overall
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3409   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.44   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
ukoolaid (576) - Amherst, Massachusetts, USA - APR 6, 2007
UPDATED: APR 1, 2011 2 year old bottle. I just pulled out my written rating for this one. Pours a cloudy deep brown with notes of red. The head is white, fluffy and uneven. Aroma is very full, with alcohol, dark malts, and a little bit of smoke/roast. There are a million tastes in here. Mostly dark fruits like plum and raisins. Decent balance of hops. Changes as it warms. Iíve got to get a hold of another one so I can try it unaged.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
Brix (647) - DENMARK - APR 5, 2007
UPDATED: APR 18, 2008 Tasted 2007-03-25. Ĺ year old bottle, 33 cl. Dark red - clear, but with lotsa floties. Aroma of bananas, caramel, burned sugar and a hint of metal. Taste is mostly burned sugar, but also a little alcohol. As it warms up, it gaines complexity. Loooong aftertaste! I like this one better after a few years of cellaring. I havenít rated an old version yet, but I think it would bring the score up to about 4.6. "Iíll be back!" ---- Rerate: 1,5 years old - same batch; much more smooth and mellow. Banana cake with honney, the GF says! Raised the overall score to 20.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Clansman (5) - Alleroed, DENMARK - APR 4, 2007 does not count
A very good and complex trappist, but a bit overrated because its hard to come by and quite pricy.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
TURDFERGUSON (4024) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - MAR 31, 2007
Thought about waiting, but what time is better than now! Bottle from Shrubber85. Thanks so much Roger! Best by 26 04 08. I think this at least a couple years old. Pour is dark brown with small bubbled off-white head. Very nice lacing throughout. Aroma is very sweet and figgy, reminiscent of the Stille Nacht the first I had it. Not quite as complex as I expected. Flavor is similar to aroma with very sweet dark fruits highlighting the campaign. I can honestly say that I have not had a beer quite like this before, however it is not my favorite beer in the world either. Didnt taste any chocolate, surprisingly. Alcohol incredibly well hidden. For what it delivers, this is very smooth and tasty, but I think I enjoyed the Westy 8 more overall.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
wajacobs (26) - USA - MAR 30, 2007
Pours dark with a thin tan head, lacing is minimal but the carbonation level is on the high side. Heather says this is GOOD! I agree!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
JB175 (1665) - Bucks County, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 28, 2007
UPDATED: MAR 16, 2009 500th Rating - 2006 bottle. Dark brown pour with a large tan/off-white Wonderful aroma with lots of quality yeast, dark fruits, chocolate. Taste is a really great mix of malty flavors that climb slowly up the tongue - rich grains, sweet chocolates, cherries and ripe figs - amazing, and this is still a very young Westy. Really worth all the trouble if you can get it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
jason (1737) - Easton, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 19, 2007
#700, Bottle - cap:30.08.09 Big thanks to Walt for sending this my way, good karma will come to you. Popped open and a loud phhssss! sound came out. I picked it up to smell and got a wiff of plum candy seeping out. Poured a clear brown head with a nice body already forming as it was poured. Lots of legs, formed a nice star on top. Aroma: black plums, currants, chocolate, sligh cherry and raisin - Fantastic aroma. First taste: Very Flavorfull. Nice carbonation with plums and cherry being present. Pretty sweet but not overly sweet. Very smooth, very balanced. The alcohol is barely noticable - I had to stop myself from chugging it, thats how good it tastes. Sweet aftertaste. The flavor seemed to dance on my tongue. I could easily drink this everyday.

Carl99Fan (187) - Suwanee, Georgia, USA - MAR 17, 2007
I may have ruined my ability to rate beers effectively by tasting this so early in my "beer career." Wonderful flavor, didnít want to swallow. Beautiful color and head. Speechless upon tasting...felt the heavens open as I imbibed this nectar of the gods. If you can get your hands on it...you wonít be sorry. Everything else will now taste like Budweiser.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
VikingHammer (506) - Lynnfield, Massachusetts, USA - MAR 16, 2007
UPDATED: DEC 30, 2007 100th Rating was into a Westvleteren chalice. Dark, Dark Reddish brown with a huge off white head. Head seem to last for ever with awesome lacing. Notes of dark fruits and light alcohol in the aroma. Chocolate, Dark fruits, spices, some citrus, and a hint of caramel. Light carbonation that coats the mouth with a velvet smooth finish. Well worth the wait. Compares to Rochefort 10 and St Bernardus 12 but I have to give it a point higher because of the anticipation.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
HDane (82) - Chesapeake, Virginia, USA - MAR 15, 2007
UPDATED: APR 22, 2008 Bottle shared with gputty. Pours a very dark,coppery red with an off-white head. Nose is very complex, with nuts, alcohol, tobacco, yeast. Flavor is doughy, bread, grapes, nuts, raisins, dark fruits - just tons and tons of activity. Definitely does not disappoint and gets better with age.