overall
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3134   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.44   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
TheDean (786) - MIlwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 8, 2004
This is a great beer, but I have to believe it is somewhat overrated. Actually, the more I have of this, the better it gets. Not bad, but I?ve had better that are ranked lower.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
JK (4433) - St. Louis Park, Minnesota, USA - MAY 8, 2004
UPDATED: OCT 27, 2007 Rerate 1/12/2007. More complex than I remember it. This bottle had an "05" on the cap; Iím not sure if that is the "best by" date or not but if this was old, it has aged very well. The alcohol is completely hidden. The aroma is full with plums, oranges, sweet white wine. Flavor is outstanding as well. Lots of sweet malt, and more fruit. There is a vinous quality, some yeast, wheat, fermenting fruits, apple. Cloudy brown appearance, not much of a head and low carbonation. When the bottle is held up to the light, I can see the sediment. When in the glass it is too dark and murky to see any sediment. Thick and heavy palate. I had this bottle so long I almost didnít want to drink it, but Iím happy a few other people had the opportunity to try it. --------&# beer is too complex to do the rating justice from my first bottle. Aromas of malt, coffee, tea, and flowers. Dark brown, a huge white head, and brown sediment. Flavors of coffee, malt, and an herbal taste. Full bodied, but less so than I expected. Very smooth and easy to drink; the high abv is not noticeable in the taste. A very fine beer.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
hopdog (8940) - Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 6, 2004
UPDATED: JAN 15, 2005 From my tasting notes (tasted on 1/14/04); How lucky was I to find a case of this in PA. Expensive ($160/case but well worth it). I bought the case 2 years ago and these tasting notes were on my last one. Poured a beautiful dark mahagony with a small tan head. Initial aromas of maple syrup, brown sugar, molasses and fruits.Soft tastes (sugar, fruits, molasses, prunes, dates, so many tastes coming thru). Alcohol content well hidden. I canít say/put into words the depth and greatness of this beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Sully (1377) - Potts Point, New South Wales, AUSTRALIA - MAY 2, 2004
Now is the time. This is number 666, and what better beer than this to be rated on the devilís number? I have had Duvel, as well as Lucifer. Old Nick doesnít make much of an appearance in these parts and so I am left to deal with this one. Why? Read most of the reviews and you will see that this is described as heavenly, as angels crying on the tongue, as a beer made in heaven, as a religious experience made holy by the dedicated men of the cloth who produce this unctuous brew. So I pour this into two small Chimay glasses, as this should rarely be a beer that is savoured on oneís own. In fact my colleague in taste was one who is unique amongst the Ratebeer community. My 18 year old son, of legal age in these latitudes was the willing fellow supplicant in the search for the beer nirvana. Aware of the beerís standing he treated it with reverence in a way that belies his youthful years. And so it came to pass. Said I, let us exorcise the demons so often worshipped when the meter ticks over to beer 666. Two pours were taken, the first without the sediment so that the rich and bright body of the beer could be noted. A deep and lustrous copper hue with creamy head presented itself. And then it was left to settle. For a respectful period of time. From the nose came a potpourri of flavours, plums, grapes and subtle hop aromas. The initial flavour to greet the tastembuds was the intense frutiness from the nose combined with an equally intense breadiness and clear alcoholic mouthfeel. To state it is warming is an understatment but to also state it is the most amazing beer ever is, regrettably, an overstatement. Hell, itís great alright, but it just doesnít put my head into a 360 degree spin either. The devil is cast out, but there could be a chance of his return. Thanks to you Brother Spiesy for delivering this for my holy consumption.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Pigfoot (2268) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - MAY 2, 2004
Appearance: deep, dark burgundy brown, rich as a raisin, with a fine reddish hue íround the edges. Head is towering, huge, off-whitish color, and slow to sizzle down to size. Aroma:....requires a new vocabulary! Deep, and heady, rich, full of fruit, grapes, raisins, plums, and spices, a very complex blend, soft, but sensual, deliriously so, and delicious, and the more I breathe it in, the more the flavors become pronounced, more is revealed here, pepper, anise, rich mollasses, rum, sweetness compounded by rich dark flavors... Now to drink...I...um...serious contemplation is required, for I am seriously, honestly, taken aback by the force of, not only the alcoholic content, but the strong, full, bewitching flavor of this incredible ale! It staggers the senses! Honestly, I reel from itís effects and must wait until my consciousness can comprehend what is going on...many layers, many flavors, many ways that this incredible concoction can impact upon the senses. I feel thoroughly slayed, laid waste, but utterly uplifted in my oblivion! Let the sword fall upon me more often, if the taste is as sweet! Have I said heavenly already? No matter if I did, itís a truly transmogrific feeling, it is, and I could be in another galaxy, for all I care...fly me not to the moon, nor Jupiter, or the outer stars, but, merely wherever this impossibly exhilirating nectar may blossom... Now that I have finally downed a simple sample of this much renowned ale, I can only say..."more, please!"

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
awaller05 (305) - Sharon, Wisconsin, USA - APR 29, 2004
Smell was nutty, almost reminded me of a brown ale. The pour was a cloudy reddish brown with decent head. Taste was addictive and best decribed as a sweet hoppish taste. drank the glass way to quick and wish I had another to taste.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
shadey (1897) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - APR 27, 2004
Looks great after pouring into the proper glass. Taste was good, but for much cheaper I can get other great Belgian beers. I know its good, but I have to pay $13 a bottle for this stuff around here.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
MullMan (1099) - New Jersey, USA - APR 27, 2004
I was a skeptic after the abt 8, but now I'm reformed. rich bready pale tan head, some larger bubbles pushing through the surface. firm lacing all along the rim of my westy glass. very cloudy brown/yellow/gold color with thick yeast particles. fizzy mouthfeel, light strike of unique yeast, not so sweet. head has great staying power with peaks remaining. warming. . light vinuous and raisin nose. next, raisin bread nose!! warmer, dried apples nose and flavor. more sweetness arrives, but still extremely well balanced with mild malt and hop. alcohol plays off every flavor at the wide range of temperatures. lacing forms every time I grab the glass. now it's empty. Noooooo!!!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
axilla (962) - New Providence, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 25, 2004
Poured a murky dark brown color. Very thick looking brew with a thick tan head. Sweet fruit aroma, raisins, berries, apples. Same fruit taste present in the taste with a slightly nutty flavor. Slight alcohol burn. Very creamy mouthfeel. A most excellent experience

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
fly (1417) - austin, Tejas, Alabama, USA - APR 23, 2004
Where to begin? Where to begin? When the "what makes you nervous on a label?" post came up I put this one down. Guessing that many if not most figured I was just being silly. No, I was actually intimidated. Not that I don't feel I know my beers, but when you stray from the overall opinion, not to mention the highly touted raters, you risk being ostracized. Been there, done that. At least I can say with conviction that I did indeed enjoy this. Rather incredible in so many aspects as has been noted in page after page of notes. But be it the lack of refinement of my pallet or ever continuing sinus problems, I did not get the awe inspiring complexity. What I did get is what had eluded me in other references, that being what "tobacco" means in flavor. I damn near felt that a Cohiba or even better Cuban cigar had been sent my way in liquid form. Throughout it became almost TOO much. At least it is extremely pleasant as there were the other flavors and sweetness of malt, etc. And I was sad as he glass neared being empty. Always a sign of a great beer when I stare at bottle and glass with sad puppy eyes whining so that some will reappear as I invert the bottle to let minuscule drops come ever slower so that I can pretend to be savoring the experience just a tad longer. And to make it all the more a holy experience, the bottle was sent as a gift from krisbierjaeger. THANK YOU, my friend. I will cherish the memory as I attempt to come into possession of another so as to see what will happen if I can manage to wait long enough to let it AGE.