Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3463   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.44/5   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
thomahan (31) - DENMARK - JUL 17, 2007
Powerful, dark. malty with bread and a hint of roast, lots of alcohol. This is a superb beer, the only better in the style is Rochfort 10

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
sinkas (291) - Perth/Fremantle, AUSTRALIA - JUL 16, 2007
Bottle,shared, thanks to a fellow rater. Deep rich brown colour, with thick off white head. Aromas of dark fruits, also definite pear adn rumminess. Flavour too complex to easily deconstruct, but with a smoothness and balance not tasted before. Magnificent.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
bfeldmann (1049) - Wilmington, Delaware, USA - JUL 15, 2007
What a night had along side of Roche 10 and St. B 12. Thanks fozapd for this one. Poured a brown color with small head which didnít last long. Aroma was caramel spices and come alcohol. Flavor was much the same had a scotch like flavor in there as well. It was good and thanks fozapd i think the Roche 10 is better over all.

AskForJenny (1051) - Ontario, New York, USA - JUL 13, 2007
0.33l - 26.05 It took some doing, but I finally dug it up. Canít read the year on the cap. Dark black/red color. Nice sized tan head of tight bubbles. Poured with a fizzy vigor into a wetted glass, and the head slowly turned creamy. Earthy, candied sugar notes on nose, with autumn leaves and alcohol in the back ground. First impression on palate is mint followed by a spicy oregano. There is a an stringent rush at the end. Would drink more if it was easier to get.

ehhdayton (1188) - USA - JUL 13, 2007
A truly remarkable beer and the best I have ever tried. The color is a rich reddish amber-brown with a thick, creamy, rocky, tight-nit, beige head. Head duration is nearly fully lasting with Belgian lacing. Malt is the dominate aroma with bread, toffee, and a hint of roast. In the background are sublte hints of orange, pear, cherries, dates, a touch of smoke, and a bit yeasty. The flavor is a symphony of tastes. Sweet malt greets the palate but is tempered with the hop bitterness and a slight touch of fruit. The finish leaves a hovering of maltiness on the palate that gently fades away. I highly recommend that everyone try this at least once. Without a doubt this is the best and worth the wait until I got to my 1000 rating.

jacobwennbom (357) - Uppsala, SWEDEN - JUL 12, 2007
Dark, unclear with thin off white head. Sweet, very full and loads of complex fruit and dark berries. The alcohol provides a warming sensation and as you all know this is a superb beer. However, I did expect to be even more overwhelmed than I was. Almost lives up to the hype (I mean, itís great but Iíve had other beers just as great before).

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
KingpinIPA (841) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - JUL 9, 2007
Dark brown color. Smell of malt, rasins, hints of coco, prunes, spice, wood and alcolhol. Tastes the same but minus the chocolate. Alcohol is more present in the taste. Great beer but I cant beleive its rated so high. Thanks Brewblackhole!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Dezzilu (226) - Whitmore Lake, Michigan, USA - JUL 9, 2007
So, to be honest, I have sat at 99 beers rated for the last three weeks almost entirely in part because I havenít known which beer I could, should, or would rate for my historic 100th beer. As trivial as this may sound, it has played on my mind quite a bit. First off I thought, pick the beer that you first drank and loved as a teenager. Then I proceeded to, pick the most Canadian beer (me being Canadian and all). Then I moved to the thinking, "this is ridiculous, pick any beer you get your hands". Then, nothing. As such, I have been sitting on the verge of the 100 beer club since early June (almost 1 month ago). Enter my backyard neighbour, a fun-loving American chap with a Belgian wife, whom I just got to know over the last few weeks when we have shared a couple of wheat beers, and a couple of whites. Well, low and behold to my shocking surprise, Jim pipes up and tells me that he has 2 bottles of Westvleteren 12 sitting at his apartment waiting for a special occasion. I told him, "Jim, I am told the day you open a Westvleteren 12 is the special occasion. Everything else is trivial". Blah, blah, blah, the sappy story ends with Jim cracking open the beers and passing me the glass. The rest is history, just as people describe. This is truly the most unbelievable beer I have ever tasted, and makes me want to re-rate the last 99 beers and knock them down a point or two. How in the names of all things holy did these monks pack 10.2% alcohol into this beer? If you are lucky enough to drink it, then you will know what I am talking about. Jim, my neighbour and friend, bottoms up. You the man. Cheers.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
tfraser01 (1) - USA - JUL 9, 2007 does not count
I recently visited the abbey in Belgium... and got to have many of these served straight from the source. The beer was amazing the smell of cider, refreshing taste and aroma with no after taste.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Guerde (1244) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - JUL 7, 2007
(bottle, thanks Olso!) Poured a dark plum color with a small white head. Aroma was sweet, and smelled like honey butter spread over toast. The flavor contained honey sweetness and no bitterness at all. The mouthfeel of this beer was amazing, and the finish was remarkably smooth. Just a great beer.