overall
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3071   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.44   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
chrisfrey (15) - Franklin, Wisconsin, USA - APR 18, 2005
A friend of mine said that this beer is everything that is right about beer and he was correct. It is simply the best beer I have ever had. It is warm and creamy and nutty with a touch of fruit and no bitter taste afterward. Lkke a previous rater, I will let my supply age and see how it is in 6 months or so.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Cornfield (5437) - Oak Forest, Illinois, USA - APR 17, 2005
UPDATED: JUL 4, 2005 If this beer was any more rare Iíd probably be rater #5507 rather than #557... or, am I understanding these numbers backwards? Whatever the story of this ubiquitiously rare beer, itís not pleasant to look at, a residue-filled, muddy brown with a white film for a head. The aroma is darkly sweet, malt mashed with dark dry fruits, raisins and prunes and dates... and a lurking alcohol presence. The taste is excellent - yeasty and fruity and toasty and laced with alcohol - sweet but well-balanced. The finish is a long, dry alcoholic one. I see that tradition seems to dictate that I rate this higher than I am today, but this is the best I can do despite the fame of this ale. I will try some of my cellared stock of this rare brew next year and rerate.

<font size=-4><a href=http://www.ratebeer.com/Places/ShowPlace.asp? Liquors, Chicago, IL<font size=-1>

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
piwodevo (53) - chicago, Illinois, USA - APR 16, 2005
tricky to rate, this Westveltwelve. most seem tempted to rate it tops in all categories, due, i suppose, to its price and rarity and renown. itís aroma is typical belgian (a nose i usually donít particularly care for, in most cases), its appearance a murky brown with short-lived head. thereís my lowest ratings. but the flavor is out-of-this world. balance. as with the rest of life, great beer is all about balance. sweet, with a backup dryness and spiciness, smooth mouthfeel, great finish. excellent.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
tofubeth (10) - Vermont, USA - APR 15, 2005
A fine Belgian beer, one of the best you can get if you arenít in Belgium or in Queens, NY.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
SoLan (1550) - Florida, USA - APR 14, 2005
Dark brown/ruby. Small head for a Belgian. #1 on the site, my first time trying this beer, Iím a little excited. Dark fruits, sugar, malt in the aroma. Flavor to match with a distinct dryness neutralizing the sweetness. Very well balanced. More carbonation than expected by the appearance. Full body, clean finish. Pleasant aftertaste of the same flavors. Excellent.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
JonR888710 (999) - Cochabamba, BOLIVIA - APR 13, 2005
Beer 500. Pours a very cloudy, very yeasty dark brown, similar to the color of the bottle its been housed in. When held to light some orange and red show. Oodles of yeast. Head is everlasting off-white froth that has dozens of bubbly strings rising from the sides of the glass. Leaves an excellent lacing. When viewed from the side, the beer is like a starry night with particles floating and shooting all over the place. Quite unlike anything Iíve ever seen. Smell is strong and wafts across the room all by itself. Powerfully fragrant, exhibiting caramel, roasted malt, fresh prunes, dark grapes, slight chocolate and raisins all in perfect proportion. Taste is well crafted and of perfect thickness and viscosity. Coats tongue long enough to leave behind flavors of roasted malt balanced with pit fruits. No misused or maligned flavors. Alcohol is recessed in taste for nearly 11% and does not bother the palate in any way. This beer certainly has an excellent reputation that precedes it and admittedly that worried me about rating it. How do you rank something that is supposedly one of, if not THE greatest beers in the world. Well, after drinking it I have to say it is great and Iíve never had a Belgian of better overall quality, taste, appearance and aroma. I canít say that it was spectacularly ground-breaking or that it reformed my impression of beer, but it did perform what it was supposed to for its style, and it did so magnificently. For now, this beer is king.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
brkc (11) - USA - APR 11, 2005
Thanks to beerhandy I was finally able to try this one. I was not disappointed. It is neck and neck with the Rochefort 10. Thanks alot. I couldnít believe how fast that I got this.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
NobleSquirrel (3437) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - APR 10, 2005
So, the time has come. In approximately 14 hrs, my senior paper is due. I have 24 pages, no footnotes, intro, or conclusion. I should hit about 40 pages (including coversheet and bibliography). So, I sit down with the monster, the king, Westy 12. It pours a golden brown, settling to a deep brown-red in my glass, with a big offwhite head that is peppered with little yeast particles. The smell is intoxicating. Roasted coffee, toast, white wine, bread, fruit rollups. This is definitely 8ís bigger brother. Very vinous nose. Taste is huge. Similar to Bernardus, but more going on. Itís epic. Last night I was discussing how I wasnít sure that I really care for dark Belgians. This may be the exception that proves the rule. THe taste is very yeasty and fruity at the same time. I get wine at first, almost like bread soaked in wine. Through the middle and at the finish a pleasing bitterness comes through. In between the middle and finish, tamarind and unsweetened tea marry together to form one of the best tastes Iíve gotten from Belgian. This is indescribable. This time, the beer begins sweet and moves into the tea flavor once again. The alcohol warms my insides. While this is not my favorite beer of all time, I cannot find anything within this beer that detracts. Is this perfection?

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Kinnaj15 (275) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - APR 10, 2005
Black with ligth brown head. The aroma has a plesant hint of the yeast. Soft and complex taste with good long lingering complex aftertaste. I love it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
RAYBOY01 (2012) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - APR 9, 2005
UPDATED: APR 5, 2006 My new son-in-law stopped over unexpectedly, and to impress a budding beer fanatic, I popped one open to share, or so I thought...four empty bottles later we finally had to stop ourselves. But I donít see what all the fuss is about, really!

Seriously, this is a wonderful beer. Rich chocolatey texture with dark fruits, plums, dates, raisins, and currants. Subtle alcohol notes as smooth as silk. You owe yourself the time to relax and enjoy a long leisurely sampling of this spectacular drink. Linger long with each sip, and savor itís complexities.