overall
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 2992   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.45   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
kmp (1) - BELGIUM - DEC 25, 2004 does not count
I’ve got 4 crates of this beer, and two months later, I now have 4 bottles left.... I’ve got to teach my friends the route to west-vleteren

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
CamdenD (1056) - Madrid, SPAIN - DEC 23, 2004
OK, I get it now. Near-chocolate nose, yet finer; the taste is full and grand, like a nice nebbiolo or burgandy. I’m not good enough to say more about this.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
IndianaRed (2186) - Boise, Idaho, USA - DEC 21, 2004
UPDATED: DEC 22, 2004 Bottle Pours a dark brown witha fizzy off white head. great thick even lacing. Terrific aromas of raisons, prunes, figs, brown sugar and a touch of belgian clove/spice. Flavors are much the same, very complicated and busy. A bit smokey and musty but still fairly sweet. Feel is a lively carbonation and a smooth palate. Soft warm sweet aftertaste. Not No. 1 for nothing. Delicious !

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
Christian (10779) - Odense, DENMARK - DEC 20, 2004
UPDATED: JUN 15, 2013 Cafe in de Vrede, April 2013, fresh comparison of all three Westvleteren. Cloudy dark brown with a lasting off-white head. Aroma of brown sugar, caramel, dried fruit and vineous alcohol, along with cinnamon and a hint of banana. Sweet and full bodied flavour with brown sugar and dried fruit, vineous and slightly hot alcohol. Grassy hops, and a quite bitter finish

Original excited 2004 rating for 4.8: A cloudy to muddy dark red/ruby brown beer with very little head. What can I add about the aroma, that wasn’t already said here? I picked up earth and plums at first and then so many other impressions that I couldn’t pick them apart, but just sat and enjoyed. The flavour is quite sweet and malty, but balanced and very long lasting (the beer lasted an hour, the flavour lasted another hour). There is a lot of hops to balance, and a licorice dark malt note too that adds a dry finish. Round, pleasant mouthfeel with just noticable bubbles and an almost oily whisky like mouthfeel. It’s just a wonderful drink and at risk of being Ratebeer conformist, I’ll have to say that it earns the 20 overall score second to only Kaggen.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
wnhay (722) - Princeton, New Jersey, USA - DEC 18, 2004
UPDATED: JAN 31, 2006 Unbelievable! What else can I say. Can you give the aroma higher then 10? This beer has the greatest aroma. I had to sit down when I smelled this beer. Bananas, Apples, Candy, Malt, and Hops and Caramel are all very present. The taste is spectacular, but just a bit too sweet. The caramel, banana and wine taste are quite unique. Just awesome. Re-rate: I was not quite as impressed this time. This particular bottle was a bit one dimensional and I am not sure why. It was still great, but I am beginning to think that there is a lack of consistency in this beer. Still a world class beer though. Re-rate: As great as ever once again. This time my friend and I picked up gin and tonic in the taste. It is hard to believe there was still another aspect to pick up.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
MiP (13047) - Sønderborg, DENMARK - DEC 15, 2004
UPDATED: JUN 9, 2013 Bottle. Very dark brown colour. Creamy tan head. Very full flavour, peppery and malty. Nice smooth mouthfeel. 15 Dec 2004. 5 4 8 4 17

Bottle, 10.2%. Weak bready aroma. Cloudy dark brown colour. Big stable light brown head. The flavour is sweet and bready with a lot of brown sugar, some marzipan and a rather high bitterness. Mild carbonation and good mouthfeel. A little boozy finish. 7 3 7 3 18

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
pintocb (641) - Darsville, Georgia, USA - DEC 11, 2004
Wow. I have had the other four Trappist beers and have read tons of hoopla online about the Westy...I was a little dissapointed. Not my favorite beer in the world. That being said, it was great. Lots of raisins, banana and some other fruit mixed in. I couldn’t tell it was over 10% abv. Great beer, but I like some of the Fantome beers better.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
pineypower (2402) - Pine Barrens, New Jersey, USA - DEC 5, 2004
UPDATED: APR 20, 2008 Ok, so I went for it, got done with a long project so I had to celebrate. Once again I was like a little kid at Christmas. Pours out a nice deep brown color with a decent sized white head. The aroma is amazing, with complex fruits and sweet spice. The taste is almost godly. There is such complexity I have no idea how they pull it off. It has a nice bananna flavor with other more subtle notes of spice, fruits and brown sugar, with slight yeast and a tiny little note of hops. Awesome brew, I can’t wait to have an aged one of these.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Hairofthedog (419) - San Diego, California, USA - DEC 5, 2004
Caramel and toast aromas w/ a buttery crispness and sweetness. Deep brown w/ gold highlights, okay head and slight lacing. Caramel apple sweetness and spice w/ hints of honey and orange. Light and dry w/ minor effervesence.

TorbenH (788) - Frederikshavn, DENMARK - DEC 3, 2004
Absolutely wonderful! The best beer in the world. Well worth the price. Supernatural