overall
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3072   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.44   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
davidflores99 (225) - Long Beach, California, USA - AUG 23, 2004
Thanks to Jcalabre for this one! Even though this beer was too sweet for my liking, it was still an exceptional brew, and I can see why this beer got such a high rating. From the first sip, the flavor was instant, very sweet and fruity, with a smooth finish. These monks know what theyíre doing.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
BrockLanders (771) - Panama City, Florida, USA - AUG 22, 2004
UPDATED: JUL 31, 2006 I traded a Dreadnaught for TWO of these beauties. What a bargain for me. The aroma out of the bottle is a sweet vapory essence of chocolate & vanilla, caramel, brown sugar, coffee & cream. Port wine, raisins & plums. Addictive. Ruby brown clear (until last pour) with small lacing off-white head. One of the best mouthfeels of any beer Iíve had. Liquid velvet. Sweet & complex to start. Can taste most of the smells described above. Alcohol, too. Finish stays sweet but some mild hops introduce themselves for delicate bitterness that persists to the aftertaste. Leaves with nutty dry sweet-bitter. This beer is terrific.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
dornoy (701) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - AUG 21, 2004
UPDATED: SEP 11, 2004 Astonishing beer. The monks of Westvleteren Abbey really know their craft. The colour is noot too attractive, but its aroma makes you dream of roasted nuts, its taste fills you with joy and stays in your mouth a very long time. This beer must be enjoyed slowly and with love, like an age-olg Cognac. Too bad this jewel of a beer is so rare.: the monks voluntarily limit production. A great loss to beer drinkers!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
dbx540 (17) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - AUG 15, 2004
Bottle. The aroma is astonishing, so many differnet notes and yet so balanced. The flavor is epic, sweet sour bitter sour all in one, but yet again very balanced. Has an incredible mouthfeel, just a little sip and WHAM its all over the place. And the aftertaste is phenomenal, just keeps hanging around. Most complex beer Ive ever tasted, and it sure ranks top!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
wunderbier (1434) - Tampere, FINLAND - AUG 14, 2004
33 cL bottle, tulip. Dark bread, caramel, chocolate, nutty malt (H); dough yeast (L); grape, raisin, pear, smoke, banana aromas. Deep ruby body with an average, creamy, white head that diminishes after a short while. Heavily sweet, lightly acidic flavor becomes a heavily sweet, lightly acidic finish. Heavy body, creamy/oily texture, average carbonation, light alcohol -- not hot though. The bottom line is: Less aroma than I would like, but the flavor is incredible as is the mouthfeel. Iíd happily drink this or itís little brother. I donít know that I can pick a favorite.

Turtboy (120) - Lucasville, Ohio, USA - AUG 13, 2004
My loving wife ordered 3 bottles of Westy 12 for my birthday...what a gift it was!!! This beer had everything. A dark rich color that couldnít be seen through, a head that lasted the entire time a drank it....in a St Sixtus trappist! (she bought me the glass too!!). The flavor was outstanding with a rich chocolate/coffee mix. The aroma was divine. The finish was great with my whole body warming from the high alcohol content. The monks who make this at St. Sixtus have truly master their art. This beer is hard to come by...my wife ordered it from Belgianshop.com, which makes it even more of a treat. Iíve read many say that this beer has been over rated.....WTF....if anything it has been under-rated. If God was a drinking man, I bet he would drink this. I have two bottles left, one which i am waiting to age for a year, and the other I plan to drink on the day my first child is born...Jan. í05!!! Thank you rate beer for changing my palate and educating me on what beer truly is!!

civforprez (229) - Galesburg, Illinois, USA - AUG 11, 2004
The one major drawback to this beer for me was that the alcohol was too noticeable, and could have been better masked. Aplle was one of the more predominant flavors in the taste. I do not think this is as good as Roquefort 10, but it is quite good still.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Hojou (19) - DENMARK - AUG 10, 2004
I had great expectations for this beer, and when i finally found it in a bar i had a sore throat. Luckily i pursuaded the bartender to let me bring it back home (along with the the 8 and 6). Itís a great trappist, just like most the other trappist - i could go on about the body, finish, aroma etc. but itís all been said before. Itís way overrated though - great beer, but not my favorite.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
beerinmarch (2830) - Washington, USA - AUG 8, 2004
I finally found the westy 12, after searching for quite a while, where was it? a damn coffee shop! Anyway, quite an amazing brew, although not my all time favorite, still quite enjoyable. Dark red/brown color with a nice ivory head. Malty aroma with some nice spices, a bit of a wine like quality, and some wood smells to it. Taste was rich, complex, and malty with a strong sweetness like caramel. Some mild bitterness toward the end gave it a bit of balance and the overall smoothness of this brew was very impressive.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
YourDarkLord (1800) - Urbana, Illinois, USA - AUG 4, 2004
This is not my style of beer and, for some perverse reason, I wanted to dislike it, to be able to denigrate the icon of the beer world. Ainít gonna happen. This was awesome. When Andy (Landseer) presented me with the bottle, the absence of a label told me what was in store. The coveted Westvleteren Abt 12. It took me months just to learn how to pronounce the damned thing. And here it was. The beer that many consider the best on the planet. And it would mark my 700th rating. Poured out a hazy burgundy with a foamy, whipped cream-like beige head. The nose was complex. There was hints of berries, plums, spice, citrus, oak cask. What else? Who knows. Something different for everyone. It was smooth and creamy in the mouth. Full and rich. The warm feeling of alcohol as it went down. That esophageal warmth. Elixir. The flavor was equally complex. Vinous. Spice and fruit and sweetness and candy and bread. Each sip brought new discoveries. As the last sip went down, the only thought was, "Damn, I want more of this." And so now the quest to procure more. For this opportunity, my thanks again to Andy.