overall
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3224   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.44   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
adwoan99 (244) - Ft. Worth, Texas, USA - OCT 19, 2003
Dammit. I love this beer. I drank this beer out of my Westie glass. This is my favourite beer. It was my favourite glass. Alas, the glass is no more. I dropped it, and it shattered into a million pieces. Kind of like my heart felt, as it slipped from my fingers. Anyways, very large, bready head. Musty, bready, mature aroma. Very peppery, spicy flavor, with some cherry, and alcohol is definitely present.

snoot (286) - Anaheim, California, USA - OCT 17, 2003
Mahogany brown, nice head and lacing. Ripened dark fruits (plums and dark berries) and port in the aroma, incredibly complex flavor that somehow hides the 10% alcohol. Perfect. Thanks to Gerdy555 for this one!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
CEZ (399) - Milano, ITALY - OCT 17, 2003
What I like about Westvleteren brews is the fact that I drink them to celebrate AC Milan's victories. This one was purchased before the derby (Inter Milan vs. AC Milan) and opened after the match, in order to celebrate another glorious 3-1 win. ^__^ It's hard to "rate" a legend without being influenced by its status; anyway, this is indeed one of the best belgian beers I have tried, and its fame is obviously well earned. Huge, mountain-shaped head, almost solid, leaving a fantastic lace over a deep garnet, hazy body. Lively carbonation, with a perlage of tiny bubbles all around the glass. A joy for the eyes. Caramel, ripe fruit, raisinis, brandy and something yeasty in the aroma. The taste is full, rich and balanced; gets dry and nearly bitter (almonds?) in the finish. Very long and hoppy aftertaste. Full, creamy body. More complex and thicker than the Westvleteren 8, a bit less drinkable, due also to the higher ABV percentage.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
BrianO (138) - Ambler, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 16, 2003
UPDATED: JAN 31, 2005 Amber/brown color with creamy head. Have some floaties but I can live with that. Aroma is of dark fruit, toffee, yeast, and a hint of alcohol. Has nice flavors very distinctive from other beers. Toffee flavor, very sweet with a spicy finish. I detect a woodiness too. Humm?? Bready characteristic and very warming(if only it was cold outside and I had a fireplace). A soft mouthfeel. Very good, just a little too expensive.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
tsarman (794) - Northern, New Jersey, USA - OCT 16, 2003
I must admit, its quite good. But I feel that most people only talk it up cause its so expensive and hard to get. Not that much different from a St. Bernardus or even a Chimay Bleu. Good, of course.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
BeanDip (117) - Florida, USA - OCT 15, 2003
UPDATED: OCT 21, 2006 Dark muddy brown with lots of floaters. Off-white creamy head. Fruity, nutty and spice aroma. Hint of alcohol. Buttery, nutty, fruity on taste. Finish is spice and ash. Coats my mouth and makes it feel like I just smoked a cigarette.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
mixamatt (427) - San Francisco, California, USA - SEP 30, 2003
Like the commercial description indicates;I remember the rumours years ago that you had to go to the monestary in the middle of the Belgian countryside,to get their ales and that Westy 12 was only available on certain days.You would go to a window and pick them up in a wooden crate.By the time I was hooked on Belgians I found that some specialised beer stores like Belgian shop and De Bier Konning would make that trip for us.Now it's great yet kind of sad that this Holy grail of beers is so easy to obtain.Anyway back to the beer.Complex sweet sour orange spice,chocolate bread aroma with no alcohol.Dark chestnut appearance with perfect head and small white particles.Thick sweet fruity orange bitter spice, dark fruit flavor.Only a little old fashion bread flavor towards the finish combined with apricots.Lingering fruity aftertaste with very slight hops and no alcohol burn.Strange that the last time I tried this I remember it seemed more like a dark bread bomb.Succulent.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
larsniclas (5741) - Billdal, SWEDEN - SEP 29, 2003
UPDATED: APR 9, 2005 Bottled. Sampled at Stockholm Beer Festival 2003. And rerated 2005. Dark brown. A fresh and yeasty aroma. Warm and soft palate. Spicy, sweet, sugary, ,chocolate, marcipan, candi-flavour, complex.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
WISEGUY572 (1373) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 24, 2003
Wow! Fantastic choice for my 300th rating. Beautiful clear dark reddish brown ale with a small head of tiny, tiny bubbles, fading to almost white lace. Nose and taste of dark malt, espresso, and floral hoppiness, with a huge finish. Does a good job of hiding the taste of its high alcohol content. Hard to find any fault with it at all. Delightful complexity of flavors, near perfect mouth feel. Worth the price, but too strong to drink very often.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
ante (3374) - Stockholm, SWEDEN - SEP 23, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 16, 2007 Deep dark brown color with long-lasting pale head. Very smooth, complex and enjoyable aroma. Apricot, raisin, herbal tea, caramel, honey and white pepper. Beautiful sweet mouthfeel. Taste of caramel, sweet coffee, honey, chocolate, spices, nuts, apricot and red berries. smooth finish with hints of spices, apricot and alcohol. Very, very, very good. Makes you feel like a zen-Buddhist.