Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3666   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.43/5   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

nondeduvel (2) - Belgium, BELGIUM - DEC 9, 2007 does not count
Iíve had quite a few different beers already but Iíve waited for the King of Beers to make my first rating on the site. I can just say... stunning beer... a present of mother nature, heaven in you mouth. Itís incredible how you can play with elements of nature to make such a delicious liquid. One thing that suprises me is that itís not that different from the St-Bernardus Abt 12, which has been my favourite beer until now. I canít say which of the two is the best... they are both just perfect brews, both better then the Rochefort 10 in my opinion. Iíll have this as much as I can!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
drseamus (103) - Troy, New York, USA - DEC 4, 2007
Today is my birthday, and my present to myself is to open a bottle of Westvleteren 12. Itís pretty green though, about 4 months old at this point based on a best buy date of 10/11/09 (converted to american format). I poured a bottle into a chimay glass. It pours a very dark brown. It isnít black, but light barely penetrates. There is a nice mocha colored head that hangs around for a while and laces nicely down the glass leaving patches of foam on the surface of the beer. The aroma is great. It has a raisin and rich toffee aroma with a malty background. It is very sweet and there is another aroma on top of the raisins I canít quite place that might be caramelized brown sugar. I have heard so much about this beer that I almost though it would fall short of my expectations. Fortunately, that was not the case. This is a great beer. The first thing that hits me is the insane level of smoothness and creaminess. For a Belgian Quad, it is ridiculous. In no way can I detect any of the 10.2% alcohol in this beer. I donít consider myself a good enough beer taster to break down all the flavors in this, but I get a pretty strong chocolate flavor and a bit of spiciness as well. The feeling of this beer is great. It has great body, but not as heavy as a stout would be. I would consider it to be medium bodied but the complexity adds so much to the mouthfeel. In case you couldnít figure it out from the rest of the review, the drinkability is extremely high. Iím gonna have to start calling in all my favors from friends with belgian contacts.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
SamGamgee (2452) - down the whirlpool, California, USA - DEC 4, 2007
At Gollem, Amsterdam, 12-2-07. Dark brown, beige head, lace. Looks perfect in its own chalice, very elegant. My first impression of the aroma is lots of yeast; very bready and doughy. Then prunes, dates, and pure malt; not overly sweet, and very intricate. the flavor is bready as well; plenty of spice and dried fruit, but not sugary., and surprisingly not as sweet as the other abts Iíve had. No alcohol flavor. The palate is very smooth and full, almost perfect. Goes down cleanly with a finish that leaves a pleasant but not overly sweet taste in your mouth for quite a while. I knew that they would have this when I was planning my trip to Amsterdam, but I was almost in disbelief until I actually ordered it and forked over the twelve euros. It was served out of the cellar, like the St. Bernardus 12 that I had the nigh before, and that temperature perfectly complimented its flavors. As the last of the top three abts to have rated, in comparison I would say that westy is by far the most drinkable and balanced. I think that Rochefort has more complexities in the aroma, which I really like, but it can be too rich and alcoholic. St Bernardus is about the same in intensity as westy, but lacks the powerful yeastiness and complexity of flavor. Price wise, is it three times better than St Bernardus? No way, and I know Iíll be lucky to get another one any time soon, which I guess is part of the mystique.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
davieutah (3) - Ohio, USA - DEC 3, 2007 does not count
Outstanding aroma and presence. Flavor exceeded my expectations. A must for any beer lover looking for the Holy Grail of beers.

ubamartian (155) - Watertown, Wisconsin, USA - DEC 1, 2007
I have taken the pleasure of enjoying the best Trappest in the world. I have had the honor of tasting one of the best beers in the world. Lovely plain bottle, leaving a wealth of anticipation and regal purity in itís unadorned natural state. Pours a deep dark brown with hints of red peaking through. The beautiful tan head is billowy and thick. The aroma is enticing. Screaming of malts and dark fruits, mostly raisins and prunes. Sweet brown sugar, a hint of yeasty bread round out the aroma. If beer could talk, this would say, "I AM BEER, DRINK ME!" I sit and enjoy the aroma for about a minute, before I cannot stand it any longer and take the first sip. Bliss. Strong dark fruits, sweet brown sugar, roasted malts, oh my! The feeling on the mouth is full, warm, and tantalizing each and every tast bud. When you finally get to the finish, your greeted with a warming from the alcohol, and caressed by the dark fruit. I think the monks that make this are truly blessed.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
pnista (1007) - Bloomington, Indiana, USA - NOV 30, 2007
Hazy chocolate brown to reddish chocolate with a thin dense tan head. The nose is sweet round malt to pruney malt. Big ass figs. Some prunes raisins. Subtle brown sugar. Small bit of tuttifruiti to bubble gum. Creamy soft body, full mouth, a bit viscous, but still, remarkably ethereal on the palate. Big strong dark fruits buoyed by a light alcohol and a slight roast. Soft delicate lingering acidity accompanied by a nice alcohol warming. Raisins? Tuttifruiti? A small bit of chocolate that grows stronger with warming. Lingering light alcohol and dark fruit roast. A very lovey beer indeed, thanks for sharing yjb!

rudik (1) - genk, BELGIUM - NOV 30, 2007 does not count
Without words, this is the absolute Premier Grand Cru between the beers ! You will be in heaven after 2 of them.

jarikumpul (2) - Helsinki, FINLAND - NOV 22, 2007 does not count
Definetly the best beer in the world. I have drinked about 170 bottles of it(11%,10.8% and 10.2%) have all caps in my home.Has fully body and rich dark color.Oldest what I have drinked is from year 1981 (drinked in 2005)

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Bontus (758) - Flanders, BELGIUM - NOV 22, 2007
UPDATED: MAY 1, 2013 Two year old bottle thanks to my gardener (rerate in parenthesis). Had it in the fridge for a week but let it get used to room temperature for a few minutes before serving. Pours a real dark brown colored beer (really almost black). With a shade of ruby (true). Lots of yeast in the bottle (more than one centimetre). Made a tight but not too big creamy head. Aroma of brown sugar, port, chocolate (this one was more vinous with liquorice). Flavours come one at a time which is very much appreciated. Sweet and warm aftertaste yet not alcoholic. (very drinkable still)

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
tronraner (2459) - Walland, Tennessee, USA - NOV 19, 2007
33 cL bottle. It pours a dark mahogany with big, very tight beige head. The aroma is really quite refined, with caramel apples mostly, some faint roastiness, noticeable sugar, and some slight clovey yeast notes. The flavor is incredibly harmonious. It begins with an edgy, roasty acidity with a few burnt notes. But it quickly softens and becomes more like caramel. I even detect a slightly oaty taste in there. I gets a little more tart again toward the finish, but also takes on a sort of bitter chocolate tone, with plenty of clove and maybe allspice. The aftertaste is warm but not distinctly alcoholic. Some woody chocolate notes linger for quite some time, too. I gotta say, this really is quite a good beer. Thanks to dra19 for sending this bottle my way.