overall
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3593   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.43/5   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
hero27 (19) - Iowa, USA - DEC 21, 2007
11.2 oz humble bottle. Graciously given by Px2GrafX in BIF. Thanks so much for the opportunity to try this highly prized brew. No label, no fancy silk-screened etching. Just a plain, brown bottle with the famous yellow cap of this widely sought after beer. Simply tremendous flavor. So rich and complex..alcohol is subdued to a point that you can hardly notice it. So many others have described itís multitude of characteristics in near perfection, so Iíll spare you the details. Truly exceptional mouthfeel..silky smooth and delicious. As drinkable as any beer. This really leaves you wanting more..itís a good thing this stuff isnít widely available, because Iíd be happy but poor. But then again, if youíre buying Westy 12, youíre probably not too concerned about the price. This is the quintessential treat for any beer lover. Amazingly, it somehow lives up to the hype. Best beer in the world? Iím not sure, but it is certainly deserving of the title.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
icefires (6) - USA - DEC 19, 2007 does not count
Good stuff Maynard. Not the best though. Only rated first cuz itís so hard to get. Call the monks, make a reservation, go pick it up, agree not to sell it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Ratman197 (12686) - Arvada, Colorado, USA - DEC 16, 2007
Bottle (thanks to Davecooks) poured a clear copper brown with a small lingering ivory head. Aromas of pears, apples, figs, dates, carmel, toffee and light maple. Palate was light to medium bodied and smooth. Flavors of dates, carmel, toffee, apples and pears with a smooth lingering lightly sweet finish.

tomciccateri (1034) - Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA - DEC 15, 2007
Undated bottle poured a deep dark brown with no head and oaky aroma. Medium-full body, big malty flavor with a dry, complex flavor balance. Well-carbonated with a late candi sugar character. Complex and nice.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
brandonday (1) - Seattle, Washington, USA - DEC 11, 2007 does not count
Beautiful Beer! I just had it for the first time last night and could not have been happier! So many flavors that just come alive as the beer warms up. Highly recommended!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Roffe (10) - GŲteborg, SWEDEN - DEC 11, 2007
Westvleteren abd 12 is a legend but it was not was i was witing for, I was abit disappointed: it was very main stream. Nice head offwhite, nice flavor but not that spicey and it didnít explode in the palate as alot of other nice beers and the flavor didnít last as long as I hoped it would. Over all a okej beer, but itís legendery due to how hard it is to contain. Thanks Tomas M. in Gothenburg for the chans to taste the Abd 12.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Aarleks (409) - Sydney, AUSTRALIA - DEC 11, 2007
Bottle: Almost opaque dark brown wiith a creamy tan head. Cola and spicy sugars in the nose (touch of corn syrup, too). Exquisitely balanced creamy muscovado sugar, dates, smokey toffee, very subtle spices, and a touch of tea. Perfectly crafted, even if the aroma was a little lacking.

nondeduvel (2) - Belgium, BELGIUM - DEC 9, 2007 does not count
Iíve had quite a few different beers already but Iíve waited for the King of Beers to make my first rating on the site. I can just say... stunning beer... a present of mother nature, heaven in you mouth. Itís incredible how you can play with elements of nature to make such a delicious liquid. One thing that suprises me is that itís not that different from the St-Bernardus Abt 12, which has been my favourite beer until now. I canít say which of the two is the best... they are both just perfect brews, both better then the Rochefort 10 in my opinion. Iíll have this as much as I can!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
drseamus (103) - Troy, New York, USA - DEC 4, 2007
Today is my birthday, and my present to myself is to open a bottle of Westvleteren 12. Itís pretty green though, about 4 months old at this point based on a best buy date of 10/11/09 (converted to american format). I poured a bottle into a chimay glass. It pours a very dark brown. It isnít black, but light barely penetrates. There is a nice mocha colored head that hangs around for a while and laces nicely down the glass leaving patches of foam on the surface of the beer. The aroma is great. It has a raisin and rich toffee aroma with a malty background. It is very sweet and there is another aroma on top of the raisins I canít quite place that might be caramelized brown sugar. I have heard so much about this beer that I almost though it would fall short of my expectations. Fortunately, that was not the case. This is a great beer. The first thing that hits me is the insane level of smoothness and creaminess. For a Belgian Quad, it is ridiculous. In no way can I detect any of the 10.2% alcohol in this beer. I donít consider myself a good enough beer taster to break down all the flavors in this, but I get a pretty strong chocolate flavor and a bit of spiciness as well. The feeling of this beer is great. It has great body, but not as heavy as a stout would be. I would consider it to be medium bodied but the complexity adds so much to the mouthfeel. In case you couldnít figure it out from the rest of the review, the drinkability is extremely high. Iím gonna have to start calling in all my favors from friends with belgian contacts.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
SamGamgee (2452) - down the whirlpool, California, USA - DEC 4, 2007
At Gollem, Amsterdam, 12-2-07. Dark brown, beige head, lace. Looks perfect in its own chalice, very elegant. My first impression of the aroma is lots of yeast; very bready and doughy. Then prunes, dates, and pure malt; not overly sweet, and very intricate. the flavor is bready as well; plenty of spice and dried fruit, but not sugary., and surprisingly not as sweet as the other abts Iíve had. No alcohol flavor. The palate is very smooth and full, almost perfect. Goes down cleanly with a finish that leaves a pleasant but not overly sweet taste in your mouth for quite a while. I knew that they would have this when I was planning my trip to Amsterdam, but I was almost in disbelief until I actually ordered it and forked over the twelve euros. It was served out of the cellar, like the St. Bernardus 12 that I had the nigh before, and that temperature perfectly complimented its flavors. As the last of the top three abts to have rated, in comparison I would say that westy is by far the most drinkable and balanced. I think that Rochefort has more complexities in the aroma, which I really like, but it can be too rich and alcoholic. St Bernardus is about the same in intensity as westy, but lacks the powerful yeastiness and complexity of flavor. Price wise, is it three times better than St Bernardus? No way, and I know Iíll be lucky to get another one any time soon, which I guess is part of the mystique.