overall
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3173   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.44   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Kinnaj15 (275) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - APR 10, 2005
Black with ligth brown head. The aroma has a plesant hint of the yeast. Soft and complex taste with good long lingering complex aftertaste. I love it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
RAYBOY01 (2012) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - APR 9, 2005
UPDATED: APR 5, 2006 My new son-in-law stopped over unexpectedly, and to impress a budding beer fanatic, I popped one open to share, or so I thought...four empty bottles later we finally had to stop ourselves. But I don’t see what all the fuss is about, really!

Seriously, this is a wonderful beer. Rich chocolatey texture with dark fruits, plums, dates, raisins, and currants. Subtle alcohol notes as smooth as silk. You owe yourself the time to relax and enjoy a long leisurely sampling of this spectacular drink. Linger long with each sip, and savor it’s complexities.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Mklein818 (172) - Etterbeek, Virginia, BELGIUM - APR 7, 2005
This is a champion beer. From the bouquet to the finish, it is dark, thick, caramel-malty and deeply well balanced. It’s a bitch to get this--even in Belgium. But it’s worth it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Mungo (2471) - Southampton, Hampshire, ENGLAND - APR 7, 2005
1 Yr Old Bottle. Raisins, liquorice, malts, alcohol and raspberry. Aromas seem subtle to the point of being muted and subdued but still pleasant. Rich and sweet with a brilliant balance and less noticeable alcohol in the mouth. Light acidity and suprising hoppiness in the finish. All in all very good but not mind blowing as I might have expected - a younger sample may have been more my cup of tea, or perhaps an older one!? Either way its one to try again.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
jonsiii (165) - Fredericia, DENMARK - APR 6, 2005
Dark and super smell. Sweet and full body. Strong good finish. In my oppinion not as good as Roquefort 10 which I tried the same night.. Maybe because the beer "hype" about this beer. I’ll definitely try it again. :)~

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
DougiePhiTau (99) - USA - APR 6, 2005
My father brought this over from his last trip from england and it was my first expiernce with a full beer i tasted the alcohol right away but i was greeted with a pleasant fuit taste i was just blown away it is worth the money i want to go to europe now outstanding beer

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Sigmund (5181) - Tau, NORWAY - APR 1, 2005
330 ml bottle, bought at Pivni Galerie, Prague. Hazy dark reddish brown colour, enormous tan head. Lovely complex aroma of fruits, oak, leather and spices. Flavour is surprisingly bitter - hops of course, but also dead yeast cells? Leaves a not entirely pleasant bitter aftertaste on the back of my tongue. Elements of oak, caramel, toffee and spices. Warming mouthfeel, as expected. I much preferred the Rochefort 10 to this one.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
riordan93 (14) - USA - MAR 30, 2005
At long last, I came upon this famous brew. Fate conspired one day to bring this sacred beer to me...and, lo, I did keep it at a cool temperature until special occasions dictated a special beer. Although, it should be noted. This beer is its own special occasion. Beautiful but thin white head with some lacing on the glass. Smell was heavenly. Full-tasting and complex. I think, to be honest, I liked the Rochefort 10 over this one. But this is excellent. It is also very strong. My ears are flushed and radiating heat. Droplets of sweat are on my bald head..but, oh, this is divine.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
ThomasE (5176) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - MAR 28, 2005
Dark brown body with a thick light brown head. Aroma is malty with some fruit, yeast and alcohol. Taste is dry with lots of dark fruit and yeast. Finish has a light alcohol touch.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
hammenlind (737) - Sundbyberg, SWEDEN - MAR 28, 2005
UPDATED: AUG 4, 2005 Pours dark brown with a thick white head. Dry, fruity flavour with segments of raisin and fig. Bitter aftertaste. Some chocolate and nuts is present. A lovely beer that makes me wanna be a monk.