overall
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3108   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.44   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

redlem (1301) - Ohio, USA - AUG 27, 2003
A caramel country oak color with a fizzy tan head. Oak aroma with vanilla, lake water, alcohol, roasted malts and pepper. Taste is woody, alcohol, spicey. I thought it was good but was not knocked off my feet by it.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Aesir (130) - Tustin, California, USA - AUG 27, 2003
UPDATED: MAY 7, 2005 I’ve only had one bottle, but it was a great beer. There are others more qualified to describe it, but if I had to describe one of the flavors that jumped out at me, it would be the fruity charactistics that come out. Quite interesting. Now if they would just start serving this on tap at Cletis’ Saloon/Topless bar/Bail bonds/Gun store I would never have to go to another place of business...

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
winterlager (101) - Orchard Park, New York, USA - AUG 22, 2003
Pours a deep redish burgandy...with a nice supple head. Strong sweet aroma. First taste you get a sweet rich fruit taste...very sweet grape and a little vanilla hint. This is one amazing tasting beer. So smooth each sip can be savored to get the distinctive flavors that run across your tongue leaving you smile and just amazed by this beer!

egajdzis (5299) - Spring Mount, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 21, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 18, 2007 [3 - 7 year old bottle rating] This immaculate elixir poured a beautiful cloudy brown color with a medium tan head. Roma was that of dark fruits such as grapes and plums. It had a creamy mouthfeel and a sweet vanilla, fruity but at the same time nutty and slightly chocolately taste. Slight alcohol burn as the beer warmed up. Calling this a beer is an understatement, more like heaven!
15 - 20 yrs of age puts this beer past it’s peak.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
MAP (1133) - Lakewood, Ohio, USA - AUG 20, 2003
UPDATED: JUN 5, 2009 Nice dark ice tea appearance, and some nice cream head topping it off. Smell is sweet with hints of apple and other fruits. Alcohol is almost not apparent in the flavor, which is very balanced. There is the first initial hop taste, then a very complex mouth feel. There is a a bittersweet quality to this one for me however: I finally got to drink it, but I was supposed to drink it with my brother, who is now en route to China...

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Radek Kliber (6386) - Toronto (Can) Krotoszyn (Pol), POLAND - AUG 17, 2003
This was very good choice for my 1107 . I am the 304th to rate . Well let see if the wait was worth it . I shall review this beer same way as I did to all of my previous ones. Westy looked quiet decent with its creamy white head. Aroma -it reminded me of the bark from centuries old pine trees that grow south of Krotoszyn. Not a surprise to anyone that malt (roasted no to darkly) used was also one the best. Slightly sweet, and alcoholic in finish. If you think that Zywiec Porter with its 9.5 % was drinkable what a surprise was to see 10 % brew to be event smoother. Very clean, well executed, made beer. True masterkraft

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
krisbierjaeger (844) - dolores, Colorado, USA - AUG 16, 2003
i'm sure many of you must KNOW what i've gone through: i've fretted, worried and mooned over my bottle for months now; she came in the mail from england, just after three p.m. on the fourteenth of february. little westy weighed in two pounds four onces-- with all the frilly packaging. people said she looks like me, but they're just being nice, oh, she's just beautiful. we'd been, you know-- trying --for years to get one, but no luck; we were just about to give up when this miracle happened. given up for adoption, the silktork agency paid to have her sent to me--and i'll love her as if i brewed her myself! when we heard she was coming i got busy and fixed up the spare shelf in the refrigerator: painted it bottle brown with cute silly little monks dancing around. brought her home from the mailbox and everyone was over and we had cake and took video and everything, gosh, and then put her in her little coverlet, checked the temperture, made it all snug-wuggy and cozy, i kissed the diminutive palm-tree on her cap, and closed the door... and waited. for what, i don't know. weeks went by. sometimes i'd go out and just check on her, and stroke that darling little label-less brown glass cylinder. i'd heft it like i was going to drink it, haw-haw like a pirate, and then feel guilty--(why?! oh, WHY?!?)--and i'd put her back down, smooth the covers and feel bad and maybe just go drink a bass or something. i just couldn't bring myself to sully this magnificent bounty by sucking it's lifeblood and sending it through my carnal, undeserving and corpulent body! but the moon was full, i was writhing and wincing like a werewolf tonight under the spell of that hypnotic bottle. i crept out to the fridge, trembling with nearly erotic anticipation and experiencing frightful inner-conflict. but this time the bottle wasn't dormant, but standing and radiant, and then she spoke her first words: "do me, stud!" hallelujah! my time is at hand! this wanton extravagance blesses a snifter with oak-barrel ochre hues, ruddy at the core. head was the buffy tan of sparrow down, thick as a queen's mattress and with lace billowing downward in the most regal self-assured gothic lacing. jewels of yeast within the pour are practically as collectable as moon rocks-- so celebrated is this beer. as each swirl writes a chapter of lacy elfin script, the nose speaks it's own tongue: alcohol and vanilla, vienna roast coffee, with caramel cream, dijon mustard, and the honied perfume of aphrodite's hair, drying on the bee-buzzing summer lawns of nirvana. at fifty cents a sip, i decided to name each sip after great heros of the bible, alphabetically. from abraham through adam and onto amos, i was already slave-like to the spell, the apple-strudel spiciness had made me dizzy, while the bitterness had sculpted my tongue like a yielding slab of marble under the loving and deliberate blows of michalangelo's hammer. sweet malts of fruit finally dominate an otherwise perfect balance; alcohol too well hidden because it was over too quickly. i considered breaking the bottle to lick the damp insides of each shard. yes, call me a cork in the current of peer-pressure, yet i fully and willingly succumb to the hype of my mentors, and hereby write my own hyperbole onto the tablet of ratebeer tasting. i must concur that the drink is in intimate proximity to perfection-- at least as far as we mortals are allowed to know.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Kasteelfreak (341) - Fallbrook, California, USA - AUG 15, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 26, 2003 Appearance is awesome. It looks like there's a moist yet fluffy cloud floating on it. Quite a bit of yeasties in the bottle. Taste is kind of like Kasteel with the candi sugar. Westvleteren is less sweet with a ton of complexity. Balance is perfect. Taste lingers and takes you for a ride. Various images come pop up in my head while drinking this. I need about 20oz. more to decipher what's going on here. Very worldly and mysterious. Something that a U.S. brewery has not been able to duplicate. Worthy of it's # 1 status. Even if this style is not your favorite, you will still know it is very good.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
CapFlu (4493) - Victoria, British Columbia, CANADA - AUG 10, 2003
(33cl bottle) Deep brown body with an almond head. Strong nose, brown malt and vanilla. Complexity that reaches the center of the Earth. Malty, tones of vanilla, prunes. Sweet and delicious. Finishes as everything you'd imagine!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
heykevin (1274) - Decorah, Iowa, USA - AUG 9, 2003
Deep amber with a billowing creamy head. Sweet malty aroma, with loads of dark fruits. Luxuriously sweet maltiness with light sherry notes. Deep profound bitterness is quite beautiful. Not overly complex in my opinion, but a work of art nonetheless.