overall
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3072   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.44   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Rockinout (966) - Kent, Ohio, USA - OCT 30, 2002
Sometimes the hype is right on, such is the case here. I finished my half of the bottle (split with my wife) before I could discover most of the complexities here. Aroma is not strong but very unique, earthy, fresh, after a spring rain. Tiny bubbles in a tan head, lasting, lacing. Golden orange color with floaties that make it look like a fishtank. Wants to be sweet then stops. Spicy earthiness. Burns the back of the throat for an instant. Alcohol gets stronger as it warms. Also is in the finish. I need another couple of them! Thanks to alcfron for picking this up in Kentucky, along with a couple of others.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
JoeM500 (1902) - Crown Point, Indiana, USA - OCT 30, 2002
UPDATED: MAY 2, 2005 Was almost as fun just to look at it. The nose was bountiful. Too much going on to name. The flavors bounced around in my mouth and grew in number with each sip. ) Grapes and plums, cookie dough and caramel, pizza crust and orange marmalade, yum! Seems evertime I open a new westy 12, I am less impressed.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Ernest (6143) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - OCT 28, 2002
UPDATED: DEC 6, 2013 Bottle at Akkurat (cap date is 11.09.16). Head is initially small, frothy/fizzy, light brown, fully diminishing. Body is hazy medium to dark brown, bottle conditioned. Aroma is moderately malty (caramel, milk chocolate, cookie), lightly yeasty (cobwebs), with notes of raisin, date, orange peel, marshmallow, brown sugar, toffee, cinnamon. Flavor is moderately to heavily sweet, lightly acidic, lightly bitter. Finish is lightly to moderately sweet, lightly acidic, moderately bitter. Medium to full body, watery/syrupy texture, lively/fizzy carbonation, moderately alcoholic. The one Westy that Akkurat had truly FRESH bottles of (probably because short-sighted thrill-seekers only seek out the 12, even though the Blond might actually be the best of the lot), and frankly I dunno if I’ve had a fresher bottle outside of the monastery cafe. This is no longer a style of beer I enjoy very much, but it’s still a very nice, very clean beer. Boozy and very sweet, but balanced very well (surprisingly bitter for the style) in the finish to drink the whole bottle enjoyably. Rich dried dark fruits as expected in the nose, lots of raisin and date, and many layers beneath. It’s hard to say what "the best" Trappist strong brown ale is, but it’s almost certainly this or Rochefort 10, although both are too fizzy, boozy, and sweet for my tastes. Incredibly fun to revisit, though...especially such a fresh sample.

Uglyradio (791) - Greenville, South Carolina, USA - OCT 28, 2002
UPDATED: FEB 15, 2003 This one pours a very dark, cloudy brown color with a medium sized, off-white head that lingers. The aroma is sweet and spicy. After two sips, this beer has become me, the beer is Godly. Full bodied, the flavor is malty, fruity, and bready, with a nice spiciness from the yeasts. Alcohol is not apparent at all. This beer is so smooth and perfectly balanced that my burps almost taste better than the beer itself. The aroma makes you wish you could eat the beer rather than drink it. This stuff is perfect, no overpowering sweetness or bitterness, just a perfect balance that flows through you. Excellent brew!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
p0rnstar99 (1) - USA - OCT 27, 2002 does not count

madsberg (10111) - Søborg, DENMARK - OCT 26, 2002
UPDATED: MAR 20, 2007 Bottled: This is truely a great brew. I’ve had the pleasure of sampling this many time in Belgium and back home in Denmark. Had it as vintage and had it fresh. My personal favourite is a 2 - 3 year old sample. Just when you look at it, you’re in love. The colour is dark and brown with a huge foamy offwhite head. The aroma is fantastic. Ripe fruits, light liqourice, a bit of brown sugar, spice, a subtle sweetness. Flavour as well i out of this world. Smoth, balanced and pleasant. The ripe fruits (raisins and plums) is mingled with spices and the sugary notes. Has a slight touch of alcohol. The vintage samples is a bit more smooth than the fresh ones. Has a fantastic spicy warming end, that last forever. One of these in front of the fireplace with the one you love! Who could ask for more.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
ARMed (597) - Garnet Valley, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 17, 2002
This blows away the 8. I must have had a bad bottle of 8, because this was exceptional. Creamy flowing beer with a flavor that is smooth as silk. Crisp and flavorful. Abundant spices and fruits (plums, grapes, port flavor) blend very well together. My only problem with this beer is the floating sediment that is abundant. The beer is a dark, cloudy and murky brew with chunks of yeast floating about. Not a problem for me though. The flavor is excellent. The aroma also still has a very yeasty smell that is a little overpowering.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
YogiBeera (2435) - Hamburg, GERMANY - OCT 14, 2002
Had this for a while but got so ill, so I wasn’t able to try it. Lying in my feaver dreams the Westy 12 bottle came to me and said:"I ’ll be your life-elixir and bring you back to live. Just drink me! My wonderful roasted, chocolate, plum and butterscotch aroma will free your nose! I will warm you with my nice dark red body and my little layer of a head. Your cough will go away immidiatley cause of my healthy chocolate, alcohol and plum taste. You’ll feel alive cause I tickle your lips and give a a fullmouth aftertaste. Get up and drink me" I did and I’m healthy again. May the Westy 12 be with all of you!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
pivo (2542) - GERMANY - OCT 14, 2002
Smells like a chocolate chip cookie - nice. Dark brown-red color. Light a first, then a bigger malt taste laced with chocolate and nut flavors. Long profile and a great great balance.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
Kåstå (1273) - Mol, BELGIUM - OCT 10, 2002
I have had quite a few crates of this beer. The aroma and taste varies a bit with age. In the young ones you have an uncontrolled bitterness that shines through. With age it develops its taste: port wine, bread, old fruit, choclate, etc. Vintage bottles get a slight petroleum aroma/taste just like old Mosel wines. I think that older versions lose some sweetness. For young bottles, say up to 3-4 months I would probably not rate it more than 4.2. For the more matured it varies between this value up to religious expereience levels.