overall
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3137   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.44   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

Turtboy (120) - Lucasville, Ohio, USA - AUG 13, 2004
My loving wife ordered 3 bottles of Westy 12 for my birthday...what a gift it was!!! This beer had everything. A dark rich color that couldnít be seen through, a head that lasted the entire time a drank it....in a St Sixtus trappist! (she bought me the glass too!!). The flavor was outstanding with a rich chocolate/coffee mix. The aroma was divine. The finish was great with my whole body warming from the high alcohol content. The monks who make this at St. Sixtus have truly master their art. This beer is hard to come by...my wife ordered it from Belgianshop.com, which makes it even more of a treat. Iíve read many say that this beer has been over rated.....WTF....if anything it has been under-rated. If God was a drinking man, I bet he would drink this. I have two bottles left, one which i am waiting to age for a year, and the other I plan to drink on the day my first child is born...Jan. í05!!! Thank you rate beer for changing my palate and educating me on what beer truly is!!

civforprez (229) - Galesburg, Illinois, USA - AUG 11, 2004
The one major drawback to this beer for me was that the alcohol was too noticeable, and could have been better masked. Aplle was one of the more predominant flavors in the taste. I do not think this is as good as Roquefort 10, but it is quite good still.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Hojou (19) - DENMARK - AUG 10, 2004
I had great expectations for this beer, and when i finally found it in a bar i had a sore throat. Luckily i pursuaded the bartender to let me bring it back home (along with the the 8 and 6). Itís a great trappist, just like most the other trappist - i could go on about the body, finish, aroma etc. but itís all been said before. Itís way overrated though - great beer, but not my favorite.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
beerinmarch (2830) - Washington, USA - AUG 8, 2004
I finally found the westy 12, after searching for quite a while, where was it? a damn coffee shop! Anyway, quite an amazing brew, although not my all time favorite, still quite enjoyable. Dark red/brown color with a nice ivory head. Malty aroma with some nice spices, a bit of a wine like quality, and some wood smells to it. Taste was rich, complex, and malty with a strong sweetness like caramel. Some mild bitterness toward the end gave it a bit of balance and the overall smoothness of this brew was very impressive.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
YourDarkLord (1800) - Urbana, Illinois, USA - AUG 4, 2004
This is not my style of beer and, for some perverse reason, I wanted to dislike it, to be able to denigrate the icon of the beer world. Ainít gonna happen. This was awesome. When Andy (Landseer) presented me with the bottle, the absence of a label told me what was in store. The coveted Westvleteren Abt 12. It took me months just to learn how to pronounce the damned thing. And here it was. The beer that many consider the best on the planet. And it would mark my 700th rating. Poured out a hazy burgundy with a foamy, whipped cream-like beige head. The nose was complex. There was hints of berries, plums, spice, citrus, oak cask. What else? Who knows. Something different for everyone. It was smooth and creamy in the mouth. Full and rich. The warm feeling of alcohol as it went down. That esophageal warmth. Elixir. The flavor was equally complex. Vinous. Spice and fruit and sweetness and candy and bread. Each sip brought new discoveries. As the last sip went down, the only thought was, "Damn, I want more of this." And so now the quest to procure more. For this opportunity, my thanks again to Andy.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
heemer77 (5101) - Urbandale, Iowa, USA - AUG 2, 2004
UPDATED: APR 9, 2005 Very dark and cloudy. Large, thick and light tan colored head. The aromas of peaches and alcohol were the first out of the bottle. Then, I detected notes of bitter-sweet chocolate and raisin bread. When you first take a drink, it is warm, spicy, fruity and sweet all at the same time. The flavors change with each drink as other world class beers that I have tried. Notes of apples and ginger are balanced with bread and a spicy, peppery finish. The alcohol is very well hidden. The aftertaste is also interesting with a little bubblegum and overripe banana. The aftertaste is strangely sour. I think that this detracts a little from an otherwise excellent brew. I would like to try a more aged example. I have had a more aged example and was not as impressed. Fruits and spicing are still detected, but the beer had also lost some body and life. Just the slightest hint of oxidation. I followed this with excellent St. Bernardus 12 this time, the Westy is still the superior beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
mongkut4 (132) - Florida, USA - AUG 2, 2004
Well, now I can say Iíve tried one of the rarest beers to be seen outside of Belgium. Was it the best Iíve ever tasted? Not quite. Very good, certainly. One of the best quads Iíve had, just not necessarily what I would consider the best beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Dixen (1465) - Flagstaff, Arizona, USA - AUG 2, 2004
Aight! So here we got the Westy 12... onderful aroma, so comples, sweet fruits, yeast, chocolate, like a dessert liquor, some smoke. Pours very nice too, dark brown, muddy, with a medium tan head, whcih do not last so long. So much going on in the flavor, sweetness, dark fruits, chocolate, some bitterness like in an espresso, very complex, a nice alcohol burn in the end. Very subtle beer and very balanced. Like liquid candy!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
maeib (8726) - Wootton, Northampton, Northamptonshire, ENGLAND - JUL 31, 2004
UPDATED: OCT 16, 2011 Bottled. Date on cap 28/10/06. Itís very hard to rate the number one ranked beer in the World. Should we expect it to be the best beer we have ever tasted? Should we be over-critical expecting an experience to beat any other, thus meaning any imperfections will lower our markings? I have tried to be fair to the beer in my points and my comments, but it is difficult. The aroma is malty, fruity and cakey. The appearance is a lovely dark nutty brown with a thick long-lasting tan coloured head and great lacing (Served in an Orval glass). The taste is yeasty, thick, chewy alcoholic and very warming, and the aftertaste is very long-lasting. I enjoyed the experience drinking what is obviously an excellent beer but didnít get any outstanding characteristics which are present in Rochefort 10. Iím not going to say the beer is overrated as that would be a criticism of my fellow raters, but I think Iím fair in saying that for me the beer was only deserving of just over an overall 4. Score 4.1
Subsequent rating scored 4.3. Average becomes 4.2

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
nickchalk (229) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JUL 26, 2004
UPDATED: AUG 6, 2009 One beautiful looking beer; pours a perfect head, off-white, and is dark black with red highlights. Aroma is yeasty (though a bit subdued) spicy, raisins and brandy. Flavour is nutty, powerful, notes of berries and dark pruney things. Transition to a bitter finish. The palate is exceptional. Thick, but incredibly smooth. Great beer for number 200.