overall
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3260   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.44   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
holdenn (2083) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - AUG 2, 2006
UPDATED: JAN 22, 2007 Blind Quad 07 tasting 330 ml bottle from xnoxhatex. Very malty aroma, its light especially when held next to Rochefort 10. Grain, toasted chocolate toffee, vanilla, prunes, rasins, its definitely complex but I have to stick my nose in their a little to really get it. Murky rasin brown in color, average off white head with lasting lacing. Lightly sweet in flavor and finish, candi sugar, rasins, plums, cherries, oak, and the warmth of alcohol. Medium bodied, creamy and fizzy with some nice undertones in the flavor. This unanimously took second place in the the tastings, beat out by Rochefort 10. -------- Thanks to xnohatex for the sample straight from belgium bottled only about a month ago. Pours dark with a small off white head. The aromas are very nicely balanced like everything else in this beer: plums, currants, raisins, brown sugar and dough. At the first sip iím struck: suprisingly medium to light body but a crazy amount of fizziness over the whole tongue. The longer I hold it in my mouth, it almost becomes numb with the carbonation. Drewbeerme described it as probably what it would be like to taste a little finger-lick of cocaine, i agreed. Flavors followed with successive sips: raisins, toffee, carmel, cinamon, oak, vanilla, clove, and alcohol all balanced so well (maybe even too balanced). as the beer warmed it seemed to turn sweeter and the aromas and flavors turned more to chocolate and almond. After a few sips of this i was suprised to feel heady very quickly. This isnít a crazy or intense beer, dont expect that, but it is (possibly) the most balanced beer in the world. 4.7

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
WeeHeavySD (3359) - San Diego (Hillcrest), Oregon, USA - JUL 31, 2006
UPDATED: FEB 4, 2007 Re-rate. Beer 9 of Oíbrienís Trappist Tasting 2/3/07. 03 bottle, consumed relatively sober, in comparison to the first time I had this brew. Pours light brown with a thin nothing head. The aroma was sweet full bodied, very very fragrant. The taste was ful bodied with a sweet punch, and very nice feeling on the palate, a real joy to drink. Now I rated this a 5 before, but I really donít think it deserves it, this is a great beer, even better when it warms up, but is it worth the golden 5? I donít think so. After searching Belgium long and hard I finally had this beer in Copenhagen Denmark, at Olbaren, and I was extremely thankful for being able to drink this wonderful brew, I canít say enough about it, I only wish I was able to drink it when I was less drunk, and it might have been better if I hadnít had an oak aged yeti before hand, but this beer is a must try for anyone who considers themselves a beer geek.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
alafito (334) - tijuana, MEXICO - JUL 30, 2006
Thanks to Drewbeerme for this almost perfect beer! Wow, my hats off to this wonderfull creation. I thought it was going to be overated, but this ones definatly deserves first place. The aroma was nice but it was a little hard to notice it thats the only point i deducted. Every thing else is pure bliss, the perfect amount of sweetness, honey, strawberies, a hint of orange lots of oak in the background, cloves, pepper, sweet malts, cinamon, raspberries and some yeast tones, the palate is so smooth and velvety, you hardly notice the alcohol until you finish it, and then your too happy to care... I meen this brew deserves its own book to describe it. And i swear to you im not being mislead by its hype! The Rochefort 10 should be far behinde because it is much lighter in flavor and it has a slightly vegetable finish to it. This has absoluty no bad flavor or finish and its full flavored and full bodied mahogany liquid heaven!

lgklotet (432) - Stockholm, SWEDEN - JUL 30, 2006
Sampled at In de Vrede. 100th rating. Before actually trying this beer I read a lot of ratings. Some people believe it to be overrated and I was more than a little worried Iíd be disappointed. True enough, had I rated this blindly I couldnít say whether Iíd still given it a perfect score. Be that as it may, this is perfection in a glass. Every sip brings out new flavours and I worry about not fully appreciating this beer before my glass is empty. Happily, thereís now ten of these guys biding their time in my cellar.

Theaxe (3) - Zemst, BELGIUM - JUL 30, 2006 does not count
What else can I say about this beer that hasnt been said already? I have had the pleasure of trying this beer on two different occasions and it was excellent. The aroma is yeasty, doughy, a little eartiness to it. The flavors are dark fruits, sugars, and just the smallest bit of alcohol. I could hardly even taste the alcohol in it (ecspecially at 10%). My only downfall with this beer, while I dont even think it is a downfall...is that it is almost too balanced (if there is such a thing). I like a little more aggressive taste to my beers. Its almost hard to pick out the different levelsd of this beer because it is so complex and wonderfully balanced in every aspect.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Quixote18 (236) - Johnson City, Tennessee, USA - JUL 29, 2006
Tasted to celebrate my birthday and the birth of my daughter...all within the span of two weeks. What a beautiful beer! Deep, caramel brown body with a long-lasting, creamy head. The mellow malts and raisins slowly gave way to yeasty sweetness in the aroma. I found this to be bright and lively on the tongue and warming in the throat. The flavor was subtle and slightly tangy, with a tiny bit of barnyard in the finish?? All these elements combine to form a beer that is better than the sum of itís (already good) parts. A masterpiece of subtlety. Thank you Santa!!!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Magjayran (1379) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - JUL 27, 2006
Pours a gorgeous dark reddish brown color with a perfectly formed tan head that stays intact throughout the drinking experience. Aroma is full of dark fruit like plum along with a hint of citrus. Thereís quite a lot going on with the flavor in this one. Big fruity flavors mix with hints of almond and caramel. Tangy finish and warming alcohol. It may not be the best beer in the world but itís damn close. If only this bottle was a 750mL. I usually take some time drinking beers as big as this one but Iíve noticed that I went through the first half of this one very quickly before forcing myself to savor the rest.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
pfhyde (56) - Davis, California, USA - JUL 26, 2006
UPDATED: NOV 16, 2007 Smells of malts, faintly; has a peppery spice, like Westmalle Trippel, though less pronounced; very dark, rootbeer colored. Effervescence is standard for a Belgian Trappist ale. Maltiness approaching a German dopplebock. Everything is well balanced, reminding me of a smoothed out, more sophisticated version of Ayingerís Celebrator Doppelbock. Sadly, thereís no doubt in my mind that itís overrated, due to its scarcity. It cost me Ä12 for one, small bottle in Brussels. After talking with the owner of Beer Mania, where I purchased it, he showed me a receipt of someone who ordered two bottles from London. The total cost was Ä193. Ridiculous! I feel sorry for the beer enthusiasts who feel as if they have to sample this one to complete their repertoire, then overrate it based on the psychology of rarity.Yes, this is a great beer compared to the standard lot, but within the sphere of the best, it falls short.

brandonbrew (24) - Tennessee, USA - JUL 24, 2006
Whats more to say about this beer. Truly the worlds most perfect beer. It is however my second favorite beer to drink, my favorite to own though. Everything from A-Z is perfected when you drink this beer. Got mine off eBay, stop reading this now and go find this beer. YOU WILL NOT BE SORRY!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20