overall
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3085   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.44   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Thisted (9) - Skarrild, DENMARK - MAY 26, 2003 does not count
The best ever trappist-beer. It has fruits, nuts and chocolate and a lot of warmth from the alcohol. It has a fantastic head and a beautiful color.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Caton (160) - Sydney, AUSTRALIA - MAY 16, 2003
Very, very good, chocolate pudding nose, and slightly sweet smell, malty is the word, and smooth (especially for 10.8%), lots of fruit, and chocolate, but i think the alcohol does shine through in the finish. But a very good experience, distinct candy sugar flavour, as with the other 2 Westy beers.

Ednolb (17) - BELGIUM - MAY 15, 2003
This beer is hard to come by. But it's worth searching for it. This beer is simply incredible. Perfect appearance with a nice, slightly brown head. Complex taste with hints of port and raisins. The aroma is very sweet. Every time I drank of this beer it was an amazing exprecience, but at the same time I felt really sorry because I had less beer in my glass...

Wrath (362) - Valparaiso, Indiana, USA - MAY 12, 2003
This was the beer I picked to be beer 100.I had Trois Pistoles for number 99 which is a outstanding beer. Westy #12 is truly outstanding. A super complex beer with many flavors,(toffee,chocolate,raisins and even more).Ruby red in color with a huge white head. Extremely smooth for a 10.8%.The finish is stunning as it warms your every bone.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Frank (2781) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAY 11, 2003
UPDATED: MAY 25, 2005 Deep garnet red. So murky with haze as to be nearly opaque. Huge off-white head. A full quarter inch lasts until the end of the glass. Aroma is mild at first but becomes stronger with each sip--some grassy notes bread, plumbs, raisins. Slightly sweet front. Notes of brown sugar, molasses and dried fruits--an intensely complex combination of sweet flavors. Flavor changes dramatically as it moves across the tongue. Full round mouthfeel. Slightly sticky. Alcohol is slightly present in the aroma and finish but well hidden. Perfect carbonation. Candi sugar softness. The best beer ever? No. Delicious? Yes.

clvand0 (350) - Lexington, Kentucky, USA - MAY 10, 2003
The beer gods have smiled down upon this brewery. Absolutely the most satisfying beer that I have ever tasted. It pours a dark and murky brown with hints of red and an impressively large head that dies down quickly. The aroma reminded me of a barley wine with a lot of fruity scents and a hint of alcohol (I'm not a fan of Barley Wines, so I was hesitant). The flavor was incredibly complex. The flavor is so incredibly smooth that I was in shock (considering the aroma) I think I notice a hint of chocolate in the taste as well as some different fruits and a couple spices. The mouthfeel of this beer is extremely smooth and satisfying. I could drink this beer all night long - although I'd probably not last more than three because of the alcohol. Again, this is THE best beer I've ever had and I would recommend it to anyone regardless of the $8 per bottle price.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Shag (2585) - Chattanooga, Tennessee, USA - MAY 9, 2003
UPDATED: JUL 4, 2006 Aroma is of pears, spices, and alcohol. Apperance is brown with a ruby tint. Flavor could best be summarized in a 12 page essay after no less than 20 different samplings, but considering the limited space I will do a brief summary....Chocolate covered raisins, darker fruit is present maybe plums or dates, caramel, and other things I cant pick apart very easily. Its like trying to pick out every single instrument in a symphony. It goes down smooth with an alcohol warming effect. This would be an excellent way to warm up on a cold night. Palate is spicy, fruit filled, and tingly. Im a hophead by nature but for this style of beer, by god, you cant and wont go wrong. Go to whatever means to obtain this beer!

Eirikur (369) - hafnarfjordur, ICELAND - MAY 8, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 22, 2003 Very nice brew, I was actually a bit surprised to taste the hopps in the aftertaste, it was a surprised, I just wasnt excpecting it. Im gonna order some of these soon from Belgium.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Sven (229) - Lancaster, California, USA - MAY 8, 2003
Fantastic head, lacing, and carbonation. Try as I might though, I had a lot of floaties in my glass. Ambrosial aroma. I think maybe the most complex smelling beer I have had. However, the mouthfeel was desperately lacking with almost no body and a thin, feeble texture. The flavor was vacuous compared to the aroma and nothing like I was expecting from this distinguished beer that does not live up to it's hype. Try a Unibroue 11 or Epluche-Culotte instead.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
CaptainCougar (7129) - Columbia, Maryland, USA - MAY 6, 2003
UPDATED: JUL 2, 2007 Bottled on 9/7/2001 sampled 3/2/04: Cloudy brown with some sediment and a nice lacing head. Big caramel complex malty aroma. Bready sweet body has some dark fruit complexity and crisp dry balance. Hides its alcohol well. A nice beer, but I still prefer the Westy 8 or Rochefort 10.

5/6/2003: Pours a murky dark brown with a thin, lightly lacing head. Musty wood and malt aroma with notes of alcohol. Light chocolate flavor with some caramel and a moderately bitter finish. Silky, effervescent body terminates with a soft alcoholic burn. This is a good Belgain ale, but I was not as impressed with it as its rating shows. I guess you come to expect a lot out of the highest rated beer on the site.