A little sticky body, moderate alcoholic finish. Great balance - robust yet elegant, rather sweet yet very bitter.