overall
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3228   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.44   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
dkoonce (911) - Peopleís Republic of Athens, Ohio, USA - JUL 2, 2006
From the Pintelier in Groningin, NL. Simply outstanding. Pours dark brown, with a dark thick head. The aroma is of apples and raisins. The flavor is rich and very smooth. You can barely tell the alcohol is there until you finish teh bottle. This is the best beer Iíve had

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
00cobraR (1103) - Greensboro, North Carolina, USA - JUL 1, 2006
Pours a dark brown color with a off white head. Flavor was malty and sweet. Alcohol was very present. A little intense. Aside from that this is a wonderful brew. Something I would love to have again.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
hellomynameis (874) - Mayer, Minnesota, USA - JUL 1, 2006
Itís hard to not echo every one elses rating of this beer... It poured a brown colour that was completly opaque. The head was surprisingly white; large and fizzy but setteling into a ring around the edge. This was very wine like for me, grapes mostly, but with small hints of other dark fruits. There was quite a bit of alcohol present in this that became more dominating as it warmed from the mid 50ís to about 70 degrees F. Surprisingly, this wasnít as complex as I suspected, but was very rich in flavour and body. It was a fullfilling experiance and quite tasty. However, I tend to prefer deep complex stouts to this. Hopefully Iíll have rated it well, giving it marks where it deserves, because it is a fantastic beer, without dining it too much for my personal preferances.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
beastiefan2k (2526) - Emerald City (formely NYC & KS), Washington, USA - JUL 1, 2006
Bottle thanks to tever. this bottle took a long journey, from Belgium to Cali and from Cali to NY in a trade. Cellared it for 2 weeks and fridged it for about 2 hours. Poured into a small glass Budum coffee cup, split three ways. Pours murky brown with a small head. Cannot see through the beer. Aroma is very present. I get a grape aroma behind the sweetness and malt. Same in taste. Overall, its a good beer but ídivineí or ígreatest beer in the worldí I donít think so. This did cause me to break out the Rochefort 10 in comparision, which I enjoy more.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
ross (2100) - weddington, North Carolina, USA - JUN 30, 2006
UPDATED: OCT 25, 2006 So tonight, the first beer had to be this, so the palate would be clean, and we would be ready for it. Something I have wanted to drink for a very long time. Pours out brown with a nice tan head. Taste is sweet, and fruity, almost like drinking a dark cherry. Alcohol is a little strong, to me at least. I believe this is one that I need to let sit for a long time. As the 765 other people have said before me, this is a great beer, worth the hype, and very worthy of its score on the multiple beer sites that are on the internet.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
ABUSEDGOAT (2416) - California, USA - JUN 29, 2006
UPDATED: FEB 16, 2007 http://media.putfile.com/westy-12 character limit character limit character limit character limit character limit character limit character limit character limit character limit

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
OneMore (2) - New York, New York, USA - JUN 26, 2006 does not count
2006 bottle. My mother in law brought this back from a recent trip to Belgium. The beer poured a milk chocolate color with very little head. The beer was medium bodied, lighter than I expected. The taste was rich and complex. Yet, it was also quite smooth and drinkable. No criticisms here, this is an amazing brew. I donít know if itís the best, but I canít think of one I like better.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
danniem (1) - BELGIUM - JUN 26, 2006 does not count
This is by far the most divine beer I have ever tasted; you immediately taste its incredible richness and it goes in exceptionally smoothly ("seems to assimilate with the body without effort" is perhaps the best way to describe it); wait for a while after drinking before you give comments because you will be surprised by itís aftertaste. Donít drink too many in one evening though because of itís high % of alcohol!

chimaybier (50) - Redding, California, USA - JUN 23, 2006
I had this beer 7 years ago when my best friend brought back a 6-pack when he went to Belgium as part of his European honeymoon with his new wife. I had always read about how decadent this creation from GOD was, but when I actually tasted it, I knew that the Monks of Westvleteren and their Monastery is divinely blessed! Unfortunately, I have not had it since... "This do, as often as you drink it, do it in remembrance of Me." (1 Corinthians 11:25)

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
adrian910ss (2371) - philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 21, 2006
2004 bottle. Pours a dark sandy unfiltered brown color with a thick beige head that slowly fades away. Aroma is of fresh brown sugar, mollasses, vanilla, raisins,grapes,figs,nuts and a hint of malt. Taste is a very complex combination of brown sugar,figs,grapes,raisins,nuts, vanilla and sweet roasted malt. Alcohol is present pleasantly as it goes down. Slightly carbonated as well. Very unique in both aroma and taste and I can see why this beer is rated very highly. Excellent beer, but not the best according to my tastes. A top 5 nevertheless.