overall
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 2988   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.45   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
tbookman (618) - Ephrata, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 28, 2004
I now can see why this is considered world class. Wonderfullly balanced malts, caramel, and berries. The alcohol is mostly masked by the complex body. Just terrific!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
steve23mj (273) - Essexville, Michigan, USA - OCT 27, 2004
# 100. Pours bronzy brownish with light tannish head. Nose is very malty, plummy and toffeish. Rich caramel notes. Flavors are sweet and complex. Warming. Subtle alcohol finish. Beautiful beer!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
joergen (19639) - Frederiksberg, DENMARK - OCT 26, 2004
Brown colour with a fine white head. Nice aroma of malt and raisins. Good sweet flavor of malt and hops. Very balanced.

Piposieske (7) - Maastricht, NETHERLANDS - OCT 26, 2004 does not count
Alrighty then..., I gave this one the maximum rating, because I really canít imagine a better tasting beer. There is simply nothing to improve about this one. Itís comparable with a Rochefort 10, but with an incredibly wide range of fruity tastes and other stuff of which I really donít know the English words for. I guess itís worth travelling +/- 260 kilometres to get a crate, if only I had a driving licence (bagger!).

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Escobar (6) - Frederiksberg C, DENMARK - OCT 20, 2004 does not count
Well what can I say? Keep them coming to me. The king of beers! Canít really say anything bad about this beer, perhaps except that it isnít a product of Denmark :)

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Emil (6067) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - OCT 20, 2004
UPDATED: JAN 25, 2006 Dark red-brown color, heavy fruity spicy aroma, light sweet spicy taste, full body, long sweet light alcoholic finish.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
footbalm (1219) - Western Minneapolis Suburbs, Minnesota, USA - OCT 17, 2004
Mohagany,dark cherry brew with a creamy top.nose is wonderful,Deep aromas of fruit,cherry,fermented dates and figs.The sweetness here is not overwhelming or sickening but rather smooth and delicious.first sip is to be savored.Every bit as complex as Rochefort 10.the esters here have been taken to a level of exotic fruits.Alcohol is warm and enjoyable.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
IMtheOptimator (1161) - Bethel, Connecticut, USA - OCT 11, 2004
Poured reddish brown with a medium off-white head that left a lacing on the glass and film on the beer. The smell is strong and enticing: fruity red wine, with some spiciness. I hypothesize that opening a bottle and leaving it in an unventilated room would have the same effect as putting up an air freshener or burning a scented candle. The taste is extraordinarily complex and well-layered. It starts off sweet with obvious fruit overtones. In the mouth it gives way partially to some spiciness and a mild roasted flavor. After swallowing it leaves a sticky sweet taste in the mouth that repeats on you long after youíve finished it. The alcohol warms the throat, but is exceptionally well-hidden in the taste of the beer. Very smooth, amazingly drinkable, and undeniably enjoyable. I will keep my other two bottles in my cellar a while longer to see what aging does to this fine brew. Overall, I felt this beer lived up to the hype and then some.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Dorwart (2341) - Robbinsville, New Jersey, USA - OCT 9, 2004
Nice dense, light tan head which reduces to a nice thin foam. Reforms quickly upon swirling. Light carbonation. Nice rich aroma. Plums, raisins, alcohol, caramel and a myriad of other smells in this complex aroma. Bit of cheese as the brew warms. Medium brown/mahagony in color. Huge amount of sediment in the bottle. Very woody in flavor. Soft on the palate with a good bit of malts, alcohol and more fruit. Seems slightly off to me but I canít explain why. Seems, dare I say, like a little plastic in there. Still excellent flavor but not quite as complex as the aroma. Alcohol kind of dominates the palate and may be killing some of the flavor. Finish is warming and a little sweet. I have been holding on to this one for a while to be used as my 500th rating. Thanks to AMX1970390 for the brew. I am a little disappointed with this. A very, very good brew but to me there are some better brews out there.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Crosling (1863) - Loveland, Colorado, USA - OCT 4, 2004
UPDATED: APR 20, 2005 I brought 6 bottles back from Belgium and decided to open one up to celebrate the anniversary of my birth last night. Mahogany. Heavily aromatic, complex, winey nose of cherries, plums, currants, caramel and toffee. Complex, melded flavor. Up front, the beer is lacking in my opinion but does possess notes of cherries and grapes. Mid-palate leans into a brandy-like sweetness, notes of caramel and pepper and finishes with hints of plums and berries. The alcohol is precisely hidden throughout the brew and it simply just doesnít show its potency. That being said, I truly donít find this beer to be all that flavorful and I never have. Itís a great beer but I donít think its the best beer in the world. I can see why others do though.