overall
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3261   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.44   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
buckybeer (666) - Eau Claire, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 17, 2006
UPDATED: DEC 12, 2006 My 100th rating!!! The Rochefort 10 was my first and I had to make sure my 100th was something special. It does not get more special than this. Thank you to Belgianshop.com for my 4 bottles of liquid gold. Was it expensive? Hell yes! Was it worth it HEEELLLL yes!!!! Everything is perfect in this. Pours deep brown with a nice sized fluffy head. Great lacing patterns. The aroma and taste is a wonderful toffee, fermented fruit, yeast and spices. Way to hard to break down completly. All I know is that I am in a state of euphorbia. Is it to late for me to become a monk?

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 19/20
NoiZe (2324) - Amersfoort, NETHERLANDS - AUG 15, 2006
Finally! Iíve had my first Westvleteren Abt 12. Had it at the Hertog Jan Proeverij.<!-- BR --> Dark brown coloured brew. Very nice aroma, yeast, toffee, licorice? Itís a fresh, fruity and malty beer. Chocolate malts maybe? Overall very complex, but also balanced. Very nice, itís truely a good beer.

Beerdedone (2785) - Croydon, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 14, 2006
Bottle sampled from Stegosaurus through Belgianshop.com. Pours dark with a tan head. Amazing aroma and flavor fruit, yeast, citrus, alcohol, spices, oak, vanilla, the list goes on and on as flavors change. The greatest beer to ever pass through these lips, Thanks Stegosaurus.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
labologist (56) - Disley, Cheshire, ENGLAND - AUG 14, 2006
The best Trappist beer I have ever tasted. A very complex dark, malty, fruity beer with floral notes.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
beermouth (435) - Langeskov, DENMARK - AUG 10, 2006
This is an extremely complex and balanced beer. Must be the best beer I have ever tried, at time being.

kreepindeth (404) - Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA - AUG 9, 2006
UPDATED: FEB 23, 2007 I went all the way to the abbey in Belgium to get this beer...and it was well worth it. Hands down the best trappist, the others donít even compare. Best beer ever? Maybe, but Iím not willing to make that claim just yet... Aroma: Yeast, Toast, Prunes, Raisons Appearance: beautiful onyx black with a frothy white head. Flavor: Lots! Licorice, Vanilla, Chocolate, yeast, toasted bread, raisins RE-RATE: I tried an 8 month old bottle that I brought back from Belgium, this beer is noticeably better! I think I can now definitively say that this is probably the best beer ever! All kinds of flavors, gingerbread, biscuits, pie crust, prunes, nutmeg...simply amazing. Mouthfeel is so "soft" and gentle, lets you take in all the subtle flavors.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
cab (866) - DENMARK - AUG 9, 2006
Wordīs vill never be able to give this beer the credit it is due for, buy it and enjoy it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
beerBB (132) - Harleysville, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 8, 2006
Again thanks to my brother Chris for a chance to try this beer. pours dark brown w/ small tan head. Malty aroma w/ some fruity aromas as well. very complex flavor with malt dominating. fruit, vanilla also apparent. I am very happy to have tried this beer but am not sure it quite lives up to its unbeleivable hype. great beer but best?? I hope to try it again now that I can be past the hpye. Again, thanks Chris

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
cphbeerking (154) - KÝbenhavn K, DENMARK - AUG 7, 2006
RIcher, sweeter, more fulfilling than 8, I find it hard to dream up faults with this impeccable brew. Dominated by a most satisfying blend of dark dried fruits and capped with a divine yeasty character, this is of the true world classics in beer. Hard to get, yet amazingly cheap considering that this is one of the bottles to stand at the pinnacle of the art that is beer. If similar words were spoken of a bottle of wine, you could expect to be forking out thousands of dollars. Praise the lord for the relative non-snootiness of the beer world!

frankR (145) - Davis, California, USA - AUG 4, 2006
Mental tasting notes from 1 year ago. This is majestic! Complexity define. A plethora of flavors. Black licorice, rye bread, dried fruit, cloves. The names of foods used in the adjective context can go on ad infinitum! Certainly has the scope to live up to the fame as “The best beer in the world”. But at $15/btl and the long drive required to procure this, it might be quite awhile before this beer and I come across each other again.