overall
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3350   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.44   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

GreatLibations (1854) - Last Supper, Arizona, USA - JAN 11, 2007
UPDATED: DEC 5, 2007 My bottle stated 11.2 ABV. Pours dark tawny mahogany w/ a medium sized semi creamy tan froth. Froth is spattered w/ tiny bubbles and reduces slowly to a fine lace and a dusty canopy. Aromas of bright, dusty, dried dark fruits w/ slight tart cherry (jolly rancher). Medium nectar w/ ample residual effers creats a creamy, velvety texture. I think the palate texture of this brew is what sets it apart. Itís amazing that an ale can feel like that. Flavors are bold w/ a mild to moderate sweetness that is quickly balanced by a peach pit bittering componant. My first sip was pure bakers cocoa. Dark, bitter and chocolatey. Very nice! There is a defined alcohol presence in the flavor profile that really kicks in on the finish. This is not offensive to me at all. Dried dark fruits like black cherry, plumb, w/ slight fig and raisons. Meaty tropshire like a well marbled Porter House steak and leather. Other nuances of chewing tobacco and dark cakebread, bakers cocoa, molasses, red grapes w/ the seeds, and caramel apple. The Cocoa lasts throughout the whole sip to the finish. This is a very warming brew. I can feel my blood temp rising in my face about my ears. The finish is bittered better than moderate with that huge alcohol goinsí onsí. Finishes w/ velety hops that linger well past midnight. Overall: this is a complex brew worthy of its reputation.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
Jmichael (640) - Asheville, North Carolina, USA - JAN 8, 2007
UPDATED: JAN 9, 2007 Bottle. Poured into a Tulip. I am lucky to have had this beer on a few occasions. My first was in Amsterdam at a bar called Gollum. It cost 12 euros, and of course was worth it. My brother drove to the abby and scored two crates of this so I now have 10 myself that I am aging. This beer is wonderful. STYLE, TASTE, AROMA, APPEARANCE, are all tops. What I like most about the beer is its mystique and its availability. You can find it, but it ainít easy. For those who canít find it get St. Bernardus, the taste is similiar enouph. And remember always pour into a Tulip....Cheers.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
JMFG (1587) - Florida, USA - JAN 4, 2007
UPDATED: APR 26, 2007 Courtesy boboski. Bottle from 2002. Poured thickly into a trappist glass with an amalgam of various dark ruby-brown colors topped with a slow moving thin off-white head. Aroma is apricot, plum, and a variety of spice notes that change by the minute. A wonderful malt base aroma compliments along with the yeast. The mouthfeel is absolutely perfect - medium in body with enough carbonation to further enhance the sensory intake of aroma and taste. The taste is spicy and warm, has clove and fruit tastes that develop as it warms and the finish has a slight tart suggestion that lingers along with the warmth. The alcohol presence is detectable only a bit after you sip. Once I had a Rochefort 10, I somehow doubted that a Westy 12 could be better, but it is. As a rater, you donít really know what the limits of aroma, taste, etc. are unitl theyíre surpassed, and this one did for me in a couple categories. Much thanks to boboski and his borderline warped sense of generosity.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
OleR (4804) - Oslo, NORWAY - JAN 3, 2007
UPDATED: MAY 18, 2007 Rating # 200. Two bottles from my cellar, one for my love and one for me, to celebrate my fiftieth birthday. These two westies are young of age, obtained this summer with only six months of aging. Yellow cap says ď30.08.09Ē. Beautiful appearance; Sparkling and lively, dark mahogny body with a glimse of red. Mostly lasting fingerthick head with a light tan. Enjoyed lightly chilled in trappist glass. Intense and complex aroma. Starts yeasty with notes of almond and marzipan. Continues with layers of all kind of fruits over a malty base. Taste of this sample is surprisingly earthy and yeasty, still very complex and soft, loaded with dark fruits (raisins, prunes, dates), delicate dark malts, and notes of chocolate, vanilla and ripe banana. Alcohol is well masked, only a pleasant heath in the mouth. Full-bodied with a light hopbitter finish. A truly great beer.

nigos (631) - Ipswich, Suffolk, ENGLAND - JAN 2, 2007
Is this the greatest beer in the world? Approaching a beer with such a reputation is not easy and it is hard to remain completelyl objective about rating it.... But here goes... I have had this in my house for over a year but some how resisted the temptation. Served in the Duvel glass. Pours with a medium sized light brown head that dissapates quite fast, on top of the deep cloudy dark bronze hue. Lots of floatersin the glass that ease their way down to the bottom of the glass. Pronounces orangey nose with sweet honey hints. Massively complex taste. Impossible for a amateur like me to distinguish all of the flavour. Orange and pear fruits with hints of cognac and a sweet toffee like finish. This is beer heaven. Certainly one of the best beers I have ever had. If not the best. Although with at the time of tasting this having just under 600 ratings I donít feel qualified enough to say whether it is the best. A master piece though. My advice. Drink it all! Even the floaters

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
alfmaester (8) - godalming, ENGLAND - DEC 31, 2006 does not count
UPDATED: JAN 11, 2007 I have allways wanted to taste this famous Westvleteren Abt 12. Extreamly rich, dark and cloudy. Salty, and well-balanced. Also with a very malty flavour. leaves a nice lacing. Overall a pretty great beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
RCL (2030) - Waltham, Massachusetts, USA - DEC 30, 2006
Dark, rich copper color with a creamy beige head. Rich flavor to match. So smooth and delicious, I canít quite give it a perfect score, but itís damn close.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
PilsnerPeter (3029) - Flushing, New York, USA - DEC 29, 2006
UPDATED: FEB 10, 2007 Finally got around to sampling the famous Westvleteren Abt 12. Pours a nice amber/auburn color with thick tan head and leaves a nice lacing. The aroma is sweet toffee, creamy buttery malts, figs and brown sugar. The flavor is beautiful. Very warming with some alcohol evident. Buttery maltyness and a creamy sweetness. Huge toffeeish notes, a sweet roasty almond character, sweet pastry doughyness, some spicyness evident of cloves and peppery alcohol warmth. Caramel undertones and a warming dry finish. In short itís perfectly balanced, creamy, buttery and delicious. However, itís not my #1 in the world. I think that there is such a thing as supply and demand. Have a description like "only a small part of their production going very far into the world" and youíre bound to be extremely highly rated. But I canít deny that itís quality and still a great ale.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
IrishBoy (3926) - Bakersfield, California, USA - DEC 25, 2006
UPDATED: DEC 31, 2014 Current production Bottle; Nose of caramel, brown sugar, yeast, and raisins, kind of like my Mom?s raisin pie; very complex! Hazy dark brown with a huge tan head that laces the glass thickly as it slowly recedes; three quarters of an inch left out of an inch and a half after five minutes. Flavor is mildly tart, with notes of sugary sweetness, spiciness, and raisins. The medium body finishes with tartness and a little alcohol warmth! Rerate 72607!984 Bottle 3/9/07 Flavor seems very similiar but I don not note any tartness; lots of dark fruits and caramel in the flavor and some alcohol in the nose, which lasts mildly to the finish. Even after 23 years, still a very good beer 9/3/9/418 or 4.3 but crbonation is very small! 12/31/2014 Second of the two 1984 bottles I possessed for the past 8 years. Nose is prunes, caramelized sugar, and a light note I attribute to oxidation but nothing major. Clear medium brown with no carbonation. Flavor is lightly sweet and darkly fruity with only very light oxidation notes and a very light hint of tobacco in the finish. Nothing spectacular but a good stale bread flavor from the thin body. I would rate this 7/2/7/3/14 3.4 Quite an adventure drinking fresh and older Westy bottles (including the 6) over the 9 years Iíve been on Ratebeer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Sombeast (151) - Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA - DEC 24, 2006
Paper notes from the Falls Tasting / 2006 YeHA!. Bottle dated 07-2001. Many thanks to Capín Cougar for making sure I had the opportunity to sample both this and the Westy 8!. Mild sour malty aroma. Deep cloudy brown color. Long dry malty flavor, pefectly blended. No alcohol evident. I only wish I had sampled this far ealier in the evening. Peace brother!