overall
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3121   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.44   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
becksgenius (110) - Illinois, USA - JAN 23, 2004
Amazing, but nothing to write poetry about like some of the folks here. strong hints of plum, chocolate, licorice.....i am starting to wonder how they fit all this in that 11.2 oz bottle?

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
notalush (4837) - Denver, Colorado, USA - JAN 21, 2004
Dark amber/crimson, high carbonation, lots of floaties - aroma of port, cherries, yeast - flavors of aspartame, chocolate, dates, raisins - surprising hop character for a trappist ale - this is pretty tasty, but something seems out of balance - to me, this doesn't live up to the hype - I actually think the 8 is better.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
ace1317 (4) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - JAN 21, 2004 does not count
Lives up to expectations. Good appearance, and incredibly complex aroma and flavor. I prefer the 8 though, as the complexity is slightly masked by the high abv.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
WabashMan (1012) - Noblesville, Indiana, USA - JAN 3, 2004
UPDATED: JAN 4, 2004 Have you ever heard a pianist play a wonderful piece of music and they play it technically perfect but it just seems to lack emotion or soul? For me, that sums up this beer nicely. There's no question it's well made and really very good, so my comments are primarily directed toward this beer being "the best." It's very nice, but lacks some special quality to make it "the best" to me. Anyway, a nice dark burgundy color with lots of visible sediment and a somewhat thin light tan head start this highly anticipated brew. The nose is light with lots of rich fruits. I could swear there's a hint of chocolate raspberry truffles, as well as other fruits. The flavor of this beer is also quite nice! More dark fruits abound and a nicely balanced hop bitterness that begins subtly and ends magnificently as the beer fades into a vineous alcohol warmth. I can certainly see why so many believe this to be the best beer in the world, and it certainly ranks among my favorites, ESPECIALLY among Belgians, but it still seems there's something missing to match all the hype.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
presario (4611) - Stampede City, Alberta, CANADA - JAN 1, 2004
UPDATED: AUG 18, 2005 Very very smooth. Best before 2006. Alcohol is almost not noticeable. You could be hammered before you knew it. Looking forward to next trying an aged version. Cinnamon and light pepper quality. If this is the model Unibroue et al use they need to keep working to catch up. Aroma was the lowest quality of the beer. Aroma moderated after a few minutes. Dark colour, even a little head.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
omnivore (270) - San Francisco, California, USA - DEC 31, 2003
The color is a gloomy golden brown with barely any head to it. The armoa is overpoweringly sweet, with hints of maple and alcohol. This hits your tongue like air. There's very little flavor at first, then it settles in with a malty alcohol flavor with hints of citrus that spreads across your tongue like honey oozing across a spoon. Precious.

mrkimchee (1414) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - DEC 30, 2003
what can I say about this beer that hasn't been said before? plenty:

my first beer of the evening, alone at home. I'd been looking forward to this for weeks. I'd been saving it for quite some time and I was finally going to have my bottle of westy 12. I opened the bottle and poured the beer into a glass. the lights dimmed, "that's funny..." I thought and went up to check the light switch - nothing wrong. I heard a voice from behind me, it said "we've been expecting you jesse, you're late." I turned around and floating above the glass was a loaf of dark bread, a box of raisins, a bar of bakers chocolate, toffee, plums and apples dancing around a tree. "what the hell?!?" I said. then the loaf of bread punched me in the face and knocked me out.

when I came to I was in my chair, but not at home. I looked around me and saw I was flying through a hazy brown tunnel. "what's going on?" I said to myself. a voice that sounded powerful, yet soft said "...we are westy...we mean you no harm...we only wish to show you something..." we started moving faster and I shut my eyes, we seemed to go on forever, then suddenly we stopped and I heard loud music. I opened my eyes and saw myself, sitting with a friend in a bar. I was younger(and thinner). I wondered where I was. I looked around and realized I had gone back in time. it was 1997 and I was in montreal for the jazz festival. we were at the peel pub, I remember they had $5 pitchers between 3-7pm and my friend and I were starting a bit of a piss up before the night began. "what on earth am I being shown here?" I thought to myself, then I heard my friend say "my uncle said we should try this beer..." I looked at what we ordered and it was blanche de chambly. I heard my self say "wow. beer can actually taste good." I smiled as the words echoed in my mind. I stood there looking at myself having a revelation. everything faded to hazy brown one more time.

I woke up in my chair in my living room with an empty chalice in my hand and a warm feeling in my stomach. this beer reminded me of why I fell in love with belgian beer, my first love. totally worth all the hype and compliments it gets. thanks westy.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
haddon90 (1453) - Denver, Colorado, USA - DEC 29, 2003
Complex beer. I was hoping this would blow me away but it didn't. Still a good brew though. I was impressed by the complexity of the aroma and flavor. Creamy, spicy, and fruity in both the aroma and the flavor. Medium bodied and finished off well. Not the best in my opinion, but still really good.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
whaleman (2178) - North Wales, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 26, 2003
UPDATED: JUL 28, 2007 A gorgeous beer with extraordinary complexity and extraordinary smoothness. Adjectives only eviscerate this beer. This is the real deal. Somewhat variable, but when itís on, itís really on and includes gorgeous soft and supple balsamic vinegar notes plus deeply rendered malt, and a very pleasant yeast profile.

kujo9 (1093) - North Ridgeville, Ohio, USA - DEC 26, 2003
First of all, props to Slikwily for the 1999 bottle of this beer for the Secret Santa. I was surprised that is had a very small light beigish head, but I'm guessing it was knocked down by the alcohol; the body is a nice even coppery brown color. Wow! What a plethora of aromas to be taken in all at once. "Do you know what a plethora is?" Malty, bready, yeasty, apple juice, raisins, a light malt whiskey, hints of buttery oak and caramel. Plums and raisiny malt flavor start things off, then caramel and dates! It's very well balanced with a malty finish; the aftertaste is malty smooth with a light roastiness. A little woody flavor and light hop flavor makes their way into the finish as well, as well as a hint of vanilla. I'm still waiting for the alcohol to show up! Very smooth mouthfeel, so smooth it's only lightly warming and has a full body with low carbonation. Also probably another reason for no head. Merry Christmas to me!!!!! Again, thank you Slikwily for this phenomenal beer! I think someone forgot to tell those monks to put alcohol in this because it is barely noticeable making this a very dangerously drinkable beer. In the immortal words of Ferris Beuhler, "if you have the means, I highly recommend it, it is so choice!"