overall
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3228   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.44   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
redlight (2317) - Orlando, Florida, USA - FEB 10, 2006
UPDATED: AUG 23, 2009 Wow it was a treat to get to try this one. Great aroma, raisons, berries, caramel. Poured a dark brown, with a thin white head. The flavor was so smooth! Rich caramel, some plum, raison, vanilla. Felt silky.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
barleyandmalt (25) - USA - FEB 5, 2006
The end of the road is reached. Because of the hype, I did expect this beer to explode berries, caramels, many such complexities, and yet it was subtle. So unassuming and drinkable that I could have it on any occasion, with or without food, perhaps at any temp. and still enjoy it thoroughly. My applause to Westvleteren and deep thanks to Tijs Mallaerts.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
RateandPillage (426) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - FEB 5, 2006
Pours red/brown with a big offwhite head. Aroma is malty with some spice, banana, bread, and dark fruits. Flavor of the same, but keeps on going. Some caramel and light amounts of chocolate. Very complex. Thick on the palate. Nice, I can see why it is the most sought after beer on the planet.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
OhioDad (2493) - Hilliard, Ohio, USA - FEB 1, 2006
#1000 - I thought after 1000 I finally deserved to pop open one of these.. I think I got this one from my secret santa back in July, Mullman but I also got one I believe from alanc - Thanks guys! - Poured dark brown with a nice creamy tan head that stays very well and laces the sides of the trappist glass. Beautiful to behold in appearance. Aroma is beautiful as well. Nice notes of caramel, yeast, dark fruits, raisins, even a touch of chocolate. Very vinous and complex. This beer really shines on the palate with such a full bodied beer but a light soft moutfeel that seems to melt on your tongue.. Very pleasant to drink. Worthy of itís stature of the best... Very close to perfect and a great choice for #1000!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Siroy (220) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - JAN 31, 2006
UPDATED: FEB 1, 2006 For my 100th rating on RB, Iíve chose the emblematic Westy for the icon it represents. Considered by RBeerians aggregated opinions as being the best beer in the world.. to my experience, either Iíve not developed my taste enough and Iím no worthy of this beer or my expectations were simply unrealistic. Also, it could be because this beer itís a little overrated being the best of the hardest world-renowned Trappist beers to get.
Now why? Good question. I admit that the dark burgundy brown color with that fluffy/bubbly tan head, those very nice laces, hunks of yeast make it a definite 5 appearance: no question there. That extremely complex fruity nose going to an array of deep/rich fruits.. cherry, prunes, pears ..alcohol esters.. caramelized malts surrounded by a deep damp cellar impression, confirmed in the mouth while being rich, round, and long..

A very good beer but I havenít had that woahh-hiii (© 2005, Yowie) impression that I was expecting like when I had the Cantillon gueuze 1996, the Speciaal Brouwsel 20.. or even the Orval and the Avec les bons voeux.. Odd. Might be because I had this beer alone at my place while I had most of the beers I rated so far with such nice people, intensifying the experience of every beer.. People like Rastacouere, MartinT, tiggmtl, Olivier_MTL and ClakVV among others that I donít have the chance to see as often.
I have a few left and Iíll give this beer another try..

<rerate from another bottle>

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
GG (2326) - NorCal, California, USA - JAN 31, 2006
While having a tasting with an old friend, he brought this one out from his stash of world renowned beers. We split this one and I found myself overcome with the complexity of this quad. The monks of St. Sixtus make a wonderful product that should be shared with the world. Thereís nothing I could say that hasnít already been stated. Well deserving of the noteriety. Something that actually lives up to the hype.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
NosirIwont (2008) - Aalborg Vestby, DENMARK - JAN 30, 2006
Bottle. Pours clear amber brown with an off-white head. Aroma has rye, malt and yeast. Complex flavour; sweet and vinous with fruits and alcohol. Perfumy notes in the finish. Quite well-balanced. Great palate; soft with a perfect amount of carbonacid. A nice beer, but a bit overrated imho. 28-01-06.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Nightfall (1307) - Hamburg, GERMANY - JAN 28, 2006
UPDATED: JUN 11, 2009 This is probably the best beer I have ever tried (and very likely the best I will ever will). Everything is extremely well balanced. Fantastic tastes and aromas of fruit mostly plum. Great white head. A masterpiece !

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
fbennett (293) - Portland, Oregon, USA - JAN 23, 2006
This beer has been aged for about 2 years. The look of this beer pours a delicious dark ruby brown that leaves a quickly disappating tan head. Very little carbonation compared to the fresher one I had 2 years ago. The smell is of candied fruit, plum, peaches, golden raisins, bananas, cloves, and some slight essence of chocolate liqour. The complexity of this beer is the best Iíve ever come across. The taste of this beer just explodes with the sweet fruit and at first has a powerful vinos essences that subsides with warmth. This beer is one that should mellow even more with age but I actually prefered the fresher bottle I had about 2 years ago. As I let this beer warm up I began to taste even more of the honey and clove. Overall this is a great beer, I love things about the fresher version but I love the smoothness of this aged bottle.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
HenrikSoegaard (10870) - Randers, DENMARK - JAN 22, 2006
Bottle. Its a fantastic beer. The best so far. The reason it doesnīt get 5,0 is that the aroma could be a little more powerfull, and the head a bit more lasting . Otherwise this is the perfect beer. You eat it, more than you drink it.