overall
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3257   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.44   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
MiP (13836) - Sønderborg, DENMARK - DEC 15, 2004
UPDATED: JUN 9, 2013 Bottle. Very dark brown colour. Creamy tan head. Very full flavour, peppery and malty. Nice smooth mouthfeel. 15 Dec 2004. 5 4 8 4 17

Bottle, 10.2%. Weak bready aroma. Cloudy dark brown colour. Big stable light brown head. The flavour is sweet and bready with a lot of brown sugar, some marzipan and a rather high bitterness. Mild carbonation and good mouthfeel. A little boozy finish. 7 3 7 3 18

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
pintocb (646) - Darsville, Georgia, USA - DEC 11, 2004
Wow. I have had the other four Trappist beers and have read tons of hoopla online about the Westy...I was a little dissapointed. Not my favorite beer in the world. That being said, it was great. Lots of raisins, banana and some other fruit mixed in. I couldn’t tell it was over 10% abv. Great beer, but I like some of the Fantome beers better.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
pineypower (2579) - Pine Barrens, New Jersey, USA - DEC 5, 2004
UPDATED: APR 20, 2008 Ok, so I went for it, got done with a long project so I had to celebrate. Once again I was like a little kid at Christmas. Pours out a nice deep brown color with a decent sized white head. The aroma is amazing, with complex fruits and sweet spice. The taste is almost godly. There is such complexity I have no idea how they pull it off. It has a nice bananna flavor with other more subtle notes of spice, fruits and brown sugar, with slight yeast and a tiny little note of hops. Awesome brew, I can’t wait to have an aged one of these.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Hairofthedog (419) - San Diego, California, USA - DEC 5, 2004
Caramel and toast aromas w/ a buttery crispness and sweetness. Deep brown w/ gold highlights, okay head and slight lacing. Caramel apple sweetness and spice w/ hints of honey and orange. Light and dry w/ minor effervesence.

TorbenH (892) - Frederikshavn, DENMARK - DEC 3, 2004
Absolutely wonderful! The best beer in the world. Well worth the price. Supernatural

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Hunsell (400) - Amsterdam, NETHERLANDS - DEC 2, 2004
Faint aroma. I couldn’t help it, I was quite disappointed by the smell, but the taste of this is excellent. Very sweet, but the complexity never makes it cloying. So many fruits in this.. Excellent brew, but is this the best in the world? I can imagine this being to sweet for me on some days, I’d rather have a Rochefort 10 then...

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
walleye (1066) - Sterling Heights, Michigan, USA - NOV 29, 2004
sat 11/27/04 at Kuhnhenns with flemdawg and clark v v who brought this wonderful bottle to share. redmosquito was and one of the kuhnhenn brothers where at the table to. poured a rich brown with a light tan head.aroma got a nice hit of alcohol, than came the malts, caramels, honey, cherry, and some apple. flavor, didn’t want to swallow this , the creamy smoothness of this beer was great. got malts, caramel alcohol, honey, raisins, chocolate or maybe chocolate covered raisins.this is only the 3rd bottle I have seen I know flemdawg has got one so maybe in the middle of the night under the civer of darkness I’ll see if I can get it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
redmosquito (172) - Sterling Heights, Michigan, USA - NOV 27, 2004
UPDATED: NOV 30, 2004 Coppery amber in color with an off white head and a little cloudy yeast sediment. Interesting aroma, definite alcohol smell, then a wine like aroma, oakey yet it still has some creamy malt fragrance. Alcohol warms as I taste this, malt sweetness dominates, nutty, caramelly, and creamy vanilla in the finish. The beer sits on the tongue and lingers with a warm malt creaminess. This is a great beer, the only thing keeping this from being a daily beer is the availability. Thanks ClarkVV for letting me try this.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
kook (2033) - Perth, Western Australia, AUSTRALIA - NOV 25, 2004
UPDATED: DEC 5, 2004 Raisins, dark fruit, liquorice, chocolate, spice, prune, caramel. Nomatter how many times you smell this beer you can keep picking up new aromas! Black with a tan head. Chocolate sweet raisins, spice, fruitcake, caramel, berries, amazing. Cannot taste alcohol at all. Soft silky mouthfeel. Amazing stuff. I have to try this again! cheers duff!! Re-Rate: Black/dark brown with a tan lasting head. Not much more to add apart from "The worlds best session beer. Cannot detect alcohol. +1 appearance too.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Anton (1) - BELGIUM - NOV 24, 2004 does not count
I really liked this beer. I think. (That’s because I drank five of them and i only weigh sixty kilos.)