overall
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3536   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.43/5   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
sneagrams3 (2337) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - JUN 25, 2007
#800! So this is it? This is the big gun. This sets the standard...Slightly maple amber hue. Tight ring of bone white head. Sweet honey nose. Toffee and vanilla mixed with a slight tuaca burn. Nutty with a mix of sweet spices. Full bodied with citrus acidity full be a great rush of effervesnce. Burn hits then ebbes. Leaves a tingling coating on the teeth. Warming. Toffee and acidic, almost cherry ish. Smokey and woody. Subtle whiskey note. Light crisper palate. Big and tasty. Notes of raisins and a sherry stickiness. What can I say, this has been a wonderful experience. I have entered a unique cateogory. Hooray for beer! Horray for me! Excellently crafted brew!

JasonG (776) - Salt Lake City, Utah, USA - JUN 22, 2007
Finally, I get to rate the true king of beers! 11.2 oz bottle, pours a hazy ruby red color with tiny light tan head that dissapears quickly. Aroma is full of juicy caramel, hint of cherry, vanilla, oak, ginger, red grape, faintest touch of burbon. Flavor has lots of grape jelly notes, bit of vanilla bean, lightly toasted caramel, touch of oak and anise. Finish is relatively sweet. Definiely a great brew, although I donít think it quite lives up to the greatest beer in the world, but still very good, and definitely a landmark rating. Thanks to MikeF and Faye for getting me this bottle.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
rjglory (7) - Den Haag, NETHERLANDS - JUN 15, 2007 does not count
My heartfelt thanks to Arun for treating me with this pricey beer. 10 euros for a 30 cl bottle is too steep for stingy me. The taste is almost worth it. We compared the 2006 11% Gouden Carollus Cuvee van de Kaiser and the Rochefort Trappistes 10. This was a night to remember indeed. My preference is still the Cuvee van de Kaiser. Nevertheless, the monks at the Abbey do produce an incredibly superb beer. It is a real pity that it is so expensive and difficult to find. The high level of alcohol is unnoticeable. It is a very subtle and smooth beer with several flavors tightly knit together. Sweet but only mildly bitter. The foretaste is a disappointment. (Hmmm, it isnít that good.) Then the full flavor kicks in. It is delightful. This is surprisingly smooth, not at all what I expected. Each sip is to be savored for several seconds. The aftertaste is likewise very subtle as different flavors melt away. It does not coat the mouth and throat in the way that the Cuvee does. The range or spectrum of flavor is not as wide. Yet it does not disappoint at all -except maybe the wallet.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
gunhaver (1030) - Tampa, Florida, USA - JUN 11, 2007
UPDATED: MAY 4, 2008 Rerate: 1996 bottle, courtesy Papsoe, shared with folks at Oldsmar Tap House. Pours a cloudy murky caramel color. Lots of lacing on the glass. Aroma is full of delicious aroma and some butterscotch and gorgeous, nostril-filling fruity esters. Divine. Flavor is chock full of gorgeous, mouth-savoring notes, including caramel, dark candy, plum, rich fruits, brown sugar...amazing. Extremely drinkable and as good as a beer as Iíve ever had. We had it side by side with an í07 Westy 12, and this one destroyed the latter. Amazing.

Huge thanks to my dear friend peabody for this one. Looks beautiful. The smell doesnít hit me as well as the Westy 8. The taste is amazing and so smooth for a 10% beer. Best in the world? Tough call. I think I like the Westy 8 more. Still, a fantastic brew here.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Stip (8) - Zolder, BELGIUM - JUN 4, 2007 does not count
I can see why this beer was rated the best in the world. Itís a pity itís so hard to get!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
DrededBrethren (10) - Palm, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 3, 2007
Very exciting tasting 6/2 thanks to Jhop and friends. Aroma- nothing dominating but a nice complex blend of light roast, perfumey alcohol, dark fruit and banana. Appearance- Hazy brown, tan head and hot legs. Flavor- Similar to the aroma but a subtle hint of a noble hop variety into the warm finish. Palate- medium-full body with a delicate presence in the mouth that is only found in a westvleteren. Killer Quad.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
afterglow (1047) - Florida, USA - JUN 2, 2007
Pours a slightly hazy dark brown with a small light tan head that fades leaving minimal lacing. Aroma of dark fruit, slightly burnt caramel, figs, alcohol, slight banana, and yeast spice. Taste is the same as aroma with just a slight residual sweetness. Medium mouthfeel with a nice but not hot alcohol warmth and mild bitterness. This beer lived up to all of the hype. I canít wait to get my hands on one again.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
eyesandsmiles (179) - Mission Viejo, California, USA - JUN 2, 2007
The taste really flourishes at the end of the sip. Its as if its aromas are released only after imbibing. Great beer. Worth the hype? not sure.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Furseth (2047) - Kungšlv, SWEDEN - JUN 1, 2007
Bottle:2006: Thx to Patrik( oh6gdx) Deep red hazy colour,flat head. Aroma of alc,citrus,burned sugar,and a balanced hopy end. Flavor is almost the same,Smouth citic,alc,rasin mouth feeling. Full body,long rasin,citrus,alc bitterfinish.So werry well done: Great!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
coldbrewky (1571) - Hippetown East, New York, USA - MAY 31, 2007
UPDATED: JUN 1, 2007 This is the last bottle from my first trade with Maria. I had consumed one of these during my íIron City" days and found it to be "neat" then. Ignorance is not always bliss. Pours a murky and mysterious dark brown with hints of brown arond the edges. A large bubble head that is quite rocky erupts from my less than gentle pour. Spice and sweet nose. Rasins, and candied figs. Body is also gently spicy with well balanced malt. this beer is no way in your face about anything. I moved out of my standard consumption area (the basement) partly due to the beautiful day here in NY and the fact that my cats will not leave me alone at all since I opened this beer. It seems they desire it like they desire tuna or catnip. If you read my posts, the cats at times have given their two cents on a variety of styles. This time their antics drove me to the porch. A fantastic rounded finish that makes you questiion whether or not his may be the best balanced beer on the planet. #200