Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3467   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.44/5   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
deSixtus (3) - BELGIUM - JAN 16, 2007 does not count
The best beer Iíve ever tasted, has a good lacing, a bit creamy and of cours a sweet taste

urbeer (40) - Lo, BELGIUM - JAN 14, 2007
Bottle conditioned 2004. Pours a beautiful chestnut brown beer with a nice off-creamy head. The nose is slightly earthy with notes of figgy sweetness. Aroma shows slight alcohol, some wood and hints of smoke. Flavour notes highlight of raisin bread, spice and fruitiness. Aftertaste is long, malty and sweet accompanied with dates and light bready notes.

detroiter (958) - Euphoria, Minnesota, USA - JAN 14, 2007
Pours a deep brown color, with brick red hues when held to the light. Half an inch of smooth and creamy tan foam tops it off. Thick sheets of foamy lace. Belgian chocolate, fruit, yeast, and alcohol in the nose. First sip - oh my this is nice. Soft and smooth flavors of sweet plum, bread, earthy fig, rum, and mild chocolate dance and dance and dance. There’s a delicate but sharp tannin-like bitterness at mid sip that could be hops, or it could be bitter chocolate, or it could just be the alcohol. After a couple sips, I settle on alcohol as the cause, as its presence is sensed as a pleasant vaporous warmth in my throat, my lungs, my tongue, my sinuses… I’d certainly fail a breathalizer right now, and these were my first couple sips of the day. Now I lick my lips expecting alcohol, and instead get a yeasty bready flavor with some smooth Mackinac Island fudge. Silky smooth mouthfeel - creamy, velvety, soft, luscious. Moderate carbonation, full body. Prolonged alcohol in the aftertaste. Becomes even more fruity and even spicy the deeper I dive into the bottle. This is like candy, very addictive.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
screwball (1099) - Motala, SWEDEN - JAN 14, 2007
Dark. Begie creamy head. The aroma brings alot! Plums, vanilla, chocolatte,rassin and malt are some of all the aromas that goes to your nose. Also peppry. Pepper also comes in the flavor. The flavor and the palate is so extraordinary!

Svejk (12) - Washington, USA - JAN 14, 2007
In the fall of 2003, I took a trip to Belgium and sought out this beer. When you hear so much about a beer, your expectations are through the roof. I found it at a small beer shop in Brugge and brought it back to the hotel. My first sip made me a believer. Itís hard to know where the hype ends and the truth begins, but with this beer, I think the brewers have truly come up with something special. I understand that St Bernardus is basically the same beer, but Iíve had that beer on several occasions, and while I find it delicious, it has not quite impressed me in the same way as the original.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
joebrew (608) - Farewell Minny; Hello Puyallup, Washington, USA - JAN 13, 2007
Much thanks to JK for letting me try this beer. Poured from a 33cl bottle a dark brownish-red, with a small off-white head. The nose exhibits a nice earthiness accompanied by an almost figgy sweetness. There is a slight hint of alcoholic bite in the nose as well and just a slight hint of dark fruits. The flavor is very nice with a silky soft alcohol burn accompanied by a nice toffee/caramel presence. There is also hints of chocolate, raisens and a very subtle, almost islay scotch peaty character. I was extremely excited to have the opportunity to try this beer, and it was great to sip this delicious nectar with JK and BadgerBen.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Ty5592 (1018) - Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 12, 2007
Bottle from moejuck. Dark drown with fluffy head. Aroma of figs,rasins,and grapes. The taste was the same with alcoholic finish. Chewy and smooth with wine like quality. Sweet but not overly. You know, this is a good beer but I donít see how it is the BEST beer in the world.

GreatLibations (1854) - Last Supper, Arizona, USA - JAN 11, 2007
UPDATED: DEC 5, 2007 My bottle stated 11.2 ABV. Pours dark tawny mahogany w/ a medium sized semi creamy tan froth. Froth is spattered w/ tiny bubbles and reduces slowly to a fine lace and a dusty canopy. Aromas of bright, dusty, dried dark fruits w/ slight tart cherry (jolly rancher). Medium nectar w/ ample residual effers creats a creamy, velvety texture. I think the palate texture of this brew is what sets it apart. Itís amazing that an ale can feel like that. Flavors are bold w/ a mild to moderate sweetness that is quickly balanced by a peach pit bittering componant. My first sip was pure bakers cocoa. Dark, bitter and chocolatey. Very nice! There is a defined alcohol presence in the flavor profile that really kicks in on the finish. This is not offensive to me at all. Dried dark fruits like black cherry, plumb, w/ slight fig and raisons. Meaty tropshire like a well marbled Porter House steak and leather. Other nuances of chewing tobacco and dark cakebread, bakers cocoa, molasses, red grapes w/ the seeds, and caramel apple. The Cocoa lasts throughout the whole sip to the finish. This is a very warming brew. I can feel my blood temp rising in my face about my ears. The finish is bittered better than moderate with that huge alcohol goinsí onsí. Finishes w/ velety hops that linger well past midnight. Overall: this is a complex brew worthy of its reputation.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
Jmichael (640) - Asheville, North Carolina, USA - JAN 8, 2007
UPDATED: JAN 9, 2007 Bottle. Poured into a Tulip. I am lucky to have had this beer on a few occasions. My first was in Amsterdam at a bar called Gollum. It cost 12 euros, and of course was worth it. My brother drove to the abby and scored two crates of this so I now have 10 myself that I am aging. This beer is wonderful. STYLE, TASTE, AROMA, APPEARANCE, are all tops. What I like most about the beer is its mystique and its availability. You can find it, but it ainít easy. For those who canít find it get St. Bernardus, the taste is similiar enouph. And remember always pour into a Tulip....Cheers.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
JMFG (1587) - Florida, USA - JAN 4, 2007
UPDATED: APR 26, 2007 Courtesy boboski. Bottle from 2002. Poured thickly into a trappist glass with an amalgam of various dark ruby-brown colors topped with a slow moving thin off-white head. Aroma is apricot, plum, and a variety of spice notes that change by the minute. A wonderful malt base aroma compliments along with the yeast. The mouthfeel is absolutely perfect - medium in body with enough carbonation to further enhance the sensory intake of aroma and taste. The taste is spicy and warm, has clove and fruit tastes that develop as it warms and the finish has a slight tart suggestion that lingers along with the warmth. The alcohol presence is detectable only a bit after you sip. Once I had a Rochefort 10, I somehow doubted that a Westy 12 could be better, but it is. As a rater, you donít really know what the limits of aroma, taste, etc. are unitl theyíre surpassed, and this one did for me in a couple categories. Much thanks to boboski and his borderline warped sense of generosity.